Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooded lanes

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Flooded lanes

Ugh - last night was awesome. . . heh

Lanes were FLOODED. My Nova would go straight down 5 to pick up the 6-10. Straight down 10 to pick up the 3-6-10. I had some success going down 15 to get to the pocket.

Swing it? BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

I could use my Nova to pick up 10-pins.

And it was about 45-50 feet. We watched my wife's backup to see where it caught and ran. Way longer than normal.

To me? OK, just play it. Have some fun, see what you can do. More forward roll, less rotation, stay inside instead of outside, and just bowl.

My wife had success - she was right around her average.
    I was well under - quite a few splits.
    One opponent was well under until his last game which was 236. He is always an utter PLEASURE to bowl with - really nice guy.
    Another opponent really just ground out - tons of respect to him. He's quite old and has a fused neck . . . but he's a gamer!

We did take all 4 points, which was good.

The other opponents, however, were horribly poor sports. They're "good" (in their own opinion) but can ONLY bowl down and in and only went farther and farther outside, which did not help them at all. And he has a slight BACKspin, which didn't help him at all, and hers was all over the place, but it was the lane's fault. Left me hanging a LOT - I'm pretty conscientious about giving a fistbump or hand slap or something. . . but walk right by me? Nah. And when they noticed my wife's backup ball (which is PRETTY, and is nearly always in or at the pocket. . .) they rolleyed a ton . . . which pissed her off so she kicked both of their arses! Scratch. made me proud! They're likely to lose a bowler. . .

And it wasn't just us. Our high bowlers were 40-50 down. The league next to us, which is HIGH average, was 40-50 down. Their jackpot score was 176 instead of its normal 240+.

I took it as some practice - I've been working to release right . . . last night was an exercise in releasing LEFT. Felt weird.

but picked up the 6-7-10, had some nice strikes but still scored like drek. Oh well - points are points.

/rant

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I'm glad that you and your wife were able to enjoy the evening.

I just don't get the bowlers who grumble about the lanes. It's a game. The point is to try to beat your opponent. Both teams are facing the same conditions so it's a fair competition. Okay, so you're probably screwed if you get in high game pots or brackets, but those are supposed to be side event to the games themselves.
    John

Ringer

Agreed - we also canceled the brackets since we were hoping to get home earlier to get to the hot tub (which we did - moved several tons of flagstones so . . . hot tub good!)

We actually had about as much fun making fun of them as we did bowling! I don't think they realize how much entertainment they actually provided us!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Ugh - last night was awesome. . . heh

Lanes were FLOODED. My Nova would go straight down 5 to pick up the 6-10. Straight down 10 to pick up the 3-6-10. I had some success going down 15 to get to the pocket.

Swing it? BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

I could use my Nova to pick up 10-pins.

And it was about 45-50 feet. We watched my wife's backup to see where it caught and ran. Way longer than normal.

To me? OK, just play it. Have some fun, see what you can do. More forward roll, less rotation, stay inside instead of outside, and just bowl.

My wife had success - she was right around her average.
    I was well under - quite a few splits.
    One opponent was well under until his last game which was 236. He is always an utter PLEASURE to bowl with - really nice guy.
    Another opponent really just ground out - tons of respect to him. He's quite old and has a fused neck . . . but he's a gamer!

We did take all 4 points, which was good.

The other opponents, however, were horribly poor sports. They're "good" (in their own opinion) but can ONLY bowl down and in and only went farther and farther outside, which did not help them at all. And he has a slight BACKspin, which didn't help him at all, and hers was all over the place, but it was the lane's fault. Left me hanging a LOT - I'm pretty conscientious about giving a fistbump or hand slap or something. . . but walk right by me? Nah. And when they noticed my wife's backup ball (which is PRETTY, and is nearly always in or at the pocket. . .) they rolleyed a ton . . . which pissed her off so she kicked both of their arses! Scratch. made me proud! They're likely to lose a bowler. . .

And it wasn't just us. Our high bowlers were 40-50 down. The league next to us, which is HIGH average, was 40-50 down. Their jackpot score was 176 instead of its normal 240+.

I took it as some practice - I've been working to release right . . . last night was an exercise in releasing LEFT. Felt weird.

but picked up the 6-7-10, had some nice strikes but still scored like drek. Oh well - points are points.

/rant
    It’s not often these days to hear about an abundance of oil, always the other way around. lol Sounds like the center is doing its job and you enjoyed it.

I’m all for making the bowlers earn their scores from their expertise than walling the house shot and making 150 bowlers average 180 and 180 bowlers average 220.

It’s a fine line to walk though. Since people are so spoiled these days, instead of stepping up to accept the challenge they will whine and cry and walk away if they can’t shoot 700 every week. Eventually centers have to appease them, give them their baby bottle and make it easier.

Ringer

found out what happened.

New lane machine broke down and while they were waiting for a part, they used the old one which itself needed fixing.

It put down WAY too much oil - like double the normal amount - and he wasn't supposed to re-oil since it wasn't stripping the old, just laying new on the old . . . so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    found out what happened.

New lane machine broke down and while they were waiting for a part, they used the old one which itself needed fixing.

It put down WAY too much oil - like double the normal amount - and he wasn't supposed to re-oil since it wasn't stripping the old, just laying new on the old . . . so . . .
    He must have been chasing out of range calls like crazy all night. LOL

Ringer

A bit of those - we saw quite a bit of pin slidy, but not much completely out of range.

We had the same thing happen at Red Rock Lanes a few years ago. The ball wouldn't move, and it was great fun watching the high average self-proclaimed senior pros refusing to move off of the second arrow. We all bowled really badly, but I had a great time! lol

Think of it as an accidental sport shot

Ringer

That was something of my mindset, yes.

It was interesting last week (we're off tonight for trick-or-treating) - our best bowler had to fight a random dry spot. If he missed just a bit outside, it hit this dry spot at about 25' and would just ANGLE off and he'd go nearly Brook. If he missed just a bit inside, he'd leave a 2-4-10 type split. He was losing trust (trust is a must or your bowling is a bust) and frustrated with himself as much as with the lane.

We're HOPING that the extra week will have them get their newer machine fixed or at LEAST get their old one running correctly. It's been three weeks of this now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast