Thread: Withdrawing from a league

Default Withdrawing from a league

USBC rule 121 says that “two weeks notice must be given along with sufficient cause for resigning” in order to properly withdraw from a league.

“Sufficient cause” is not defined anywhere that I can find in the rules.

What would normally be considered sufficient cause? But…more importantly, what would NOT be considered sufficient cause to resign from a league?

Ringer
    Chats: 0

We had to leave a league due to an inability to get to the league in time (wife was way optimistic in traffic estimates) - we paid 2 weeks' penalty.

I don't know what would NOT be sufficient cause. . .

Ringer

As a league officer, it is none of my business why someone withdraws. As long as they give notice, aren't in arrears, and pay their final 2 weeks that's all I care about.

They can simply say "regrettably I will not be able to continue bowling on the league as of [date]" and that is sufficient enough for me. It's way better than just ghosting the league and creating the hassle that goes along with that type of scenario.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Botwin View Post
    USBC rule 121 says that “two weeks notice must be given along with sufficient cause for resigning” in order to properly withdraw from a league.

“Sufficient cause” is not defined anywhere that I can find in the rules.

What would normally be considered sufficient cause? But…more importantly, what would NOT be considered sufficient cause to resign from a league?
    Like many USBC rules this one is somewhat vague. I believe the intent is to give individual league broad discretion as to whether or not a team or a bowler should be allowed to quit. In other words it’s up to each league to decide what is or isn’t “sufficient cause”. Most leagues take a pretty laid back attitude and are satisfied with the two week notice as long as the bowler hasn’t fallen behind in paying their weekly dues.
    John

Ringer

I think the only real problem would come in if the people leaving would leave a team as invalid . . . then complications come in and it can make things difficult for the league. One league I participated in a LONG time ago required that we would bring in a replacement OR something or other. . . can't really remember that far back. But it was there for that case of screwing up the scheduling and makeup of the league. . .

Ringer

Unfortunately when dealing with large groups of people there is always the prospect of complications. Leagues should always expect things to crop up. No one should ever be judging whether or not someone's reason for leaving is "sufficient". Likewise, no bowler that wants or needs to quit should ever feel like they need to have an excuse. As long as they inform the league, pay the 2 weeks, and don't owe any other dues they should feel free to withdraw.

Chats: 55

Years ago we had a team walk out - told the secretary they were done, because the lanes always break down and the alley didn't maintain the lanes/equipment. There was a vote by the executive committee to determine if that was sufficient cause and if they should receive their prorated prize fund at the end of league. Was a bit contentious conversation but in the end they were awarded the prize fund. They had prepaid the last two weeks, so it was considered they had paid the two week notice.

Most time people just say they have to quit. Commitment changes, jobs, family, whatever they want to say. I don't think I would ever penalize anyone by withholding the prize fund if they want to quit. If they don't want to be there, then most people wouldn't want them there anyway.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Ringer

Leagues at our center all have a bylaw that withdrawing from the league results in a forfeit of all monies paid and prize money earned. The leagues hold to it firmly. People who leave are never given any prorated prize money. The USBC doesn't necessarily like it, but the bylaws are what they are.

There are some bowlers who come in as replacements who will pay the member that left on their own out of their winnings. However for the most part it isn't common around here.

High Roller

We have bowlers quit all the time. The money is divided however each team sees fit. The team receives their share of the prize money. Most teams split it by pro-rating how many games each bowler bowled. The team I was on last year divided it evenly. Not really fair that way as we have guys with 100 games and guys with 40 games. So the guy with 100 games paid in much more to the fund than the guy with 40 games, but it was the way that team did it. If you quit the team then it's up to the team to decide what to do with that persons share.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!