Thread: Using Subs on Position Rounds

Chats: 55

Default Using Subs on Position Rounds

Bowling a new league this year that is match point, 4 quarters. So position round 1 was Oct 31 and it was announced that subs needed 12 games to bowl. All good - think only 1 sub bowled that had over 12 games.

Second quarter position round was on January 2nd and from my poking around/research I beleive a sub bowled that only had 4 games.

Was researching the rules, as both position rounds they announced 12 games needed to bowl. Knowing I was going to miss in May - the 4th position round, I was curious as to how many games our sub would need, as the rules indicate 12 games for the first quarter position round and 20 games for the remaining position rounds.

Since it was "announced" and a sub was allowed to bowl with less than rules stated, what happens now after the fact?

Should I push to allow our sub to bowl if they don't have 20 games in by May?

Or go on my merry way and let the water flow under the bridge, so-to-speak?

Could I challenge the fact the rules only state for Position Rounds, and not Playoff Rounds?

Just for some additional clarification...the rules state:

4. Position rounds will be held on the final week of each quarter only: October 31, 2022; January 2, 2023; February
    27, 2023; and April 24, 2023.
    5. Playoff rounds will be weeks 33, 34, and 35.
    Substitutes must have a minimum of 12 games to bowl on any position round in the first quarter of the
    season, and 20 games after that.
    Last edited by classygranny; 02-28-2023 at 03:35 PM.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I would push to have the rules adhered to, as they were posted/distributed.

For any exception (like a sub with less than the minimum number of games) a captain's meeting SHOULD be held - but obviously it wasn't.

To MY mind, NO subs should be allowed on Position Rounds. To me it goes against the spirit of what a Position Round is - that is, when your TEAM goes up against the corresponding TEAM in the order. Adding a sub just reeks of ringer-ism, you know?

I absolutely bet that you are NOT trying to bring in a ringer - that really isn't my point. It gives the appearance of it.

In any case - I would push for adherence to the rules. In your case, make sure your sub gets their 12 games - I've done that by hanging around on that league's nights, grabbing sub games where I could until I had the required total.

I would also call a captain's meeting and discuss this. Your published rules NEED to be adhered to and if any exceptions are made, they NEED to be made by vote of the captains. NOT by the league officers. There is a process and it keeps overall buy-in to have the teams' representatives vote on things.

My league is doing this as well - and it's not even the Pres who's doing it, it's our Secretary. Granted, it's typically to give a bit of leeway with makeups and such . . . but things need to be done properly.

Thanks Boomer. I plan on following the rules. Guess I was just ranting that a sub was already allowed without the required amount of games.

I'm done with this league after completion in May. Liked it, but hated it.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Ringer

I get ya. And I wasn't implying that YOU would break the rules - I was more pushing that you insist the rules get followed.

My own league is extremely lax with rules . . . but I really like everyone and no decisions have been made (save one that we all voted on so . . . bah) that I disagreed with.

Ringer

I also bowl on a match point, scratch league. Subs are permitted during position rounds, and it isn't unusual for there to be subs during position rounds. We also allow subs for the end of season roll offs, but subs for a roll off must be within 10 pins of the person they are replacing and have at least 9 games bowled on the league. Whenever there are subs present, their presence and eligibility is closely scrutinized and questioned if there are any suspected issues.

If there's a rule, it needs to be enforced just to keep everyone honest and to keep the competition fair. It's too late after bowling is over for the week.

I personally believe there should be no subs permitted at all during position rounds or roll offs. However, no one else on the league would agree to such a change. We have a couple of new teams this season that are already saying they won't be back next season for a variety of reasons. Some of the "veteran" members are also thinking of leaving as well.

Thanks guys! Guess I'm just upset the rules weren't followed and the sub was allowed - AND, it was announced that night that only 12 games were required.

Honestly, part of me thinks the rule should have been voted on and amended to 12 games for all PRs since then, but these prima donna bowlers don't care if it doesn't involve them directly.

We already have a plan in place to have our sub bowl enough to have 20 games in before the 4th quarter play-offs, so all good.

What's already happened is spilled milk and not much can be done about it.