Thread: Using a hair dryer to remove ball oil........

Chats: 0

Default Using a hair dryer to remove ball oil........

Did anyone ever try this? I gave this some thought. Of course it wold take longer to do it and you would have to be careful with the heat adjustment. A hair dryer can go from low heat to very hot heat which is pretty hot. So I was wondering if anyone tried this and would it be possible to do it. So give some thoughts. Is this too crazy of an idea?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

High Roller

I made a cardboard box with a hole in the side and stuck a heat gun in that hole. Then put a cutting board inside to act as a 'diffuser' by creating a separate compartment in the box so the heat wasn't blowing directly on the ball. Then I stuck a thermometer through the cardboard and adjusted the temp by lifting the lid of the box until I could maintain about 130*. Worked well but only ever used it a handful of times
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Did anyone ever try this? I gave this some thought. Of course it wold take longer to do it and you would have to be careful with the heat adjustment. A hair dryer can go from low heat to very hot heat which is pretty hot. So I was wondering if anyone tried this and would it be possible to do it. So give some thoughts. Is this too crazy of an idea?
    I haven’t tried this myself. Given that the reviver ovens treat the balls for at least an hour at a time I can’t imagine anyone with the patience to sit even that long, slowly going around the ball, maintaining a constant distance from the ball. I have read of people like Boatman37 making their own DIY ovens. If I were to try that I would make sure I used it outside with no flammable objects within ten feet.
    John

If you can get some of the old incandescent lightbulbs you can make a heat box pretty easy from some plywood, foam insulation, and a meat thermometer with a cable and probe.

Ringer

I have tried the hair dryer method. It takes a while for sure, but if you do it while watching TV or a sporting event or something it isn't too bad. Just be sure to clean off the oil that oozes out as you go along. Basically heat up the ball until it oozes, wipe down with ball cleaner or isopropyl alcohol, then do it again. Continue until oozing slows down or stops. Also don't let the ball get too hot.