Thread: Bowling courtesy (number of courtesy lanes)

Chats: 0

Default Bowling courtesy (number of courtesy lanes)

The question of number of courtesy lanes that should be observed when bowling. This is a new trio league that I joined for the summer and it is not USBC certified. We have three women on the team. I noticed one of them seemed to be waiting for a long time to bowl. I finally got up the courage to ask her why. She said that people were not giving two lane courtesy and she did not understand it. Well, I have never heard of two lane courtesy. I am 78 years old and have been bowling for a very long time. I have ALWAYS bowled with one lane courtesy. She said that every league she has bowled in at the particular bowling house has always been two lanes. So, I asked some other people and the front desk and the only answer I got was one lane courtesy. I do not want to tell this person they are wrong. If they are comfortable waiting so long to bowl, well that is their choice. But it really really delays the rest of us. so i am asking people here if they feel that two lane courtesy is common. In a quick look over USBC rules I did not really find anything. All inputis appreciated. Thank you.

High Roller

1 lane courtesy in my leagues
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Ringer

From page 91 of the 2022-2023 USBC rule book, discussion on etiquette:

"• Observe one-lane courtesy. The bowler on the right
    should bowl if both reach the approach at the same time. Stay off the approach while you wait."

Thank you so much for this.

In the leagues I bowl in there is a one lane courtesy but in reality it's 2 lanes for the most part. You get use to who needs what and adjust. Some guys will cut you and I have a problem with the one who stand close to the foul line or like to wait on the approach. I just get use to it and wait when needed. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Ringer

Just came back from USBC Nats - single lane courtesy.
    Nearly every league I've ever bowled in - single lane courtesy.

There was ONE tourney I bowled in and kept score in that did two lane courtesy - and it took forever to get done.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by taxexpert2 View Post
    The question of number of courtesy lanes that should be observed when bowling. This is a new trio league that I joined for the summer and it is not USBC certified. We have three women on the team. I noticed one of them seemed to be waiting for a long time to bowl. I finally got up the courage to ask her why. She said that people were not giving two lane courtesy and she did not understand it. Well, I have never heard of two lane courtesy. I am 78 years old and have been bowling for a very long time. I have ALWAYS bowled with one lane courtesy. She said that every league she has bowled in at the particular bowling house has always been two lanes. So, I asked some other people and the front desk and the only answer I got was one lane courtesy. I do not want to tell this person they are wrong. If they are comfortable waiting so long to bowl, well that is their choice. But it really really delays the rest of us. so i am asking people here if they feel that two lane courtesy is common. In a quick look over USBC rules I did not really find anything. All inputis appreciated. Thank you.
    As Ryster pointed out this is covered on page 91 of the rule book. It is not listed in the main body of the rules. I believe the intent was to set one lane as a minimum. A league can adopt 2 lane courtesy or even PBA style lane courtesy if they so choose. It really should be stated in the league rules if it's any thing other than 1 lane courtesy.

In my experience, unsanctioned leagues always have a few bowlers who think it's perfectly fine for them to step up, grab a ball off the return and set up as you are starting your approach. Sanctioned leagues usually have a higher percentage of people observing at least some form of lane courtesy. Leagues with bigger prize funds usually have more bowlers who give and expect 2 lane courtesy no matter what the rules say. And of course Sport leagues always seem to get the guy who thinks ' It's PBA Experience. we should do PBA Courtesy.'
    John

Ringer

We had a bowler hit a 300 last night - about 4 lanes on either side shut down as a courtesy . . . well, so they could watch . . . but yeah.

That's also the exception as well.

High Roller

Yeah if we have someone up for a 300 I give at least a few lanes but I'm usually over there watching them...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!