Thread: Footloose (literally)!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Footloose (literally)!

I realized the other day that the push sole on my pair of T.H.E Nines was wearing through due to my toe drag. I thought these were not supposed to do this (a big knock on the SST8's), but alas, here we are. While taking off the old sole to install the new, I noticed that my sole under the attachment is split almost all the way across through one of those "hinge" thingies. So, I guess I'll be looking for some new shoes. This greatly disappoints me, as these are only like 5-6 years old, and the pair I replaced (SST4's) lasted damn near 20 years. Now that I'm slightly un-enamored with Dexter, I'd like a few recommendations from you folks. I don't slide a ton at release, but there's some there. Also not cool with wearing through a toe once a year, either. Any hints would be appreciated.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Ringer

Same thing happened to a family member's THE 9s after 2 years (sole cracked/tore at the hinge area). Reached out to Dexter, and they admitted that the shoes weren't built for durability. They were primarily designed for comfort and performance. They offered to sell us a replacement pair at cost.

The family member bought Hammer/KR performance shoes and has been extremely satisfied.

I still use Dexter, but prefer the SST6 or SST8. They have pretty much gone to the BOA lacing system on those. Seems OK so far.

Pin Crusher

Anyone here have the 3G Ultra's? Looks like they come with everything for around $200.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Chats: 204

I bought a pair of Pyramid HPXs back about 2015 and replaced them this season. So, they lasted 7 years (took one year off). And, to your point, the 'failure' point of those shoes was also the drag foot. It started separating from the shoe. Not a big deal, but I figured 7 years was fine. The only problem with the new pair is..when I attempted to take the sole off, that came with the shoes, that sole simply ripped in half. Again, not a big deal given I have soles at multiple slide capabilities...but it would have been nice to have another sole to use, if needed. Instead, it just went in the garbage.

But, overall, I'd recommend the HPXs. Good shoe...comparable with Dexter SSTs...but for less cost.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer

The Pyramid HPX shoes are rebranded KR shoes. Brunswick used to sell these same exact shoes as the Brunswick TPU-X (I have a pair that I've never really used; I keep them as an emergency backup but otherwise hate the way they feel).