Thread: What does within 2 weeks really mean?

Chats: 55

Default What does within 2 weeks really mean?

Some people can nit-pick the rules to pieces....Need opinions.

Our league rules state:
    All postponement and pre-bowl requests must be approved by the executive board.
    Teams may request to bowl unopposed before or after a regularly scheduled match. All requests must be made through the league at least 48 hours in advance of the regularly scheduled league session except for emergencies. Pre-bowls and post-bowls must be completed within 2 weeks of the scheduled match or a forfeit will be declared. All pre or post bowled games must be completed prior to position rounds.

Facts:
    1) The team incurred an emergency and requested to post bowl for the session on October 6th.
    2) The team wants to post bowl for the October 6th session, after they bowl the October 20th session.

Executive board has an inquiry to see if that time-frame meets the “within 2 weeks of the schedule match”?

What say you, if you were an Executive Board member?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Some people can nit-pick the rules to pieces....Need opinions.

Our league rules state:
    All postponement and pre-bowl requests must be approved by the executive board.
    Teams may request to bowl unopposed before or after a regularly scheduled match. All requests must be made through the league at least 48 hours in advance of the regularly scheduled league session except for emergencies. Pre-bowls and post-bowls must be completed within 2 weeks of the scheduled match or a forfeit will be declared. All pre or post bowled games must be completed prior to position rounds.

Facts:
    1) The team incurred an emergency and requested to post bowl for the session on October 6th.
    2) The team wants to post bowl for the October 6th session, after they bowl the October 20th session.

Executive board has an inquiry to see if that time-frame meets the “within 2 weeks of the schedule match”?

What say you, if you were an Executive Board member?
    I would vote that it should be done before the regularly schedules October 20th games. My reasoning is that the intent of the rule is to minimize the weeks that for which the standings would have to be recalculated.
    John

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Doing it after the 10/20 would be my vote. Work schedules can be a pain and working within existing available schedules at the bowling center can also be a pain - if the center is ok with them going late (if it's an evening league) I'd say go for it.

To my mind, rules should not be a straightjacket. 2 weeks, to me as a captain, would include that 14th day.

My single unbreakable rule is, "While there may be an exception to every rule, an exception does not a good rule make." This would include 10/20.

We have also had exceptions made, for us, when my father-in-law went in the hospital for heart and pneumonia and then passed away. No formal vote was taken, but as he was a part of our team and really loved by everyone there they all were good with whatever amount of time we needed (we took just over the 2 weeks - I think we started making up like a Wednesday after Monday league. . .) - but again, that was an exception, which we've made again for others with that type of emergency.

Rules should give structure but should not be a straightjacket.

Ringer

If the rule is "within 2 weeks of the scheduled match", and the original match was scheduled 10/6 at 1:00PM, then the post bowling needs to be done before 1:00PM on 10/20. Seems pretty straight forward.

The board can certainly vote and grant some sort of exception, but if they do so the decision should be based on the team showing why they couldn't field a legal lineup and get it done before that time on the 20th. Flexibility is fine but should be fair and reasonable.

Finally got an answer from USBC rules...

If October 20th is exactly two weeks, it would be considered within two weeks.
    Jennifer Land
    Rules Counselor
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Ringer

So the USBC is only looking at calendar dates and not time?

If the team bowls on the 13th, and then bowls their normal scheduled match on the 20th, there is no reason why they could not make an effort to get their makeup games from the 6th bowled before the normal matches on the 20th.

Now that the USBC has confirmed the 20th is the last day, they have to get it done by then. I wouldn't allow them any additional time even if they ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    So the USBC is only looking at calendar dates and not time?

If the team bowls on the 13th, and then bowls their normal scheduled match on the 20th, there is no reason why they could not make an effort to get their makeup games from the 6th bowled before the normal matches on the 20th.

Now that the USBC has confirmed the 20th is the last day, they have to get it done by then. I wouldn't allow them any additional time even if they ask for it.
    Apparently it is by calendar. Our league went to a 2 person legal line up this year instead of 1 and it is causing lots of prebowls and post bowls. This team has a person out of the country, one out of state with a sick relative and then 1 comes down with pneumonia. They most likely will make up on the 20th after bowling the regular session.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Apparently it is by calendar. Our league went to a 2 person legal line up this year instead of 1 and it is causing lots of prebowls and post bowls. This team has a person out of the country, one out of state with a sick relative and then 1 comes down with pneumonia. They most likely will make up on the 20th after bowling the regular session.
    Did they bowl on the 13th, or did they miss that date as well? It's all good for the league to be understanding and accommodate the various issues the teams have, but it does get to a point where it will start to weigh on the league as standings get delayed and they don't really know where they stand.

It might be better to go back to a 1 person legal lineup next season to reduce the pre and post bowls. The various issues being experienced can be used as supporting evidence to change it back.