Thread: Bowlers not following rules in a sanctioned league

Chats: 204

Unhappy Bowlers not following rules in a sanctioned league

So, last night...I noticed one of the balls on the rack was completely cracked, all the way around. I pointed it out and one of the opponents took it back to their table to look at it. Later on, that ball was back on the rack. I tried to figure out who was using it (otherwise can't we put it back in the bag or at least under the rack??), but it was only being used by one opponent as a spare ball.

So, it bothered me that he was essentially using illegal equipment. Same as the Motiv Jackal situation...you still come across the occasional bowler that never got their Jackal's re-drilled or exchanged...they just keep using them.

BUT, I didn't want to make a fuss. The team is very cool to bowl against and the guy using the illegal ball is a nice guy. It just bothered me. So, finally I told him; "I didn't 'care', but I was just letting him know that is an illegal ball with it cracked like that. He seemed not to know that, but he kept using it.

It's one of the things I like LEAST about sanctioned play...not the rules...because that's a positive (for me) about sanctioned leagues. It's the times when someone is technically breaking a rule...and you feel akward trying to enforce anything. Nobody wants to be "that guy" that is a stickler for rules and is constantly correcting other people's behavior...especially when its a bowler on your team or an opponent that is a pleasant bowler.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Shortly after the balance hole ban went into effect we had a bowler roll a 300 against us with a balance hole. He is a nice guy and pretty sure he just didn't know. Nobody said anything about it but he eventually got that hole plugged. We also have a new team of new bowlers that just started in our 2nd 3rd and he has a thumbhole but bowling 2 handed with no thumb. His average is like 130. I assumed he probably didn't know so I told him about the rule when we were bowling them. Told him I didn't care and wasn't gonna turn him in but somebody might later so wanted to be sure he knew. He must have known cause he didn't say anything but turned to their captain, who I have known for about 30 years, and said something to him about me mentioning it. I think he was pretty upset with me. So after I let him cool down I sat at their table and just talked general bowling with him and his team and he started acting cool with me and laughing. Not sure if he ever got it plugged but at his level (or anyones really) I don't think having that thumbhole is gonna make any difference in his scores but just wanted him to at least know in case someone else gave him a problem down the road.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

Very similar situation.

It was very awkward...or maybe there's a better word for it....but 2 Sundays ago...I was getting ready to bowl and I heard an "outburst" from nearby. It was the league president having an argument with some kid...on the team with all new bowlers, very low average team. It sounded like...he had told the kid that there was a rule the kid was violating. The kid must have either ignored him or kept doing it. Or, maybe his ball bounced out of the gutter...hit the 10-pin and the team didn't change the score. Something like that. I just remember hearing the president (who is a very, very large man) yelling, "it's a ****** sanctioned league! It's a sanctioned league!"

Now, in that case...I think it would have been more appropriate to have a calm conversation and offer to show him how to change the score. Perhaps he could have called a captain's meeting to take a vote on whether the league allows "gutter 10-pins" and desanctions, or the team in question changes the score. Or...he could have just made it a formal complaint, their team would forfeit 1-4 games. They could then explain it at the captain's meeting the following week.

What makes it 'awkward' is...the same president is the vice-president of this league...and he was sitting one table away from this situation. Like deja vu.

But in THAT case, it's a new bowler. He didn't know. He's bowling like he would at open bowling. In the case I came across, we're talking a bowler that averages 218. He's a legitimate bowler, very athletic build, and throws a very high-rev 1-handed shot. I think he even bowled in college...but I may be wrong.

I think he's...putting myself in his head...I think he's thinking that he'll replace it at the end of the season...and it's only his spare ball, so it wouldn't affect his chance at an honor score.

The problem is, throwing a ball with a crack all the way around the ball...could theoretically damage the lane surface and ball returns. In some cases, pieces might break off onto the lane.

But, now I can't really say anything...because the guy knows I'm the one that brought it up...so if he gets challenged on it anytime soon, he's gonna think I'm the 'bad guy'.

Granted, I'm used to being the bad guy...but still.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Not very many of us want to be known as the 'rule Nazis', but still there are rules. Coaching the kids I do focus on things like lane courtesy since so many of the newbies are used to the open bowling/Birthday party anything goes as long as the center employees don't start yelling. With adult leagues, I'm there to bowl not enforce the rules. With the cracked ball I would probably just say that "There's a chance that ball could foul up the ball return and we'll either have to change to another pair or wait 10-15 minutes until it gets fixed". Score corrections I do point out and as far as I know a sanctioned league can not waive any of the rules about scoring, unless it's a no-tap league but that is only to count nines as strikes.

Back to the youth our biggest problem is the rule about having to use all the holes. You want kids who are starting out to try different things. The parent may have just spent $100+ on a ball, bag and shoes for the kid and now the kid starts going back and forth between one and two hands so now they have to spent more money on a ball the kids going to outgrow next year to have the thumb plugged.
    Last edited by J Anderson; 02-09-2024 at 11:16 AM.
    John