Thread: off-set grip

Default off-set grip

I was watching the PBA this weekend and saw that M. Fagan uses an off-set grip on his equipment. I was thinking about testing it out on some of my equipment. Does anyone here use this grip? benifits? downfalls? Thank you for your insite

Fagan uses a sarge easter grip, mainly because he is a big power player on tour. It is commonly used by the higher rev players, since it will promote more forward roll, rather than side rotation. When you first start using it, you will see a significant decrease in your rev rate, but after getting used to it, it should go back to normal.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I think I recall Robert Smith going to that a while back. The ring finger is a conventional grip and the middle is a fingertip. It does seem to kill some revs and give a little more side roll.

A sarge easter grip will only kill revs in the beginning, as it requires a period of time to get used to it. After that, your rev rate will go back to normal. It also doesn't promote sideroll, but rather, forward roll, since a sarge easter grip allows you to stay behind the ball longer, thus coming up the back of it.
    Glenn Cox
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I stand corrected, sir. Obviously the things I've read before were inaccurate.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

For those who haven't seen the Sarge Easter grip they are talking about heres picture from brunsnick.

Click Here for larger image

For Robert Smith's layout and info look here.
    Click Here

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Default grip

any recomendations of a grip that would increase rev rate? i was also thinking of going with a reverse pitch in my thumb and a forward pitch in my fingers to try and use the yo-yo type release to create more backend snap. i noticed in league last night that if I rev it a little more than it comes back a little more flush to the 1-3 and feels like it hits better. defanatly noticed a better carry.

I am not sure that there is actually a grip out there that will increase your rev rate. It basically revolves around how quick your thumb exits the ball, and how hard you can come around it. I personally have quite a high rev rate, and I find that cupping the ball throughout the swing, and using a slightly larger thumbhole than I need, both help me increase it a tad more when needed.
    Glenn Cox

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jmainville View Post
    any recomendations of a grip that would increase rev rate? i was also thinking of going with a reverse pitch in my thumb and a forward pitch in my fingers to try and use the yo-yo type release to create more backend snap. i noticed in league last night that if I rev it a little more than it comes back a little more flush to the 1-3 and feels like it hits better. defanatly noticed a better carry.
    Check out this article from BTM by Slowinski he talks about using a Strong finger position entering into the
    release as the key to high revs

http://www.bowlingknowledge.info/ima...inskiapr08.pdf

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Default rev rate

thanks for the article, alot of good info in there. I had a black widow bite drilled last night with a slightly more reverse thumb pitch. should exit the ball quicker and gain a couple revs. I have one of the highest rev rates on my league now, but I noticed with just a little more it opened up the lane a bit and carried a whole lot better. I catch myself muscling the ball more than I should(with my brain trying to tell my hand that more muscle build more revs)did a little practice last night for about an hour and worked on a different hand position that I never used before, added a little more flip instead of roll and help the backend reaction. thanks for all the help. new to the forum but feel like I fit in.