Thread: Practice...

Default Practice...

Here's a video I put together of me practicing a few days ago. If you are not into the background music, please forgive me...I thought it be cool to have with the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSkze-B9Zqg

While watching the video, I noticed that after my release, I would always...or for the most part...turn to my right. I thought it's because I start off with my non-sliding foot at a 45 degree angle. From my starting point, I'm trying to throw a straight line as possible playing between the 10-13 board. Maybe it's also because my shoulders aren't parallel to the foul ine...I don't know...

If anyone could check it out, I'd gladly accept any constructive critism...any help or tips I can receive I would glady appreciate it!

Mahalo!
    Current Ball: Hammer Road Hawg
    Current Spare Ball: Brunswick TZone
    Current Bowling Center: Brunswick Mesa
    Current League: Saints and Sinners

In the continued efforts of improving my game, here is where I'm at...
    Low Game:92 (really bad day!)
    High Game:211 (awesome!)

Status of league play: As of 3/08/2009
    Last League play average: 171
    Running average: 157

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Your Balance is excellent! Which in my opinion is key for consistancy of hitting your mark. You look pretty comfortable too and relaxed. How was the lane conditions? Was there a lot of oil?

Thanks for posting the video.
    Brent
    www.alltenback.com

Default RE: Practice...

Quote Originally Posted by alltenback View Post
    Your Balance is excellent! Which in my opinion is key for consistancy of hitting your mark. You look pretty comfortable too and relaxed. How was the lane conditions? Was there a lot of oil?

Thanks for posting the video.
    Brent
    www.alltenback.com
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! The lane conditions were medium...they weren't oily or dry...but then again I'm trying to read the lanes better...do you have any suggestions on how to read lanes better or quicker? I can tell how the ball is traveling wether it's heavy or light but don't know how to parlay that into oily or dry lanes...

Mahalo!
    Current Ball: Hammer Road Hawg
    Current Spare Ball: Brunswick TZone
    Current Bowling Center: Brunswick Mesa
    Current League: Saints and Sinners

In the continued efforts of improving my game, here is where I'm at...
    Low Game:92 (really bad day!)
    High Game:211 (awesome!)

Status of league play: As of 3/08/2009
    Last League play average: 171
    Running average: 157

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 2315

If I understand your question correctly in the above post, a good way to tell what condition you're bowling on is to gauge how much your ball is hooking compared to how much it normally does as well as to know how much oil the ball is meant for. An example would be if the ball you're throwing is meant for medium oil and it's not hooking much at all, you're probably on heavy oil, and if it hooks a lot more than usual you're probably on drier lanes. I hope that's the kind of answer you were looking for.

As for your video, I saw only one thing that I'd change for sure. Notice the position your trail leg is in at release, the heel is leading. It's hard for me to explain but you want the toes to be further left than the heel. I believe the way you are positioning it now is the reason you're turning to the right.

Chats: 0

DaRoadHawg

Nice work on the video! Let me first say that you do a lot of things well. If you are self taught, good job. I watched it once and had a few things that jumped out at me which decrease targeting and are what I refer to as power robbers.
    1) If you ever had anyone say post the shot - do it. I have never met anyone for a lesson that knows what that means so here is an explanation from Mo Pinel - "Don't move your feet until the ball hits the pins".
    2) Your head is bobbing up and down from start to finish - means your center of gravity is also moving up and down. Lower center of gravity is better for leverage and balance. Steady level head
    3) Your first step is under the ball. You will see your hips move left as the ball swings past. That step delays the ball drop which at the end of the swing causes you to pull the ball down - Never step under the ball - put the first step in front of the other foot.

Work on those three things and make them part of your game, do another video and compare the two and I will look forward to seeing the improved you on another post.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Default reading lanes

Reading the lanes take a while to perfect but a way that I always start to read them is by taking a "benchmark ball" like a med oil ball and stand at the center dot. and shoot from there. That should help you see if the shot is flooded or dry.. This method works well when you are bowling in a tournament with multiple squads with no re-oil. After you see the ball reaction you can choose to go to a more/ less aggressive ball or layout or just adjust left or right with the current ball.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

hey every video is same, we want something different video about the bowling board.

I seen what look like the ball came off your hand a little early which will result in less hook. Add a piece of tape to get more hand in the ball and increase revs. Second the ball roll and your style of bowling is similar to mine...I crouch a little prior to bowling, this starts me and keeps me in the delivery position so I dont have to "drop" my body. Move your body so the outside part of your left foor is one board left of center and aim at the 7-8 board. Go down and in. The ball will move!