Thread: Your tips on staying consistent

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Your tips on staying consistent

I just got into into bowling about a year ago and bowling my first league right now. I have an avg of 159 right now and having some consistency problems. I have learned how to make good feet adjustments but I guess I am having trouble with speed consistency. I have tossed a Total Inferno for a while ans just recently started rolling my new "Ebonite The One Pearl". this ball is massive but it is a huge learning curve for me. It shreds the pins good but I have to throw it completely different than my other ball.I bowled 2 times with it and average a 155 and 161 but I should've shot 200s every time. I know alot of it may be concentration but i am just looking for some tips! thanks

Eddie M

Chats: 3

When I bowled varsity on the high school team, the coaches had us in the weight room at least a few times a week. building up arm strength is key to maintaining speed through all 3 games. We also practiced for 2 hours, 5 days a week. Not that you have to go that overboard, but the more games you throw, the less and less you're going to notice a decrease in speed.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

What is Bowling?

It's one big routine for me, which seems to have helped quite a bit recently. I always wipe down my ball, making sure my right hand never touches the ball (no oil on fingers!). I make sure my shoulders are square and arm is out to my side, elbow resting against hip. I keep the ball low around buckle area, and concentrate on my target. Always remember to bend the knees and lay the ball down nice and smooth creating least friction as possible.

What is Bowling?

Hey Eddie , I read what you wrote, and wanted to find out if the two balls are the same weight ? and are they drilled differently? If they are then that is why you get two different reactions when you throw the two balls. Look at the pin positions on each ball. learn how they react when you throw that particular ball. Figure out which one you like better. and use one for your strick shot and the other for your spare shot. But remember, being consistant is just in practicing.

What is Bowling?

I'm thinking the speed issue you are talking about isn't that your speed drops off as the games progress, but you can't maintain consistent speed from one shot to the next.

With that as the assumption and along with the other tips given here, practice a consistent push away. What I mean is, if you want the same ball speed each time, you have to swing the ball from the same place. If you want less speed, hold the ball lower, toward the floor. Or if you want more speed, hold the ball higher toward your chin.

Additionally, invest in some cheap plastic, a spare ball. Practice shooting your spares with it. This will be the easiest and fastest way to raise your average.

What is Bowling?

Eddie,
    Like others have said on here consistancy comes with practice but make sure you are practicing the right things. I have been playing this game for a long time now but I always go back to the basics when I struggle. Make sure you have good basics such as approach and movements. Mostly just be consistant in what you do and develop muscle memory. Once your muscles are trained to do the task it becomes much easier to stay consistant. Same routine every time helps! Here is what I do, once I am set I count 1,2 go. I do this everytime and when I say go that tells my mind and body it is time to perform and muscle memory takes over.