Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wait an hour and a half?

Default Wait an hour and a half?

I went to go bowling today, and I have to drive 20 minutes to Indianapolis to go bowling because the one in town is for drunks and teenagers who don't care about life...

I got there and seen people standing around the front door and thought "this can't be good."

I went up to the counter and asked for a lane for an hour, and I was told there was an hour and a half wait for a lane.

What would you do if you were told this?

Would you just leave, would you sign up on the list and wait? If you signed up, would you hang around and watch other bowlers, or would you leave?

I'd like to hear about what different people do.

I for one said "oh" and walked out the door. I'm going tomorrow instead on a "bowling date" with a girl I'm going to try to start dating, so this wil be interesting.
    16 lb Rattler

All Times...

High Score: 216
    High Series: 460
    High Average: 157
    Low Score: 98
    Low Series: 308
    Low Average: 98

Chats: 0

It would depend on two things - 1)how much I really wanted to bowl and 2) where the center was located. If I really wanted to bowl and there was not another center near enough, it wouldn't matter the wait I'd put my name on the list.

If I sort of wanted to bowl and it was in a place similar to my home center which is located at the end of a shopping plaza, I would put my name on the list and walk down the row of shops and spend the time. If there were nothing to do, I'd probably leave and call ahead the next time to see what the situation was like.

If I went to bowl out of boredom, it wouldn't matter where it was located, I'd leave.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

It used to be common for waits that long for open bowling. We'd get on the list and go to the game room or the snack bar, or after I was older, the bar.

I agree with TP. 20 minutes was already spent on getting there. 20 more minutes and you'd be at home. That's 40 minutes with no bowling. Putting your name down and waiting is half the battle...it's like bowling. Don't over think your shot, just bowl your best...=...Put your name down, get a beverage or something for your belly....and people watch...LOL! I'm sure there are lots of things to do to kill time in that kind of situation.
    Current Ball: Hammer Road Hawg
    Current Spare Ball: Brunswick TZone
    Current Bowling Center: Brunswick Mesa
    Current League: Saints and Sinners

In the continued efforts of improving my game, here is where I'm at...
    Low Game:92 (really bad day!)
    High Game:211 (awesome!)

Status of league play: As of 3/08/2009
    Last League play average: 171
    Running average: 157

well for me i would think about it while watching others bowl then tell them to put me on the list if i ,m showing up at the lanes i,m bowling... talk about drunks we have college night at my local center after we get down with league and boy does this place fill up but thats corporate for you i guess(amf)..

put me on the list ....i,m bowling..
    Last edited by 11 in a row; 03-17-2009 at 10:04 AM.
    jason poe
    Personal Game Highs
    299 & 300 (Back 2 Back Weeks)
    Current average 209
    proud member of [U]bowlingboards.com

I agree...and I totally understand the open bowling concept. It's to have fun, right? But to not know anything about bowling etiquette or the safety hazards of bowling. It's posted in the restrooms and they play a short video on the tv screen in between the bowling scores...but hey, I feel like it's good practice with the distractions with birthday parties going on my left side and a group of college kids screaming and bowling between their legs....hmmm, the younger years...
    Current Ball: Hammer Road Hawg
    Current Spare Ball: Brunswick TZone
    Current Bowling Center: Brunswick Mesa
    Current League: Saints and Sinners

In the continued efforts of improving my game, here is where I'm at...
    Low Game:92 (really bad day!)
    High Game:211 (awesome!)

Status of league play: As of 3/08/2009
    Last League play average: 171
    Running average: 157

This happens to me all the time on Saturday nights If i go around 11 p.m. However, since I have a reputation in the center and they know I am a serious bowler, they will bump me up on the list so I can get a lane faster. It will only happen if there are groups of 3 or 4 people ahead of me though, since all I need is a single lane.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature

I went to the alley again two days ago to bowl, and there was supposed to be a 20 minute line... OK, so like what RoadHawg said, 20 minutes there, 20 minute wait, but I thought it would be worth it. So I put my name down for the regular lanes (cosmic bowling on half of the lanes). I sat down and watched people bowl. 10 minutes turned into 20. 20 minutes turned into 40. 40 minutes turned into an hour. An hour turned into 2 hours.

My name was finally called. By this time, it's 11pm, and I was supposed to be home half hour ago and had gotten a call from my grandmother asking where I was. I stayed and bowled, but I wanted to make the 2 hour wait worth it (spent $40 in the arcade and on the food there cause I got hungry and bored).

Low game was a 112, high game is used to be a 192, is now a 216
    16 lb Rattler

All Times...

High Score: 216
    High Series: 460
    High Average: 157
    Low Score: 98
    Low Series: 308
    Low Average: 98

What is Bowling?

2hr wait...I'd of pulled the fire alarm
    if you can't reserve a lane then guess you got to make friends with somone at the counter

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by TJSieling View Post
    I went to go bowling today, and I have to drive 20 minutes to Indianapolis to go bowling because the one in town is for drunks and teenagers who don't care about life...

I got there and seen people standing around the front door and thought "this can't be good."

I went up to the counter and asked for a lane for an hour, and I was told there was an hour and a half wait for a lane.

What would you do if you were told this?

Would you just leave, would you sign up on the list and wait? If you signed up, would you hang around and watch other bowlers, or would you leave?

I'd like to hear about what different people do.

I for one said "oh" and walked out the door. I'm going tomorrow instead on a "bowling date" with a girl I'm going to try to start dating, so this wil be interesting.
    I couldn't stomach that long a wait. 45 minutes is about my max. I usually put my name on the list, stretch, check the tape in my equipment, and watch the bowling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast