Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rogue Cell Review

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Rogue Cell Review

Within the first week of drilling up the ROGUE, I have found that the ROGUE CELL is a great addition to the CELL lineup. The ROGUE allows the bowler a reaction option that falls between the original CELL and the CELL PEARL. For a low track player, the spinner’s dream layout is just that, a dream. The ROGUE reads the midlane very well and if the bowler should miss his mark left, it can hold the line and drive hard to the pocket. Miss right and the ROGUE has the ability to recover with a continuous motion into the pocket that drives through the pins.
    Last edited by Bwinter5800; 03-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.

My Axis is 5 5/8 right, ¼ up, my speed is average and I would consider myself with higher revs but more up the back. So not a cranker but not really straight either.

I drilled this ball very strong with the pin under my ring finger and MB in a strong position which put the CG positive and in the thumb weight quadrant. Then we put a hole just right of my thumb hole pitched away from thumb and brought the weight to 7/8 side and 0 finger, thumb.

This ball is very strong. I’ve used it on several patterns. On a drier house shot if I hit the dry too soon it wants to jump hard. However, if I kept it in the oil I could open the lane way up and keep moving left and it would always come back. On the oilier Kegal and PBA shots it works great because it is so strong. This is a great ball for oil or to just stand left and throw it out. It reads the mid lane very good and it continues on the back end very well. Only fault is it is not the ball for the driest of lanes. Leave those lanes for the Mars.

Ron Case - RotoGrip Staff
    Last edited by The KingPin; 04-21-2009 at 10:25 PM.

What is Bowling?

Default Cell Rogue

My Cell Rogue is drilled with the pin under the fingers. The layout is 4” pin from PAP and 2 1/2” Mass Bias from PAP. There is an extra hole on the PAP.

I stroke the ball with average ball speed and usually play down the boards.

I like the versatility of this offering. I was able to score equally as well when playing on a 36’ condition and swinging the ball or on a 42’ shot and going directly down the oil line.

I had a 6 game break in period, before the ball began to really react. But now the ball is really performing.

This ball has a more angular move to the pocket than the Cell and starts in the mid lane sooner than the Cell Pearl. The hitting power and the backend reaction are as expected strong and continuous.

Mike Johnston
    Roto Grip Staff

SPECS: 3-4” pin 3.25oz top

DRILLING: 4x4 with 2”buffer, 1 1/8” hole on VAL 2” below PAP.

SURFACE: box finish

After drilling this beauty I was a little disappointed at first, all because there was not enough oil around here for this strong of drilling on the new Rogue. My recommendation is not to drill this ball with the pin closer then 5” Unless you bowl on an absolute flood.

THS- I really didn’t get the best read in league with this, starting league playing between 4-5 arrow just didn’t seem right, but I did it anyway. The reaction I got was the strongest mid-lane read I have seen yet from the Cell line, but just enough pop on the back for it to strike. I only got about 15 frames before I had to switch to my Pearl Cell it was starting to burn up so I figured I would switch before losing my set. The Cell Pearl matches up really well to the new Rogue.

USBC Open- I bowled a tournament that put this pattern down, it was 8 games across the house (24lanes). Since we were only bowling 1 game then moving to a new pair, each pair play different, because of the different play and lack of team break down strategy. The Rogue gave me the most consistent look even though each pair was different. On this pattern the ball work relatively good playing out, but as so as I had to migrate toward the middle of the lane it went too far before making its move. So as I had to move in I switch to my regular Cell (1000 abrolon) and was the magic guess (200 over for my last 3 games).

In closing I think the Rogue is my favorite Cell as of yet, it clears the heads like the pearl, but still reads the mids well with strong continuous back-end.If you have any further questions you can reach me a strike2win@hotmail.com

I will be drilling my second Rogue this week, and will give a Review of that after some play with it. Thanks!

Jacob Bedard
    Roto Grip Staff

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Roto grip - rogue cell

Out of the box this ball is very aggressive and is good for heavier oiled lanes. I did not have much success with this ball on a typical house shot. Once I got this ball onto a sport style oil pattern this ball came to life and gave me a very good reaction that is controllable. This ball has a good mid-lane reaction and a very strong aggressive and angular back reaction. This ball for sure crushes pins! It has a good consist reaction and the ball over all does not give an over/under reaction on whatever you are bowling on. It delivers all the anticipation that bowlers are looking for and it is a must have ball.
    BRANDON HARRIS
    Amateur Roto Grip Staff

Smile Rogue Cell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Based on the early reviews, even before the Rogue was being shipped to the Pro Shops, it appears Hank & the Boys at Roto Grip has another ball in the running for Ball of the Year 2009...Being a 71 year old LH Stroker, my 1st Rogue layout has the 3 inch pin below the ring finger & CG one inch out with X-hole. With hand behind ball it gets down the lane with a smooth flip at the break point with hard hitting carry...As others have said, not a dry lane league ball. I found this out in 1st league warm up. I had to move to far right & even though I could get ball back to pocket, I left 6-7 pins in a row, so back in the bag and out came the Cell Pearl..My 2nd league at a diff. house has a longer & wider oil pattern. I could go 10 to 5 board staying behind ball shot 268-258-742 in 1st league outing..A week later in a Open Tournament on USBC pattern I could go straight up 5-7 with a strong back-end & super carry..In the 6 game qual. changing lanes, had high games of 268-258-248.... Last Sunday 3/15 in another tournament, had a 300 middle game in 3 game qual. and a 279 in the 1 game semies.. Since I'm retired & spend 6-7 months in Az. & the balance in Fremont, Mi. for the summer, I have bowling ties there. My Grand Daughters & two sons all use Roto Grip balls(what else).....Son Mike, a Right Hander wanted a Rogue for Vegas next month..He had it drilled about 10 days ago..Last Tues. 3/17..he shot 268-204-269-744. Two nights later 3/19, he had his 1st 800...226-289-300-815.. He can't wait for Vegas....Wait, there's more... In the same league on 3/19, at Fremont Lanes, Tom Margo, owner of Toms Pro Shop had his 2nd 300 with his Rogue Cell..His 1st was the week before in his 1st game out of the box. A special Thanks to Roto Grip for all they do for the Senior High-Roller Tournaments..... Larry Hoffman, Roto Grip Advisory Staff....

Default Rogue Review

They just keep gettin better. What the original Cell may lack in angle the Rogue makes up for it. What the Cell Pearl lacked in ability to handle heavier oil, the Rogue makes up for it. Every ball has its place in our order is what we are told and this one has been able to take just about every spot in my bag. The only regret with this one so far is that I don't have more than two but that can problem is easily solved.

I have used both of the ones I have drilled up on 3 different lane surfaces and haven't put them down since I got them. I am a medium rev with medium speed player who enjoys playing different parts of the lane whenever possible. I map out all of my equipment using the Dual Angle Layout technique and the first one is drilled with a 65 degree initial angle and 4.75" ping distance and 45 degree VAL angle, and a weight hole in the lower thumb quadrant strong middlane roll position. Box surface on this one with a slight glaze. Very clean through the front with very agressive arc at the end of the pattern. The more I let the ball do what it wants to do(which is HOOOOOOOKKKK!!!!) the better it reacts. I have not had a problem with this ball recovering off of the break point even on a very deep inside line.
    The second Rogue I have drilled up is 80 degree initial angle and 6.25" pin to PAP distance with a 60 degree VAL angle, Weight hole below thumb adjacent thumb line. This ball was drilled Specifically for the Cheetah pattern and houses with lots of friction to the outside. Again clean through the front half with a strong controlled arc on the back end part of the lane and what a monster when it hits. Example: I know my ball speed was up and I know what the machines look like out back but I threw a pin over the middle and onto the pin deck of the lane next to me. Could have been a coincedence and a pin just fell out of the other rack but the timing was too perfect. I should have asked the mechanic to count them but didn't. All I gotta say is wow.
    In my opinion the best high end performance ball on the market.

What is Bowling?

My stats are PAP 41/2 over and 1/4 up average to slower ball speed with a 325 rev rate. I am right handed

Drilled two of these balls and they are as good as advertised. One of them is drilled with the pin 5" from the PAP which puts the pin under my middle finger. I have used in this ball on the Kegel pattern Highway to hell and it was a pefect fit between my Pro Pin Cell (which is at 2000 finish) and The Cell Pearl. The other Rogue is drilled with a 6" pin above my middle finger this ball is in box with storm polish and this ball goes about another foot down lane and has more backend that the first Rogue. This ball will be able to be used on many different patterns but keep in mind that is NOT for drier lanes.

Ed Riffle
    Roto Grip Staff

What is Bowling?

Drilled 2 so far
    1st - 5 x 3 w/ 2" pin buf pin above ring finger
    2nd - 4 x 4 pin below ring finger
    The first rogue I polised with storm polish and this ball clears the heads very easily with a very mild mid lane and a strong snap to the pocked with a very hard hit.
    The second rogue I left box finish and amazingly this clears the heads with ease has a very good read on the mid ans a stonger arc to the pocket again with a pin crushing hit at the pins.I tried these ball in three different centers the first at a wood lane house the second in abrunswick overlay center and the third was on brunswick synthetic house. Thanks Rich Mueller Roto Grip Pro Shop Staff

What is Bowling?

My Rouge Cell is drilled with a 5" pin from pap, 3" mass bias to pap with a 2" pin buffer. What I was looking for with this layout was a ball I could go to when my Cell with similiar layout was either too early or started to give up on the backend....what I got was alot more than I expected. I have thrown my Rogue Cell on a typical house shot and the kegel pattern highway to hell. On the house shot this ball is just silly....while playing 20 at the arrows I had no out of bounds and shots that were tugged inside the oil still rolled up strong and carried the 7, i could see bowling huge scores with this ball on easy patterns. On the highway to hell I could play 12 to 6-7 or I could move in deeper and slow down my speed and actually open up the lane. My favorite Roto Ball yet has been the original Cell since I have faster ball speed but with the few times I have used the Rogue I dont think it would be hard for it to pass the Cell as my fav. I know you see alot of reviews say this but its amazing just how good Roto Grip is right now....I expect the next ball they create to be amazing as well.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/r...0329091914.jpg

David Tessman
    Roto Grip staff.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast