Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rogue Cell Review

Bowler
    Chats: 20

well i went today and i was within 4" of the head pin (both left and right sides) and my games went

155, 183,190
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums
    high game: 265
    high series: 616
    high hani game: 295
    ^^^
    all happened the same day!!!!!

Default Rogue !!

It was extremely CLEAN threw the heads, as it entered the MIDS, The Rogue picked up a STRONG roll, that created an AWESOME CONTINOUS roll to the pocket. I then tried adding some Polish(Storm Step 3) and this ball gave me another 3-4 ft. with the SAME motion and hitting POWER. I also have no problem getting this ball to cover boards(if needed).
    The Rogue CELL definetely completed the Crown Line: Cell (Early)- Rogue(Mid Lane) - Cell Pearl(Late/Backend).
    When it comes to Hybrid, there is NO other company than ROTO GRIP!!

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Just what I wanted to hear. Wes really makes them look great too. And what attractive equipment.

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Rogue Cell

Drilled two of these balls and they are as good as advertised. One of them is drilled with the pin 5" from the PAP which puts the pin under my middle finger. I have used in this ball on the Kegel pattern Highway to hell and it was a pefect fit between my Pro Pin Cell (which is at 2000 finish) and The Cell Pearl. The other Rogue is drilled with a 6" pin above my middle finger this ball is in box with storm polish and this ball goes about another foot down lane and has more backend that the first Rogue. This ball will be able to be used on many different patterns but keep in mind that is NOT for drier lanes.

Ed Riffle
    Roto Grip Staff Did you find this review helpful? Yes No

What is Bowling?

Thumbs up Rouge Cell/Mars Review

My bowling stats:
    PAP: 5.75” Over .25” Up
    Average Speed: 18.5 MPH
    RPM’s: 400+

Ball(s) Stats:
    “Continuous” Rouge Cell
    (Layed Out Using Roto-Grips “4x3” in their drilling chart)
    Weight Hole: On PAP
    Personal Favorite Surface Condition: OOB

“Trick Layout” Rouge Cell
    Pin Location: 6" from PAP WAY ABOVE Ring Finger
    Mass Bias Location: 45 Degrees (Above and Right of Thumb)
    Weight Hole: 3.5" Over 1" Up
    Personal Favorite Surface Condition: Highly Polished or White Scotch Brite

Review:

Conditions I Would Consider Using The Ball On:
    Heavy or Medium/Heavy Patterns
    Heavy or Medium/Heavy Volumed Patterns
    Clean To Slightly Carried Down Backends
    Heavy Volumed House Shots

For me, the Rogue Cell is a completely different ball than any other ball that I have thrown. As an aggressive ball, it is very coverstock tunable and layout friendly. However, because of its aggressiveness it can be deceiving. With everything being equal, the Rouge Cell is the most aggressive of all the Cells, however I have found on several different patterns (besides heavy/long patterns) that either the Cell Pearl or original Cell will actually out hook the Rogue Cell based on early and undetectable energy burn. Sometimes this can be a good thing though, as it gives you more control over the break point...... Like the other Cells, this ball is very continuous, even if it runs into early burn. I cant think of one time where any of my Cells have ever flat out rolled out.

“Continuous” Rouge Cell

This is the most continuous and most hooking ball I have ever punched out. It just plain hooks. With this ball it reminds me of a urethane ball on steroids, without the super early burn (as long as you have head oil). I tried polishing it and used it on a few patterns, but it seemed to really overlap my original Cell so I returned it to OOB condition and am able to use it on longer/heavier patterns without having to worry about it skipping through the breakpoint. However, on longer patterns with medium volume I found the original Cell in OOB condition to be a better match up. Bottom line is this: If you already have an original Cell and you are looking to get a Rouge Cell, don't be afraid to drill one up similar and tweak the coverstock so they compliment each other and you wont be shut out on any condition.
    “Trick Layout” Rouge Cell
    Again, this is named after the Tommy Jones layout. I find this layout extremely versatile for higher rev players. Comparing this ball to the others in the Cell line, I find it to kind of a blend of the two. With the high gloss polish that I applied to it, it clears the heads like the Cell Pearl, but the cover helps smooth the reaction out close to the original Cell. On average (and depending on the condition), this ball is about 3-5 boards stronger than the original Cell and 3-5' sooner than the Cell Pearl.

My bottom line is this. This ball is strong. REALLY strong. If you are not using the right layout or using it on the right condition, it probably wont work and one of the other Cells will probably work better. BUT when the stars align and you match up with this very tunable and versatile beast .... LOOK OUT!!

Conditions that I would not consider using these balls on:
    Short Pattern
    Low Volume Patterns
    Beat Up Synthetic/Wood Lanes (High and early friction)

Roto-Grip Balls Up or Down:
    Ball Up In Reaction: Stronger/Earlier Drilled Rouge Cell or a Late 90s/Early 2000's Particle Ball
    Ball Down In Reaction: Cell or Cell Pearl

Ball(s) Stats:
    “Early” Mars
    Drilled out: “4x4
    Weight Hole: On VAL Drilled on a line through CG

“Semi-Label Drilled” Mars
    Pin Location: 5.5" from PAP Directly above Ring Finger
    CG Located in Grip Center
    Weight Hole: N/A

Review:
    Conditions I Would Consider Using The Ball On:
    Light Oil
    Short Oil
    Beat Up/Chewed Up Lanes (Wood or Synthetic)

The Mars is probably one of the weakest balls that Roto-Grip has come out with since the Mercury (although the Mars is slightly stronger). I found that the Mars is definitely allergic to oil, but knows hows to read friction down the lane with a vengeance. The Mars has allowed me to play parts of the lane that I otherwise would not have been able to when they are severely broken down.

“Early” Mars

I labeled this ball with the term “Early” because that is what it is compared to my other Mars. This particular ball is very smooth and does not know how to read early hook. I found this ball to play “Top Hat” type house shots very well near the oil line. I have no fear of missing a board or two right and having it over react and jerking too hard on the back end. However, if I manage to miss a board or two left on a “Top Hat” house shot, I hope I missed enough left to go high flush and kick out the 10. On a broken down sports/PBA shot, this ball does really well navigating the broken down pattern.

“Semi-Label Drilled” Mars
    This ball rolls just like the “Early” Mars does, except it takes another 3-5 games for it to shine. This ball is very straight though the heads (and even part way into the midlane!), with a mild arc in the backend. This is one of the best control balls for dry lanes I have ever thrown.

If you are a player that is not comfortable moving left and out of your comfort zone, I would not hesitate drilling 2 Mars for you like these for late blocks in a tournament.

Conditions that I would not consider using these balls on:

Any heavy or long pattern.

Roto-Grip Balls Up or Down:
    Ball Up In Reaction: Neptune
    Ball Down In Reaction: Mercury

Thank you for your time in reading this review. I hope that you have found it to be helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will try to help you as much as I can.
    Thanks!
    Mat Henning
    Roto-Grip Staffer
    Champions Bowling Services

dang its that gud
    Last edited by JaxBowlingGuy; 06-06-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: language

What is Bowling?

Rogue Cell: The Perfect Fit

The Original Cell might be the best ball I have ever owned. Usually the more aggressive a ball is, the less forgiving it is.The Cell hooks, and it hits, but it still seems to find the pocket I when I have the occasional bad release. The nature of the ball is to be more even arcing and it does need oil to clear the heads

If there is not enough head oil or you need a ball to cover a lot of boards late then the Cell Pearl is the ball to go to. It gets through the heads cleaner and hooks like crazy on the back end. I find the Cell Pearl a bit more condition specific and not as forgiving as the Cell. It hooks alot harder on dry boards and can squirt a bit on carry down.

That's where the Rogue Cell comes in handy. It gets through the heads cleaner than the Cell and has a more angular motion like the Pearl, but isn't effected as much by carry down. It has a strong back end without the over/under you can get from the Pearl.

With the Cell, the Cell Pearl and now the Rogue Cell, Roto Grip has come up with three balls that compliment each other perfectly.

Default Rogue Cell Review

Rogue Cell #1
    I put the pin up @ 4 ½ from my pap with the mb next to my thumb. The balance hole was placed on my val on the midline of the grip.

My intent with this Rogue was to have a ball with which I could really open up the lane. WOW does it ever! I have a Cell Solid with the same layout and It sometimes is a bit too even off of the breakpoint.

The Rogue Cell’s cover is the strongest match for the Nucleus core yet. The hybrid cover seems to bring out the strongest aspects of the core. You can really see the differential working as the ball goes through motion. Where other strong drilled asymmetric balls have a tendency to stand up in the backend this just keeps on driving.

Surface changes: After using the ball in box condition I took the cover down to 2000 abralon to take some of the sharpness off of the break point. It worked as expected while still keeping up the continuation through the pins. I used this ball during my 7am singles at the USBC Open shooting 636 and doubling up on my brackets. $$$

Rogue Cell #2
    I wanted to try something different so I laid the ball out pin down @ 6 inches from my pap with a strong drill angle. Mb was placed between my thumb hole and my val. I placed the balance hole low on my val.

What I got was a medium strong midlane read with even continuation off of the spot. I was struggling on the PBAX Earl pattern until I drilled this ball. The final three weeks of the Earl pattern I averaged over 225.

My favorite part of the Rogue Cell is the pin action. I really enjoy watching the pins fly around the deck with reckless abandon.

Default Rogue Cell Recovery is assett

Roto Grip Staff Star Reggie Lockett says:

The Rogue is smooth and a must ball for the guys who have a little trouble with ball recovery and has the Regular Cell & the Cell Pearl. Where the shell on the Cell Pearl will take you down the floor the Rogue will as well but the box finish will turn you over on the back end but not burn in the fronts, that combinations on the Rogue is excellent and will get you down the floor especially using the lay outs recommended in the drilling guide.

Hey ! Trust me and try it you will like it

What is Bowling?

Default Rogue Cell Mini Review

Style: Cranker (crowbar)
    Revrate: 475 - 500 RPM
    The Layout:

4 1/2 x 3 1/2 (Pin above ring finger with the MB two 1.5 inches out from thumb). There is a 3/4 inch balance hole, 2 inches deep, on the axis.

The Motion:

This ball is very smooth. It reads the transition in wet dry very evenly. With the pin being a little higher, it gets through the heads and goes a little further before the initial reaction starts up. Going through the pin deck it really makes the pins dance around. Lighter pocket hits seem to be the best for the Rogue because of its overall continuation.

The reaction was a little too strong up front with the box finish on a THS, so a coat of Factory Finish polish was applied. This made the ball glide through the heads even further. It still grabbed sooner and was not as sharp off the break as the Cell Pearl, with a similar layout. This ball starts its move a few feet sooner than the pearl, and has a smoother overall motion. The combination of the Pearl and Solid coverstock really puts a perfect fit to compliment the Cell and Cell pearl.

This ball reads great in the midlane on the PBA Viper. It is easy to play a tight shim around the track area with this ball and creating room to the right because of its great recovery. If you are looking for a aggressive smooth piece to put in your lineup, the Rogue is exactly what you are looking for.

More to come,

Mason Sherman
    Roto Grip Regional Staff
    Vise Regional Staff

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast