Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue Cell Review

Default Rogue Cell

Ball specs – 15 lbs 3 oz, 3.34 top weight, 3 inch pin.

The Rogue Cell was punched using the dual angle layout method, 4.5” pin X 58 degree drill angle X 35 degree VAL angle. This put the pin just above and slightly right of the ring finger. The mass bias (RG) is about 2 inches right of the thumb. The CG is about one inch right of being inline. An X-hole was needed due to the CG position and was placed in the P2 position using the gradient line method. The finish was left OOB at 4000 abralon.

I compared the Rogue with the original “Ball of the Year” Cell and the Pearl Cell. The Rogue provides a different ball motion that is a great compliment. The Rogue provides just a fraction more length than the original but the backend is 5 to 7 boards stronger. I believe part of this is due to the layout differences and balance hole between the two (please refer to my Cell review on BallReviews.com) and the new cover stock formula, which is very strong. When compared with the Pearl Cell with a similar layout (minus the balance hole), the Rogue starts up sooner than the Pearl Cell but does not quite match the backend of the Pearl. However, let me say again that the Rogue is very strong off the friction. The Rogue Cell provides the same explosive hit and carry bowlers have come to expect from the Cell line up. The Rogue is another great addition to the pioneering CELL product line which continues to be offered at a great price point.

John Brodersen
    Last edited by JaxBowlingGuy; 09-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Rogue Cell

5"x4" w/ a 3" pin buffer.

For me it ended up being a pin over ring, with mb in a stacked position.

Initial impressions: Pretty!!! I thought from the info that this ball was going to fit pretty nicely between the cell and cell pearl. I wanted to see the ball get a little longer than the cell, but not quite as long as the pearl.
    Decided to go with a little weaker drilling to get the look I was after.

Ball motion is exactly what I expected on the THS. I get about 2 feet less length than the pearl, and gets through the heads a little cleaner than the cell does for me.

As far as the strength of the ball it is easily 5-7 boards stronger than my pearl, but potentially could be alot stronger if drilled to do so....

Hopefully this helps, and here is a link to my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-mnWn3itaE

Thanks,

What is Bowling?

Talking Rogue Cell is awesome.

]I drilled up the Rogue Cell with the pin over the ring finger and the cg kicked out. A 6- 3 configuration. i bowl in a house with synthetic heads and wood the rest of the way. about a 50/50 split hybrid house. The carry there is what I would call tough. Lots of corner pins. This happens because when the ball comes off the synthetic many times it turns right then and it burns up. The Rogue Cell went through the heads very clean and I did not experience the quick turn at the wood. This saved energy for the back and my carry was awesome for this center. I took it brand new to league and had 781 first time out. Goes through the heads a bit longer than the original Cell and hit harder than the Cell Pearl. A great compliment to the other two Cells. Nice going Roto Grip another winner.
    Bob Korth
    Roto grip Amateur staff member

Default Rogue Cell Review

I drilled my Rogue using the Dual Angle layout, the numbers are 50/5/35. This is a different layout from my original Cell, which has a layout of 50/5/70. These two balls compliment each other very well. The two balls seem to roll about the same in the mid-lane, but the Rogue gives me more recovery on the backend. I can line up with my original Cell, and I then need to move about 6 or so boards right (since I am left handed) with my feet and about 3 with my eyes to get the Rogue to the pocket.

Not only does this ball look great but it rolls great as well. Another great ball from Hank Boomershine and everyone at Roto Grip. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by MoonsLefty; 03-08-2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Rob Haverstock
    Storm/Roto Grip Pro Shop Staff

What is Bowling?

I have thrown the Rogue a few games now and it is amazing. I drilled it 5-1/4 x 3-1/2 x 2 with weight hole on my PAP (5 right). This ball had excellent recovery when pushed wide and sat nicely if not pulled too much. If my speed got a little slow the ball crossed over. I had to stand 4 boards left of my stronger drilled cell pearl and 5 boards left of my cell. The balls have similar reaction on the lane. The Rogue would start up a little sooner but had nice angular reaction. The Rogue cleared the heads without any issues and was very predictable. Roto Grip has another hit on their hands with this ball. I will update when I get back from nationals at the end of the month.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cory
    Roto-Grip Staff Member 2009
    USBC Bronze Certified Coach
    Pro Shop Tech.

15 lb. Dual Angle Drilling: 5” PAP Drill Angle 40 deg. VAL Angle 55 deg. Box Finish

Drill intention: Good read in the middle part of the lane with earlier hook, but continue through the pins.

I am playing more of the lane than I thought I would, but I love the ball and the drilling. League night puts down a decent amount of oil (modified house shot, lower scoring for best scratch league in the area), but it is no problem for the Rogue. Any shot close to the pocket is carrying for me, even shots I think are weak, still snaps out the 10 pin. I bowled a tournament over the weekend at a center that is known for bad carry. I started out with 277 – 258 to win the first 2 high games and rolled to lead qualifying. This ball is a fantastic compliment to the Cell and the Cell Pearl. This ball will be in my bag for a long time.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Great review. A little bird tells me we will have a contest with this ball soon!!!
    Go Broncos!

Post Rogue Cell Review

The Rogue Cell is a great complement to the solid Cell and Cell Pearl for patterns 39' and longer. I drilled mine using a 4 1/2" x 4, pin buffer 1 1/2-2", with a small hole on my axis. The Rogue gets about the same length down lane as the solid Cell with a little more back end movement. The Hybrid cover goes through the heads clean, and reacts smoothly and strongly off the break point on a 39' house shot. The strong hit of the Cell weight block keeps the pins low with excellent carry.

On the house shot, the Rogue sat nicely on the oil line and hit hard. When I sent it to the dry, early, the ball burned off a little, but did not over react off the breakpoint. This allows a little miss to the right without the ball crashing the nose for a split, but instead maybe leaving a 10 pin.

The Rogue hybrid cover at 4000 abralon gives a nice reaction out of the box. The Rogue will fit into anyone's arsenal as either a first ball or a go to ball. Add a Cell, and a Pearl Cell for a great 3 ball arsenal
    SenorRotoGrip

Smile Rogue Cell!

My pap is 315/16"> X 11/8" ^, I'm not a spinner, but I keep my fingers in the 6&7 o'clock position! Box specs. 15lb 3oz 2.5-3 pin 3.6 top weight. I used the dual angle layout of 60deg x 41/4" x 65deg, which placed the pin below my middle finger and the RG/MB on my val. I didn't adjust the box finish for now and I had to stand 7 boards left of my Cell Pearl and 5 boards left of my Cell and Strike Cell. The Cell is drilled similar with the pin below the bridge and Cell Pearl below ring finger. I had a tough time keeping the ball in the pocket and a soft roll caused it to cross over. I'll post another review when I get on more oil, this was a fresh oil pattern that had just been done for league.
    Update: I compared this to a fresh Hybrid Cell and I had to move left 4 boards and I had to watch my ball speed, cause if I got soft with the Rogue it was through the face. I used this ball at the Pinnacle in Clarksville, TN and shot 765 and had all kinds of room with this ball! This ball gets through the heads with ease and has a similar look of the Pearl at the break point, only stronger with the continuation as the original Cell.

Default Open Up the Lane Like Never Before!

Layout- 4.5” X 4.25” Pin Over and Right of Ring, Hole 5” straight out small/shallow

I have to say, I had high expectations for the Rogue Cell and amazingly this ball has surpassed them. I expected that what I had heard was true, that it would have a breakpoint shape and length between the 2 prior Cell balls with a little more overall reaction (at the very least on house patterns) than both, but this ball has opened up the lane for me like nothing else I have ever thrown. In my scratch league they lay out a very over/under pattern and pretty much nobody can get left on it because there is such a massive flood in the middle- but now I can. I’ve hardly lost a match play point in that league the few weeks I’ve thrown it. Quite frankly, it feels like cheating, much like the Cell did when it was new- but that much more. Furthermore, it wants to create an ideal ball reaction on every condition I’ve thrown it. If I back out of it I can still throw it on burnt heads and it still wants to clear the front, roll in the midlane, pop on the back and continue for the rack. There is not a better value on the market. Plus the ball looks dreamy too. From a pro shop perspective, this ball is gonna move too. I got two early from Roto Grip’s pre release program- one lasted 10 minutes and the other lasted an hour and a half. I didn’t even try to sell them. Bowlers walked in and just asked for it the second they saw it. It’ll be nice to have a shot in the arm from a bowling ball (in terms of performance and sales) in March. How often does that happen?

Jason Hoff
    Area 300 Pro Shop

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast