Thread: Just started bowling.

Default Just started bowling.

My Husband and I just started bowling together.. I use to bowl on a league about 7 years ago.. I never had my own bowl and shoes or anything. So my husband and I just went to the pro shop and bought an entry level package with shoes and ball and bag, we didn't won't to spend a lot since we are both just starting out and we both suck LOL.
    Anyways how do you know what kind of style you bowl.. I have no clue. I am just learning the different terms.. Even though I bowled on a league I really just did it for fun and didn't learn much..
    Would also like to chat with those that are just starting out too..

Chats: 0

Welcome back to the bowling world. I for one am a Bowling Addict and have not found a 12 step program yet .

As far as style, each person develops their own. As a lefty, I was pretty much on my own to figure it all out. All my friends were righties. After about 4 years I actually took a formal lesson and then took a learn to bowl class offered at a local center.

One of the best ways to learn, if you cannot afford a coach, is to watch and talk to some of the better bowlers. Don't be afraid to ask questions, some will be jerks but most will welcome the opportunity to help out a beginner. The most important thing is to have fun.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

Chats: 3

Iceman made a really good post about this topic in another thread. I'll quote him here so you can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Ahem, speaking simply - old school style. Not standing left, chicken winging out to 10 and jumping out of your shoes. My own personal definition of a cranker.

It's more of a controlled release with less hand, less revs and more than not speed dominant. More pressure on fingers to roll off - also more direct at pocket.

Here's a short explanation of each style:

The Stroker

This is the old classic style of hook bowler sometimes referred to as old school. The Stroker's sliding foot stops just before the ball gets to the bottom of the swing, creating moderate leverage for a good, controllable ball reaction.
    The shoulders are very square at the point of release. The Stroker generally plays straighter up the outside of the lane allowing the ball to gently hook up into the pocket. Generally around 300 RPM's I would say.

The Cranker

The Cranker gets maximum revolutions on the ball, producing more power than any other type of bowler.
    Generally the Cranker will stand with their feet to the left hand side of the approach, and swing their ball out to the edge of the lane.
    In order to create this, the Cranker uses "late" timing (getting to the foul line before the ball). They plant their foot and pull their arm through, bending the elbow to keep the hand behind and under the ball and leaving the shoulders open for maximum leverage.
    (This is where I had difficulty)
    A Cranker is prone to injury due to the amount of "muscle" they put into each shot. Generally 500 RPM's with this release.

The Spinner/Helicopter

This style of bowling is not seen very often, but is very popular in Asia. It was developed in Taiwan to combat brutally hard lane conditions.
    Spinners use lightweight balls (usually 10-12lb). The technique is one that leaves people asking the question "How?". The bowler deliberately brings the fingers all the way round the top of the ball, as opposed to the hook bowler who brings the fingers round the side.
    The ball travels straight down the lane (regardless of the oiling pattern) but is rotating in a similar way to helicopter blades, hence the name "helicopter bowling.
    On impact with the pins, this technique mixes the pins like no other style of bowling. Very effective if you can master it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Forgot something - Tweener -
    A player that has more accuracy and less power than a cranker, with more power than a stroker.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Thank You very helpful.. I can't wait till tonight we are going bowling.. First time trying out my new ball..

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Best of luck and have fun. It's a great game.

Chats: 0

I had the same problem about 6 years ago when I first started bowling on a league. Up until that point I had only bowled and handful of times. Now 6 years later I still am no good but I am much better than back then. The key I have found is to watch those who are of the "Stroker" variety and practice (outside of league) what they do. I could never afford a coach so that was my option. Also like mentioned before ask more seasoned bowlers as to what you are doing wrong. Most out there are eager to help someone. I know for me it is the owner. He tells me all the time "You have good form but you need to use your fingers more" but when I do I, about half of the time, cross my body and ball goes out of control. The main key is to keep your eye on your mark, follow through and most importantly, at least in my situation, do not straighten back up from your release position until you see the ball roll over your mark. At least that works for me, along with not drinking on league nights.

Chats: 3

I don't usually drink when I'm bowling either....but if your having one of those frustrating nights that just puts you into a bad mood, it definitely doesn't hurt. I think having a bad attitude is one of the biggest things that can hurt a persons game, you get into that bad mood, it throws your game off, and it's hard to snap out of. Make sure you're having fun, enjoy what you do and you'll like the results.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by janbolen View Post
    My Husband and I just started bowling together.. I use to bowl on a league about 7 years ago.. I never had my own bowl and shoes or anything. So my husband and I just went to the pro shop and bought an entry level package with shoes and ball and bag, we didn't won't to spend a lot since we are both just starting out and we both suck LOL.
    Anyways how do you know what kind of style you bowl.. I have no clue. I am just learning the different terms.. Even though I bowled on a league I really just did it for fun and didn't learn much..
    Would also like to chat with those that are just starting out too..

My wife and I bowl in many leagues together. I hardy ever bowl with other people as its fun to bowl with a spouse or friend. I think it takes some of the "serious" out of the game. I mean I have bowled in scratch leagues where everyone is like, I got a strike and I am better than you. Not to say everyone is like that, but there is a time and place for most things.

I would say you did the right thing so far and that is getting your own gear. My first bowling ball I ever got was at a thrift store. Of course it did not fit me well, and it had the name Lucy engraved in it. But with being a guy, and some guys name cars after ladies, I figured hey its my Lucy.

And although I did not bowl great, it was my gear and so I took pride in my game because of it.

I think that you will do great. I know because you are here. We are the, (and I think I can say without any complaints,) most Friendliest, helpful bowling forum around. No one hides behind user names and puts other members down. You find this at many other sites.

So great work and PLEASE tell us how you are doing.

Chris
    Go Broncos!