Thread: can anyone help?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default can anyone help?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i bowl my left leg which is the one i slide on> is always hurting when i sstart ym second game. it is my groin area and my hip. what ami doing wrong?

Chats: 19

Perhaps over extending a bit? I really don't know, it'd be hard to know without seeing what goes on, but I would HIGHLY suggest a really good stretch before each bowling outing (if it's your groin area, leg lunges should do the trick). That should do wonders for you!!! Failing that, maybe an icy hot patch on the hurting areas? I dunno....
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Could be over extending...maybe too much or not enough knee bend. Its hard to really tell so you should go to your local Pro Shop or USBC Coach and let them watch ya bowl a few shots.
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

stretch86

As mentioned in the other posts it is hard to tell without seeing you bowl. Stretching, as stated above, is necessary as bowling is an athletic endeavor. When you go work with a coach, be sure to have the coach pay special attention to your foot position at the foul line. Although there are a number of things that can cause leg pain from start to finish the usual culprit for leg pain is sticking at the line. Quite often more friction on one side of the sole will cause the foot to be turned known as "open" or closed". Both affect different muscles, tendons and nerves. The slide foot in the ideal scenario would be pointed down lane reasonably perpindicular to the foul line. Any twist left or right will create an imbalance in the forces your leg is enduring which will transfer to your hip and eventually to your back. My guess with limited info is that your toe points to the non-ball side because of pain on the inside of the leg. It is hard to bowl well when in pain.

If you have interchangeable soles, experiment with more slide. If not, look at your slide sole and see which side is wearing more. That is the side that needs more slip. Add slip to the side the toe points to. The coach you work with will help you correct the situation if that is the case.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

I was always told that If your hips are hurting that your pulling the ball. Not sure how true this is. Seems to me everytime I follow through correctly I dont seem to hurt after but have noticed when I tend to pull across my body I do tend to get a slight pain in the hips. Im no pro so this probably isnt much help. Good luck with it though.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com

Balls: Storm Virtual Gravity, Storm GravityShift, Roto Grip Neptune, Columbia 300 Wrath Dead Flush, Brunswick Twisted Fury

Avg 186
    High Game/Series 288/688

AKA Jrock

What is Bowling?

thanx for the help. ill give it all a shot see if it works for me. i just started really getting into bowling about october.going slow but im trying. so any tips advice is welcome.

Assuming the 86 in your user name stands for the year of your birth:

The best advice I can give a bowler just starting out is, DRINK PLENTY OF BEER (and have a designated driver ready to go)!!! Feel free to substitute beer with an alcoholic beverage of your choice if you choose.... Your approach on the 3rd game should be a zig zag pattern, never to be duplicated the exact same way twice. Hilarity ensues. Laugh a little, have some fun, and never take this thing too seriously because it always is, always was, and always will be A GAME!!!!

Happy bowling to ya!

Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)

lol...nice...that usually works for non league nights or non tournament conditions! But I do agree to that!
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com

Balls: Storm Virtual Gravity, Storm GravityShift, Roto Grip Neptune, Columbia 300 Wrath Dead Flush, Brunswick Twisted Fury

Avg 186
    High Game/Series 288/688

AKA Jrock

Quote Originally Posted by Jrock4207 View Post
    lol...nice...that usually works for non league nights or non tournament conditions! But I do agree to that!
    No, you are wrong. It works for ANY bowling night!!!