Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am apparently unneeded.....

SandBagger
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 52

Default I am apparently unneeded.....

Found out that April 30th is my last day of employment at my current position. Oh well, in this economy it shouldn't be too long before I'm employed again.
    riiiiiight.

Chats: 3

that sucks.
    hope things work out for you
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Bowler

Look at the bright side---- you will have lots of time to practice.

Yeah, now if only you could afford to practice. It sucks, but I'm not far behind you.
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Chats: 19

I'm really, really sorry to hear that. FWIW, I work at a bank, and we are doing better than most (if not all) banks, but that hasn't stopped me from calculating if I would make more money on unemployment, or flipping burgers if the ax comes down. For the record, it's too close to call, but at least unemployment would leave me ample time to search for a new job should it come to that. *knock on wood*

My buddy's company basically told him, a couple days ago, that everyone had to take a huge pay cut and if things don't get better in the next 3 months, it was over for the whole COMPANY! He's ****ting bricks right now, feverishly looking for another job, but there's just not anything out there in the field he works in.

Seriously, best of luck to you. Miracles do happen!
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

AAAAAH!!! I was censored! What happened to freedom of speech??????

HELP! HELP!! I'm being repressed!!!!

Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Now you see the violence inherent in the system.

My job is pretty secure, I think, but a whole lot of others down here aren't, and it seems like there is always someone willing to do it for a lesser wage. They just don't happen to speak English.

It took a while to get this bad, so let's hope it won't take so long to get better. However, it's always easier to break something than to fix it. Best of luck, and I hope you're not out of work long.

I've been preaching the wonders of OTR truck driving to anyone who's lost a job. Training for a class A CDL is 4 weeks long. The classes to train for the CDL test run about a couple thousand dollars. So, It's pretty quick and inexpensive to obtain the necessary license, and truck driving shows no signs of stopping. If you can handle being away from your family for 4 weeks at a time (only the first couple of months as training with whatever company hires you) and then being home on the weekends...they make good money.
    My husband has been pulling in over $!,000 a week gross. Plus we have decent insurance.

This could be something for people to consider as the times get tougher.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    I've been preaching the wonders of OTR truck driving to anyone who's lost a job. Training for a class A CDL is 4 weeks long. The classes to train for the CDL test run about a couple thousand dollars. So, It's pretty quick and inexpensive to obtain the necessary license, and truck driving shows no signs of stopping. If you can handle being away from your family for 4 weeks at a time (only the first couple of months as training with whatever company hires you) and then being home on the weekends...they make good money.
    My husband has been pulling in over $!,000 a week gross. Plus we have decent insurance.

This could be something for people to consider as the times get tougher.
    Yes, BUT, gas and diesel prices are getting higher and higher again. There are some who expect we may soon see prices that eclipse last year's $4 a gallon. I remember when that happened, how many truckers came to my (then) place of business looking for any kind of money loan they could get just to stay on their feet. As the diesel prices rose, the miles available decreased, and some truckers got almost nothing at all.....

diesel prices have nothing to do with the equation...UNLESS your an owner operator.

In my husbands case, where you work for a company and use their truck...you have no obligation to pay for repairs, fuel or insurance. When diesel hit it's highest prices...owner operators folded...leaving more loads for bigger companies. Yes, that does stink for the little guy, but that's how it went. Since it cost more for trucking companies to deliver loads, they were able to pass that on to the companies hiring them to deliver. My husband never saw a decrease in pay, in fact, he's received 2 raises since that fuel "crisis".

Larger companies can survive high fuel costs because often, they have contracts with truck stops. My husband is only authorized to fuel at Pilot and TA truck stops, his company receives discounted fuel in exchange for sending all of their business their way.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

I've been worried about that also . We are slow at work . We have 38 workers and 18 are laid off . The nice thing is Noone else there can do my job . So I'm safe .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast