Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a ball for my son

Chats: 3

Default Getting a ball for my son

Right now, he's been using a ball someone donated to the bowling alley. It feels about 9 lbs, but obviously it's not drilled for his hand so he drops it a lot. So I'm thinking it's time for him to get his own equipment. He's got a pretty good approach, for a 6 yr old. The goal is to eventually teach him how to throw a hook, do I get him a plastic ball to start out with, or get him an entry-level ball with some hook potential and start teaching him now?
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Start with plastic, he needs to learn control and accuracy first. Plus he'll be growing fast out of the grip, so it will get plugged and changed a few times. better for now to do that with a plastic, you can change surface textures also to get some bite, cause a plastic can hook.

the other night my girlfriend was standing on 20 threw her plastic ball leaked it out to the 3 board, it came back for a pocket strike. so they can hook.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

At his age, I would also recommend plastic. Does he bowl in a junior program?

The goal is to teach him the basics - coordination, consistent approach, and delivery/release.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

yeah, he bowls on a youth league, and I take him with me to the bowling alley and we practice together. He's very consistent in hitting second arrow, his approach and his release aren't too bad either. I'm in the process of teaching him how to move to pick up spares.

I think the plastic is a good idea....then he's got a ball for 10 pins when he moves up to better equipment.
    just needed a second opinion, thanks you two!
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Chats: 0

You're welcome! That is cool that you both practice together! I am sure he is excited to have his very own ball. May he have a ton of success with it!

I'm sure you already know this, but when he changes shoe size it is a good idea to check his span. I've had a few of the juniors all of a sudden say the ball they have been using the past year or so feels funny. My 1st question after checking their span and finding it too short, is have you changed shoe sizes? It is usually at least one size.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

Yeah I agree starting him with plastic.

Awesome you are building such a great relationship with your son and going bowling together.

My father and I bowl on a doubles league together. It is a blast. We are best buds. I hope the same for you.
    Brent Dolan www.alltenback.com
    USBC average to date 201, USBC High Game 278,USBC High Series 713, Newest Video Post

Quote Originally Posted by ThongPrincess View Post
    You're welcome! That is cool that you both practice together! I am sure he is excited to have his very own ball. May he have a ton of success with it!

I'm sure you already know this, but when he changes shoe size it is a good idea to check his span. I've had a few of the juniors all of a sudden say the ball they have been using the past year or so feels funny. My 1st question after checking their span and finding it too short, is have you changed shoe sizes? It is usually at least one size.
    actually I haven't heard that before, so thanks! I'll be sure to check his span next time he outgrows his shoes!
    We got him an 8 lb brunswick T zone, he's excited!
    he didn't do so great with his first game today, he's squeezing the ball, and he needs to get used to relaxing his hand now that his ball fits. The hardest part with trying to coach him, is that when he gets frustrated, I'm the last person he wants to listen to lol
    we had a good pep talk about how he needs to practice with it. I'm sure he's going to improve greatly with his own equipment!
    thanks everyone for the feedback!
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Yay! my son bowled his first 100 game with his new ball this morning! 105, I'm hoping he'll get bowler of the week, plus he gets a patch to add to his shirt, so he's excited!
    High Game-279
    High Series-733

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    Yay! my son bowled his first 100 game with his new ball this morning! 105, I'm hoping he'll get bowler of the week, plus he gets a patch to add to his shirt, so he's excited!

That is awesome. Stoked to hear about his progress.

Keep us posted

Great to hear

Brent Dolan www.alltenback.com
    USBC average to date 201, USBC High Game 278,USBC High Series 713, Newest Video Post

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    All right Good bowling!

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast