Thread: Jason Belmonte Leads TQR Field

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Default Jason Belmonte Leads TQR Field

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Mike Jakubowski | PR/Media Relations
    Professional Bowlers Association | 719 Second Avenue, Suite 701 | Seattle, WA 98104
    Tel: 800.903.0930 | Fax: 206.332.9722 | mike.jakubowski@pba.com

Jason Belmonte Leads TQR Field at
    PBA Bowling Foundation Long Island Classic
    Australian Two-handed Sensation to Compete at Long Island Classic and U.S. Open

SEATTLE, Wash. (March 24, 2009) – With his season-opening appearance on the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour at the PBA World Championship in October, the two-handed Aussie sensation lapped the field in qualifying then finished in 10th place, launching a media blitz for pro bowling. Belmonte graced a cover story in the Wall Street Journal on Feb. 5 and has since been featured in the Los Angeles Times and the Denver Post in addition to appearances on Good Morning America and the Today show.

As the Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowlers Association Tour’s 2008-09 season heads down the homestretch, Belmonte heads the list of competitors bowling Wednesday in the PBA Tour Qualifying Round at the Bowling Foundation Long Island Classic. The PBA Tour comes to AMF Babylon Lanes in West Babylon, N.Y. March 25-29 and will play a pivotal role in the season points race and Player of the Year honors.

In 2008, 12-time Lumber Liquidator PBA Tour champion Tommy Jones of Simpsonville, S.C., defeated Hall of Famer Pete Weber, 257-191, to win the GEICO Classic held at AMF Babylon Lanes.

Jones and Weber, along with a star-studded field including a number of competitors recently named to the list of the 50 greatest players in PBA history as part of its 50th anniversary celebration will be among the field of 64. Players on that list who will compete are all-time PBA Tour titles leader Walter Ray Williams Jr. (45 wins), Parker Bohn III, back-to-back Don Johnson Buckeye State Eliminator and Go RVing Match Play Championship winner Chris Barnes, and Player of the Year contenders Wes Malott, Norm Duke and 2009 H & R Block Tournament of Champions winner Patrick Allen.

The format will consist of 14 games of qualifying with a cut to the top 32 for nine-game modified round robin match play. The field will then be cut to the top 16 for another round of match play to determine the top five for the stepladder finals to be televised by ESPN at 2 p.m. Eastern.

The tournament will feature two of the PBA’s lane conditioning patterns: Viper and Shark for the first two qualifying rounds, respectively, and for match play the left lane will use the Shark condition and the right lane Viper.

The Bowling Foundation partners with bowling organizations as the PBA, Bowling Proprietor’s Association of America, Bowling Proprietors International and United States Bowling Congress to serve as the central and premier charitable arm of bowling, the industry and its partners worldwide to become a philanthropic leader toward social change.

"We are honored to be a part of this event,” said Troy Greisen, Bowling Foundation’s Executive Director. “Just as the PBA showcases some of the world's greatest bowlers, The Bowling Foundation supports some of the most important charitable causes. Our partnership with the PBA is yet another way we can show that bowling cares."

Tickets and pro-am entries are still being accepted for this event and information can be obtained by visiting pba.com or by calling AMF Babylon Lanes at (631) 661-6600.

The PBA Tour’s regular season concludes next week at the 66th Lumber Liquidators U.S. Open from March 29 to April 5 at Brunswick Zone Carolier in North Brunswick, N.J.

PBA BOWLING FOUNDATION LONG ISLAND CLASSIC
    AMF Babylon Lanes – West Babylon, N.Y.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25
    9 a.m. - Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour Qualifying Round (7 games total pins)
    4:30 p.m. - Exempt Player Practice

THURSDAY, MARCH 26
    10 a.m. - Round of 64 (7 games on Viper)
    5 p.m. - Round of 64 (7 games on Shark)
    Cut to top 32 players

FRIDAY, MARCH 27
    11 a.m. - Match Play Round 1 (9 games, cut to top 16 players)
    6 p.m. - Match Play Round 2 (9 games, top 5 advance to ESPN finals)

SATURDAY, MARCH 28
    PBA Pro-Am Events and Fan Day
    Pro-Am Times: 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m.

SUNDAY, MARCH 29
    2 p.m. (Eastern) Live ESPN Television Finals

About the PBA
    The Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) features the best bowlers in the world competing in National, Regional and Senior Tour events and will award over $4.3 million in prize money during the 2008-09 Lumber Liquidators PBA National Tour. The organization has more than 4,000 members spanning 13 countries, and nearly one million viewers tune-in to watch the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour every Sunday on ESPN throughout the season. PBA sponsors include Bayer, Brunswick, CLR, Denny's, Etonic, Flomax, GEICO, Go RVing, H&R Block, Lumber Liquidators, Motel 6, Pepsi-Cola and the USBC, among others. For more information on the PBA, log on to www.pba.com. This season marks the 50th Anniversary of the PBA Tour.

About The Bowling Foundation
    The Bowling Foundation operates and supports many youth related programs, bowling organizations and charitable causes through the efforts of bowlers, leagues, associations, and bowling centers. Some of the most important programs include: Bowl For The Cure with the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Special Olympics, Big Brothers/ Big Sisters, Bowl For Veterans, and various scholarships and grants for schools and youth organizations. For more information, log onto www.bowlingfoundation.org
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of hearing about this guy. They're acting like he's the Tiger Woods of bowling, and I just don't see it. "Famed international bower..." So what, so is Tim Mack, and how's he doing on the pro circuit? Oh, yeah, he's not. OK, the guy's 30 something and throws the ball the way a 6 year old does. Again, so what? I'm certain the way he does it will be emulated by every youth bowler in the world. Yeah, sure. I want to see how his back holds up in another 10 years or so. I'll bet like Couch's knee or Nolen's wrist.

Super Moderator

The USBC is using him as the new fresh look and style of bowling...better him than the Backwards Bowler
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

Super Moderator

Oh, I understand the marketing push. I resent having it shoved down my throat all the time. If he was so great he'd be making the show every week, and even with 2 commissioner's exemptions he couldn't do it. Don't you want to hear "Crocodile Randee" talk about him? Why don't they just give him a pass into the finals and save a lot of time?

The only reason the backwards bowler is any good is because he throws down the left side of the lane and everybody knows how easy that side is, right? But he's not trying to make a name for himself on the tour, or having the tour make his name for him, so I have more respect for him than for the "thud from down under."

Super Moderator

Yeah you have a valid point but if it wasnt him it would be someone else
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

I don't really like all the attention he is getting either, and it really looks stupid imo the way he bowls. But whatever is getting news for the sport is good.

Super Moderator

well lets look at this also .......

Jason got 2 or 3 Commission exemptions this year so the PBA REALY REALY wanted him on Tour. NOW is that fair to the guy(s) that were at the points line and now hes on the outside looking in cause w/ John Nolen and now Jason winning this year that will now kick out 2 guys that may have had enough points to stay on tour next year ?
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

Super Moderator

No, I've never thought it was fair to have him take a spot from a member with his exemptions. He should have been awarded the high amateur's spot for those weeks, but the PBA would have lost a lot of donator entry money, I guess.

He's not the first 2 hander we've seen. Why wasn't the bowling world going crazy over Osku Palermaa? Where are his ememptions and promotions?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    No, I've never thought it was fair to have him take a spot from a member with his exemptions. He should have been awarded the high amateur's spot for those weeks, but the PBA would have lost a lot of donator entry money, I guess.

He's not the first 2 hander we've seen. Why wasn't the bowling world going crazy over Osku Palermaa? Where are his ememptions and promotions?
    150 % correct ....where is Osku
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member