Thread: New member from Los Angeles

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default New member from Los Angeles

Hey everyone,

I am new to bowling (other than recreationally ten years ago). I joined a league this year and I am having a ball. I am learning a lot from reading stuff on the internet and came across this site. I started this year (actually the league started in Sept 08) as a straight bowler. Now, I can put a nice hook on it. I started out bowling with a score of 110-120 average straight bowling. As the weeks went by, I was increasing my scores to about 125 with a couple of high games of 150s. During the Thanksgiving break, I learned to hook the ball. It increased my strikes but I was not putting them together and I was missing my spares. As time gone by, I am better at controlling my hook in most cases and my average is 130 but I have had a high game of 195 and last week I hit a four bagger and scored a 185. Unfortunately, I am still not consistent. But lately, the lanes have been dry and I am missing the 7pin because of my reactive balls (see I have learned a lot (bowling lingo) since starting). Anyway, I am learning where to stand and what targets to use. My immediate goal is to get three consecutive games above 150 during league night. The balls I am bowling with are the following: Brunswick Maxxx (I bought this one for X-mas); Columbia The Beast (given to me); Storm Big Hit (also given to me). I am waiting on a Brunswick T Zone (my spare ball) to arrive. I am looking to get into some singles tournaments to just have the experience and the pressure but I don't know how to really go about that since I don't have a book average yet. Anyway, I look forward to reading all of the comments and advice. It helped me this past week when I bowled that 185.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Hello and Welcome to BowlingBoards.com

We are Honored that you are here.

It sounds like you have a great ball arsenal. Don't forget about our FREE ball giveaway.

Also please do ask all of your bowling questions and tell your friends and family about us here at BowlingBoards.com

Chris
    Go Broncos!

Airbender,
    What part of LA and if you don't mind mentioning it, where do you bowl?
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

What is Bowling?

I bowl at the El Dorado Bowling alley near LAX on Lincoln Ave. I also live near LAX.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBENDER View Post
    I bowl at the El Dorado Bowling alley near LAX on Lincoln Ave. I also live near LAX.
    Do you know Juan Fonseca? He was my coach for about 3 years. If you need coaching, he is good, knows his stuff. I pushed for too much too fast, but it is all starting to settle into place.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBENDER View Post
    I started out bowling with a score of 110-120 average straight bowling. As the weeks went by, I was increasing my scores to about 125 with a couple of high games of 150s. I am looking to get into some singles tournaments to just have the experience and the pressure but I don't know how to really go about that since I don't have a book average yet. Anyway, I look forward to reading all of the comments and advice. It helped me this past week when I bowled that 185.
    WOW, you come quite a ways in a short time! I have a question for you though. Is the league you are currently in sanctioned by USBC? If you hold a sanctioning card then you have an average. Check into that. As for advice, best thing I can tell you is to read, read, read and ask questions if you need to. Listen but then take what you can apply and throw the rest over your shoulder haha for there will be lots of different methods that address every aspect of bowling but you have to remember to work on one thing at a time.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Greetings! Glad you're aboard. I think you'll like it here. There's a lot of cool people.

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Hello and welcome to the site ....If there is ANYTHING that you need just ask .....Chris ( IM just joking were all here to help each other out)
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums