Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Which target arrow?

  1. #1
    What is Bowling?
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    9
    Chats: 0

    Default Which target arrow?

    I am new to bowling (other than recreationally). My question is what target arrow is best to use on most oil patterns. I am a lefty. Currently, I try to target the 10th board (second arrow from the left). I try to send the ball straight down this board and it hooks into the pocket. I have heard that using the 5th board (1st arrow) may produce a better angle to the pocket. I am a little nervous about using it since it is close to the gutter and I have put a few balls into the gutter after moving to my right during the game as an adjustment.

    Also, I noticed when i was practicing the other day on a dry lane I was able to stand on the 7th board (for a right hand person) and aimed between the second and third arrows (10th and 15th board for lefties) and was able to produce more strikes. The angle seemed better. i was using the Storm Big Hit at the time. I guess I am a stroker because I don't think I put that many revs on the ball. My balls are finger tip grip though.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    bowl1820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central, Florida
    Posts
    6,656
    Blog Entries
    12
    Chats: 554

    Default

    Well for starting out your playing about where should be. Most start around the ten board (2nd Arrow the track area).

    Remember when you move toward the outside of the lane (with your feet) and playing outside of ten . That's typically a dryer area, which calls for a faster speed and straighter line to the pocket ( don't try to loop the ball).

    When playing close to the gutter, think of your hand following one board down the lane. This helps you not dump it in the gutter (like when playing the "twig" the 1 & 2 board).

    Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

    "Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AIRBENDER View Post
    I am new to bowling (other than recreationally). My question is what target arrow is best to use on most oil patterns. I am a lefty. Currently, I try to target the 10th board (second arrow from the left). I try to send the ball straight down this board and it hooks into the pocket. I have heard that using the 5th board (1st arrow) may produce a better angle to the pocket. I am a little nervous about using it since it is close to the gutter and I have put a few balls into the gutter after moving to my right during the game as an adjustment.

    Also, I noticed when i was practicing the other day on a dry lane I was able to stand on the 7th board (for a right hand person) and aimed between the second and third arrows (10th and 15th board for lefties) and was able to produce more strikes. The angle seemed better. i was using the Storm Big Hit at the time. I guess I am a stroker because I don't think I put that many revs on the ball. My balls are finger tip grip though.
    i go between 1st arrow and 2nd arrow when i throw my ball down the lane. so being left handed as well you are about right as the above poster mentioned...so the heavier the shot the more direct you have to be to the pocket with your angle and the drier the lanes you move right and belly the ball out a little more and you have done that it sounds like.. practice with the 1 st arrow and it will come to you and get comfortable with it then you will be over the fear of the gutter... it will come around so stay with it...anytime you have to move inside and play futher out then you,ll have to open up a bit and give your ball more room to work with on the lane . i move going with my feet inside second arrow on the approach then send then ball over the 10board out to the 5 board and sometimes further out than that and watch your breakpoint also ..best time for this is practice..keep in mind you might have to work with your release a bit also when doing this as well..
    goodluck..

    goodluck
    Last edited by 11 in a row; 03-26-2009 at 02:19 PM.
    jason poe
    Personal Game Highs
    299 & 300 (Back 2 Back Weeks)
    Current average 209
    proud member of [U]bowlingboards.com

  4. #4
    Founder/Owner


    The KingPin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,452
    Blog Entries
    1
    Chats: 651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Well for starting out your playing about where should be. Most start around the ten board (2nd Arrow the track area).

    Remember when you move toward the outside of the lane (with your feet) and playing outside of ten . That's typically a dryer area, which calls for a faster speed and straighter line to the pocket ( don't try to loop the ball).

    When playing close to the gutter, think of your hand following one board down the lane. This helps you not dump it in the gutter (like when playing the "twig" the 1 & 2 board).

    I agree 100% this is how I play actually. Great advice and well noted.
    Go Broncos!

  5. #5
    Bowler
    dougb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    198
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The KingPin View Post
    I agree 100% this is how I play actually. Great advice and well noted.
    I used to play down-and-in, almost straight up the 10 board/second arrow.

    In the last few months I learned to put more revs on the ball, and this has forced me to move in. Depending on what the ball is doing, I now stand between the 25-35, shoot around the third arrow, and the ball breaks around the 10.

    Now that I am starting to get comfortable playing that line, I'm looking at finger and wrist adjustments so I can play my old line, too. It seems like versatility is key to successful bowling!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and winner of a weekly ball contest!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AIRBENDER View Post
    I am new to bowling (other than recreationally). My question is what target arrow is best to use on most oil patterns. I am a lefty. Currently, I try to target the 10th board (second arrow from the left). I try to send the ball straight down this board and it hooks into the pocket. I have heard that using the 5th board (1st arrow) may produce a better angle to the pocket. I am a little nervous about using it since it is close to the gutter and I have put a few balls into the gutter after moving to my right during the game as an adjustment.

    Also, I noticed when i was practicing the other day on a dry lane I was able to stand on the 7th board (for a right hand person) and aimed between the second and third arrows (10th and 15th board for lefties) and was able to produce more strikes. The angle seemed better. i was using the Storm Big Hit at the time. I guess I am a stroker because I don't think I put that many revs on the ball. My balls are finger tip grip though.

    Well seeing you are a lefty you have a big advantage. You can play straight up the 10 board all to yourself most league nights. Well at least that is what it is like in my league.

    Just remember have fun and experiment during practices. See what feels more comfortable for ya.
    Brent Dolan www.alltenback.com
    USBC average to date 201, USBC High Game 278,USBC High Series 713, Newest Video Post

  7. #7
    Super Moderator

    kev3inp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,314
    Chats: 246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alltenback View Post
    Well seeing you are a lefty you have a big advantage. You can play straight up the 10 board all to yourself most league nights. Well at least that is what it is like in my league.

    Just remember have fun and experiment during practices. See what feels more comfortable for ya.
    Is this another dig at "how easy it is on the left?" If it's so easy, why not switch hands? Why make the game harder than it has to be? Sounds masochistic to me.

    Yes, if the shot is there it tends to stay and you need to make smaller adjustments, but if the shot isn't there it never shows up because there's not enough of us to modify the pattern to our liking.

    If a lefty has a good game it's because it's so easy on the left, never that he bowled well. You'd think this predjudice would have died by now, but I guess we're not sufficiently evolved yet.

  8. #8
    Bowler MH1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    133
    Chats: 0

    Default

    I'm not certain anyone can tell you how best to shoot. IMHO you just need to spend time bowling, and working with each arrow on the lane. I personally used to challenge myself (and still do) during practice in between league to throw strikes on every mark possible for a righty. So I'll take two frames per mark starting on the 1 arrow and working through the 4, then back out....its an excellent challenge to teach you what you and your ball are capable of, not to mention different lane conditions may require a seperate shot.

    Once you master this ( or at least get a handle on it) you can change your approach for more speed, or less speed, also great for helping with different conditions.

    Since you are new, the trick is repitition, do the same thing every time...and you'll be able to adjust.

  9. #9
    Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    naples, florida
    Posts
    99
    Chats: 20

    Default

    i never look at the arrows...i do horribale when i look at them and not the pins (and i know y'all will complaine about it 30 people already have). BUT i have my left foot on the thick whiter boards on the left of center 2nd arrow from the gutter and i throw my ball to the same boards on the right side. and i usally can stay right there and just move up a little every game around 1" farther up and i stay with in 1" of the pocket every time unless i seriously screw up and throw across my body lol

  10. #10
    What is Bowling?
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    9
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Thank you all for you comments. I learn a lot from them. This past week I started out with my normal straight down the 10 board and was getting too much hook. I kept getting brooklyns at first until I was completely missing the pocket even on the brooklyn side. So I moved in to the right side 12 board and threw to the left 15 board and seemed to find the pocket again. I was too chicken to move left (outside) to try the 5 board because I did not want to hurt my team. We did well and won all the games any way. My highest game was 174 (scratch) so I was proud of that since my handicap is 72. The season is coming to an end so I will take the summer to work on the 5 board and other approaches. My spare game needs the most help right now, but hopefully, it will improve when I get my plastic ball. Thanks alot again. You guys really help me and keep me motivated to bowl well. Glad I joined this group.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •