Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which target arrow?

Chats: 3

Quote Originally Posted by kev3inp View Post
    Is this another dig at "how easy it is on the left?" If it's so easy, why not switch hands? Why make the game harder than it has to be? Sounds masochistic to me.

Yes, if the shot is there it tends to stay and you need to make smaller adjustments, but if the shot isn't there it never shows up because there's not enough of us to modify the pattern to our liking.

If a lefty has a good game it's because it's so easy on the left, never that he bowled well. You'd think this predjudice would have died by now, but I guess we're not sufficiently evolved yet.
    Not trying to stir the kettle...but what kind of comments have you heard regarding lefties? My coaches in high school always said that lefties had a good natural hook....that's the only comment I've really heard, and I don't think it discredits a persons skills at all. Didn't realize there was a feud between lefties and righties, or that some people would actually go so low as to discredit ones ability to bowl well because of which hand they do it with.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 0

as a righty with many lefty friends, they all do have very natural hooks, not sure if its more natural than mine...but, I do give them a hard time about the lane conditions. I do need to qualify that they know I have the utmost respect for them, and their abilities! I think the fued or argument is because there is significantly less left handed bowlers than right so the conditions will stay "the same" longer. They do still require the skill and knowledge to find the pocket and carry, but once they get it, they can stay there longer.

last week for example I was moving every other frame because there were 4 other bowlers running my same line. Its part of the game...I enjoy bowling against a lefty personally...its a nice challenge
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Airbender, something you need to think about is where do I start my approach. I start around ten boards from the middle. I reference from the middle because some houses have 7 dots, some have 5. If you are consistant with your starting point then you will consistant with your delivery. Always start from the same point. A lot of bowlers tend to ignore where they start their approach and as a result have lower scores. Practice helps. Good luck.
    Bob from Colo Spgs

Another thing to add to bobs post...

make note of your starting point, as well as the board you end up your slide on! I used to have a 6 board drift to the left...we could never sort out the origin of my drift, but none the less, it existed...now I'm down to 4, but its still somethign to pay attention to!
    High Series 719
    High average 195

Default Lefty Righty controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    Not trying to stir the kettle...but what kind of comments have you heard regarding lefties? My coaches in high school always said that lefties had a good natural hook....that's the only comment I've really heard, and I don't think it discredits a persons skills at all. Didn't realize there was a feud between lefties and righties, or that some people would actually go so low as to discredit ones ability to bowl well because of which hand they do it with.
    There is a perceived advantage by some due to fewer bowlers on that side. There are a number of factors that lefties have that righties don't. Lane topography - generally smoother. Oil condition - generally fresher.
    Backends - generally drier. Transition - generally slower due to less traffic.

Does that give them an advantage? Only in the minds of those looking for excuses why they are not bowling well. If you were a lefty and in a tournament bowling on the PBAX - Shark pattern and had to move 2 pairs right over 5 games and not crossing with any lefties - you have a fresh pattern on every pair. That is not an advantage. On shorter or less volume patterns - maybe. Still, the advantage would be slight.

It still always boils down to matching up equipment, repetition of shots and knowing how and when to adjust.

Bowling is fun - winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    playbowlpro.com

I'm going to slightly disagree with you...lefties do have an advantage due to the less traffic WHEN the conditions are right for that bowler due to the slower transition of the lane. They'll be able to stay in the good spot longer.

If the lanes aren't working with the bowler, then yeah they are screwed.

The only reason I say this is because on my bowling team, in my home center...there is typically between 8 and 9 guys bowling on the same line (or close to it) this makes for a fast break down. I can have an epic string of strikes taken away from me due to breakdown that I don't even get to see until I throw my ball...

jus sayin...

I agree bowling is fun...I never rip on a lefty for being what they are.
    High Series 719
    High average 195

Quote Originally Posted by MH1313 View Post
    I'm going to slightly disagree with you...lefties do have an advantage due to the less traffic WHEN the conditions are right for that bowler due to the slower transition of the lane. They'll be able to stay in the good spot longer.

If the lanes aren't working with the bowler, then yeah they are screwed.

The only reason I say this is because on my bowling team, in my home center...there is typically between 8 and 9 guys bowling on the same line (or close to it) this makes for a fast break down. I can have an epic string of strikes taken away from me due to breakdown that I don't even get to see until I throw my ball...

jus sayin...

I agree bowling is fun...I never rip on a lefty for being what they are.
    You are absolutely correct that the transition is slower with fewer bowlers. There is not as pronounced of a track area on the left either. All factors that could produce a better scoring pace. Maybe a thread about team strategy is needed.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

If not a thread on team strategy, a talk with my team would probably help we have guys who are able to run inside, but choose not to until the "community" line is dead, then the rest of us are left hanging...
    High Series 719
    High average 195

across 3rd arrow to 1st arrow and back

my bit on this. You dont have to use the arrows. Everything in between is fine as well. So try going a board left of 10, then maybe two boards. Do it a little at a time. Sometimes it makes a huge difference just moving two boards left of the arrow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast