Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare System

Bowling Black Belt
    Currently living in Utah, but I'm originally from Long Island, NY.
    Chats: 0

Default Spare System

How many of you use a spare system? If so what does it look like?

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

It's kind of a variation on the Rolf Gauger one that was in BTM a while back. Pick a spot and see what arrow or board the ball crosses to hit the pin you're aiming at, then make 2 or 3 board adjustments to hit other pins on the same side. Cross lane and do the same thing for pins on the other side.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I use what I call the "Walter Ray" system, A guy was talking about it in another forum one time so I gave it a try.
    Basically it was once you have your starting position, pick one spot on the left to shoot all right side spares, one on the right to shoot all left side spares.

Heres what WRW said

Walter Ray-
    "I have my own method for shooting spares. I like to shoot my right side spares from the same starting spot on the left side of the lane and adjusting my target depending on the spare. Likewise I shoot my left side spares from the same starting spot on the right side of the lane and adjust my target accordingly. I will adjust my target for 10 pins depending on the approaches."

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

wow, the Walter Ray system is what I do...I've never heard him talk about it before, yet its what I do...that makes me feel good about myself...not gonna lie

It works great for me...
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Super Moderator

I do stand on the same spots on the left or the right side of the lane, and change my target on the lane. I didn't know it had a name, I just kind of worked it out myself from the Gauger article.

Bowler

I use a different system for right side spares than left. I don't remember where I read about the 3-6-9 system, but it works for me.

On left side spares I throw my strike ball (I'm a righty). Using the 3-6-9 system means for every pin left of the headpin I'm shooting for I move three boards right for my starting position and keep the same target on the lane.

For right side spares, I use a plastic ball and aim for the third arrow. I change my starting position, again using 3-6-9. For the ten pin, I stand on the 35 board. For the 9, I move 3 boards right, and so on.

I'm not doing a good job explaining it, but it works!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and winner of a weekly ball contest!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here's the chart for 3-6-9 system

Click here for chart

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator

3-6-9 The goose drank wine... Every time I see that it just jumps into my head.

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Here's the chart for 3-6-9 system

Click here for chart
    I too use the 3-6-9 rule

on my 10 pin I stand on 32 and hit 18
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Chats: 2315

For those that throw straight at your left side spares for right handers(opposite for left handers), how far to the right of your target do you stand? I've kind of found that the less angle you use the easier it is to hit your target because you don't have to close up as much. I like to use board 25 as my target(third arrow from the left) and move my feet depending on the spare. Just curious what others do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast