Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't this a load of crap, NJ cracks down on 50/50s

Chats: 1

Default Isn't this a load of crap, NJ cracks down on 50/50s

This is one reason that it bites to live in NJ.

http://dailyrecord.com/article/20090...TES01/90407005
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 0

Forgive my ignorance, but i had to look up what a 50/50 is...with that aside, what is the need for this?

In my leagues our dues are split as follows: lineage, staff fees (secretary, president....), prize fund. Our banquet is paid for entirely by the bowlers who attend the banquet. Our banquets are typically a dinner and dissemination of prize funds. We go to a local restaurant/catering facility, then just pay for our dinner...typically $15.

I don't understand why you would need a raffle to generate money. Do you do something else that is really special/expensive?

A solution is could you tack a dollar onto everyones league fees to help make up this money?

thanks...I'm really curious about this!

MH
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Chats: 3

50/50's are just always fun to get into. yeah, they help raise money for end of the year festivities, but I play them just for the fun of it.
    that's a crock that they're fining the centers $3,000!
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    This is one reason that it bites to live in NJ.
    Other than being the landfill for NEW YORK..... j/k

That does sux that you can not do the 50/50's
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MH1313 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but i had to look up what a 50/50 is...with that aside, what is the need for this?

In my leagues our dues are split as follows: lineage, staff fees (secretary, president....), prize fund. Our banquet is paid for entirely by the bowlers who attend the banquet. Our banquets are typically a dinner and dissemination of prize funds. We go to a local restaurant/catering facility, then just pay for our dinner...typically $15.

I don't understand why you would need a raffle to generate money. Do you do something else that is really special/expensive?

A solution is could you tack a dollar onto everyones league fees to help make up this money?

thanks...I'm really curious about this!

MH
    A 50/50 is where half of the money generated goes to a fund, and the other half is awarded as a prize.

Generally we use this as a way to generate more prize money. There are monetary awards for a bunch of diifferent categories. Some leagues use it as a way to fund banquets. Not everyone wants to go to them, so rather than funding through league fees, they use 50/50s. This has been going on since I've started bowling leagues in NJ, around 32 years. NJ is going through a budget crunch, so they start cracking down on stupid stuff. I would rather see them investigate where the millions of dollars in the school construction fund disappeared to.

In the bags:

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

Chats: 0

Okay, yeah that makes good sense now, thanks for explaining it! I've often felt it would be nice to have money for some of the areas of bowling that typically don't get recognized.

haha yeah it'd be nice for the government to require the same accountability and regulations they hold us to! well it may be nice...it may also make me cry seeing where funds that disappear actually end up
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

It was a big subject on the local talk radio. A couple of the jocks suggested that we send old bowling balls to the state's Attorney General. I'm almost tempted to do that. The story is that someone called the state gaming commission to report that a bowling alley was running an illegal lottery. As a result, the state investigated all 73 bowling houses in the state. I'm amazed that they're doing this during an election year with an unpopular governor running for re-election, along with most of the state reps.

In the bags:

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

50-50's are fun. We finally won one last Sunday. Big money too, $15.00! LOL! Are they banning strike pots, too? I think it's just an excuse to tax them so they get a cut.

The state backed off the fines. We still can't run 50/50s though.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...e_no_fine.html

In the bags:

The person who told probably never won any raffles. All it takes is for 1 knucklehead!
    Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast