Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dorin-Ballard Almost a “10” in PBA Women’s Series Showdown Win

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Default Dorin-Ballard Almost a “10” in PBA Women’s Series Showdown Win

Lake Wales, Fla. - 4/12/2009

Carolyn Dorin-Ballard was almost a “10” in recording one of the most unusual victories in her hall of fame bowling career at Kegel Training Center.

Dorin-Ballard, one of the most successful women bowlers in history, rolled a television record 20 consecutive strikes, including 11 in a row in the title match, to win the inaugural PBA Women’s Series Showdown presented by the United States Bowling Congress which aired on ESPN Sunday.

In an event that employed the Johnny Petraglia Scoring System for the first time on national television, the Keller, Texas, resident posted a near-perfect score of 11 in the Championship Round Title match to nip Jodi Woessner of Oregon, Ohio, by a single point and rising star Stefanie Nation of Arlington, Texas, by two points.

Under the Petraglia system, players receive one point for each ball thrown in each frame – and the lowest score wins. A perfect game – 10 strikes – is a “10.” And that’s what Dorin-Ballard almost had, except for the 10 pin she left (and converted) in her 10th frame. Woessner nearly matched her, rolling eight strikes along with a pair of spares in the third and fourth frames for a score of 12. Nation threw seven strikes and converted three spares for her score of 13.

“I’m still in shock,” Dorin-Ballard said. “I was lucky to get into the championship round.”

Dorin-Ballard, who collected a $25,000 first prize, also threw nine strikes in the Championship Round Wild Card match, but she wound up in a 12-12 tie with Wendy Macpherson of Henderson, Nev., because she missed a single pin spare conversion attempt in the second frame. Needing a third shot to make the six pin in that frame, Dorin-Ballard’s score of three for that frame kept Macpherson in the match. Dorin-Ballard then had to throw another three strikes in a row to nip Macpherson by a single pin to win a three-ball roll-off to get into the championship round.

“Any time you bowl Wendy Macpherson, you have to bowl your best game,” Dorin-Ballard said. “All of these ladies know how to strike. I knew I had to keep striking to have a chance.”

It was a unique event for the six top performers in the PBA Women’s Series presented by USBC champions during the 2008-09 season, and it gave the women an opportunity to showcase their bowling skills in an usual bowling environment.

“I am glad the women are back on television,” Dorlin-Ballard added. “This series of events is a step in the right direction for the future of women’s professional bowling. With the help of the PBA, USBC, Brunswick, Dexter, Turbo and Kegel, it’s just a matter of time before other sponsors come forward and see the value of the women’s tour.”

PBA WOMEN’S SERIES SHOWDOWN
    PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES BOWLING CONGRESS
    Kegel Training Center, Lake Wales, Fla.

Final Standings
    1, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, Keller, Texas, $25,000
    2, Jodi Woessner, Oregon, Ohio, $12,000
    3, Stefanie Nation, Arlington, Texas, $5,000
    4, Wendy Macpherson, Henderson, Nev., $3,000
    5, Missy Bellinder, Fullerton, Calif., $3,000
    6, Michele Feldman, Auburn, N.Y., $2,000

Championship (Petraglia Scoring System based on one point for each ball thrown in each of 10 frames; low score wins)
    Dorin-Ballard 11, Woessner 12, Nation 13

Wild Card Round (lowest score advanced to Championship Round)
    Dorin-Ballard 12, Macpherson 12, Bellinder 17 (Dorin-Ballard won a three-ball roll-off with Macpherson, 30-29)

Elimination Round (winners advanced to championship round; next three lowest scores advanced to Wild Card Round)
    Match One – Woessner 12, Macpherson 15, Dorin-Ballard 17
    Match Two – Nation 12, Bellinder 15, Feldman 18 (Feldman eliminated)
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

That was truely an underdog tale if i ever seen one. I was highly amazed at how well she and J. Wosseninger performed. CDB w/ 20 stright strikes (a new television record) very impressive.
    Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything!

Don't care for CDB, especially after her comments in her first match which she lost. Also, that scoring system was goofy.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jaws1945 View Post
    Don't care for CDB, especially after her comments in her first match which she lost. Also, that scoring system was goofy.
    what comment did she say ?
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by onefrombills View Post
    what comment did she say ?
    Same here, what comment?
    Don H.
    San Antonio,Texas
    Current Avg. 208 ( April 25,2009 )
    HG: 279
    HS: 762
    Brunswick 1000 Oaks
    Career Highs
    Avg. 213
    300 Game
    802 series
    Global 900 Breaker
    Track Triton Heat

It happened at the end of the first match. She was miked and in the 10th frame after a 7 pin count that eliminated her said something to the effect "20 titles and and I can't get a break." I can't quote the exact words, but she was whining that she deserved better.Granted she did a great job later when she was able to get in the back door when the bowlers in the next match only had to beat 17 to keep her out.

Super Moderator

Its not that bad of a comment

look at the "Threw it like a House bowler" comments each year from the exempt players or F bombs
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

I guess not, she just isn't one of my favorites on the ladies tour

Chats: 0

OH, I heard that comment too..think it was followed by "REALLY.... REALLY" or something to that fact.
    no biggie to me, I actually thought she was on her way out to be honest, but then things turned, as bowling does.
    Don H.
    San Antonio,Texas
    Current Avg. 208 ( April 25,2009 )
    HG: 279
    HS: 762
    Brunswick 1000 Oaks
    Career Highs
    Avg. 213
    300 Game
    802 series
    Global 900 Breaker
    Track Triton Heat

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jaws1945 View Post
    I guess not, she just isn't one of my favorites on the ladies tour
    wow really ????

she is one of the nicest ladies I have met and we have invited them ( her & del ) to our assoc dinner and have worked with her many times
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast