Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amateurs only

Default Amateurs only

I think the USBC national tournament should bar anyone with a PBA card from participating in the tournament. This is just my opinion, but it seems the pros pull alot of cash out of the tournament every year. Either that or raise the average for the classified division.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Quote Originally Posted by jaws1945 View Post
    I think the USBC national tournament should bar anyone with a PBA card from participating in the tournament. This is just my opinion, but it seems the pros pull alot of cash out of the tournament every year. Either that or raise the average for the classified division.
    This may become a heated discusion so stay tuned:

I think whats the diffrence if someone has a PBA card or not ?

What makes a 220 avg person WITH a PBA card diffrent than a 220 avg person WITHOUT a PBA card ?

Also the USBC Open Championships HAS a 2 year wait for a former exempt player to be able to bowl the Tournament.

I hope this helps and clears up any misunderstanding.
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

You have made a good point. I didn't know about the exemption rule. I know there are quite a few faux 200+ average bowlers who become totally lost on a tough condition or when they have to shoot alot of spares. The tournament takes care of those.
    How about this? raise the classified division to at least 190. There isn't a chance in hell that a 180-190 average bowler could ever win the regular division.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I can agree with raising the ave cut. If not that maybe even add in a 3rd division..

169 and below
    170-199
    200+

But also make it to where you have the option to enter a higer division. With doing that I think they could pull in more $ from the lower average bowlers that cant compete with even say the 170ish ave bowlers.. Im talking about the 130-140 ave crowd.. Alot of people just choose not to go because they dont see that they have a chance.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    But also make it to where you have the option to enter a higer division. With doing that I think they could pull in more $ from the lower average bowlers that cant compete with even say the 170ish ave bowlers.. Im talking about the 130-140 ave crowd.. Alot of people just choose not to go because they dont see that they have a chance.
    I completely agree! Bear in mind I've never been to nationals, this is my first year, and I leave on FRIDAY!!!

I do know however a lot of bowlers with lower averages who would LOVE to go, but due to their average feel its a waste of time and money...nationals isn't cheap! I'm going to be carrying a 179 average into the tournament, and I'm looking forwrad to being in a good position to do some work in the lower tier.
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by MH1313 View Post
    I completely agree! Bear in mind I've never been to nationals, this is my first year, and I leave on FRIDAY!!!

I do know however a lot of bowlers with lower averages who would LOVE to go, but due to their average feel its a waste of time and money...nationals isn't cheap! I'm going to be carrying a 179 average into the tournament, and I'm looking forwrad to being in a good position to do some work in the lower tier.

Im just like you, taking a 179 ave out there july 17th. :-) I dont know if ill make the trip from FL to Reno next year with being in the regular division.. I know i would just be going to donate $$ and I dont want to do that...lol Maybe I can do something this year while there.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

I'm carrying a 215 book into this years tournament. July 22-23 for me. I agree that the multiple divisions would help the lower average bowlers to want to attend. My ability has not improved much since averaging 190. The only difference is the frequency of when I shoot 650's and the lessening of the frequency of shooting 520's. My goal in this is just to cover my spares. If you can do that, you can get at least your entry fee back. I've cashed in doubles in all but one of my 5 tournaments. In that one, I cashed in singles. Don't be afraid of us "big dogs" You can't win if you don't try. I personally use this as more of a vacation than a bowling trip. We'll be going to Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon while we're out there.

Now that I'm done with my hijack. Pros vs ameteurs: Most Pros can enter into local and state tournaments too. If they want to pay thier money, I don't have a problem with it. The more that enter, the more money in the prize fund overall.
    Bowling in leagues for 22 years. Sanctioned: 4 300s, 784 high series. Current goal: Clean Sets. 4 this season.
    In the Bag: Brunswick Power Groove(290 - Back 11), Fuze Ragin' Red(300), Ebonite Red Wolf Pearl(300x3), Matrix Trimax II(279 - back 11), Smiley Spare Ball

MH1313
    Having bowled in the Regular division I can assure you that any TEAM that prepares their equipment, practices the shot and works together with their "sister" team will do well at the USBC Nationals. Singles and Doubles is luck of the draw as far as who bowled before you. It is always a fair and playable shot. Is it a house shot - absolutely not. If you do not bowl at home on Sport or PBAX conditions you are in for a surprise. For your first year just take it all in and enjoy the experience, leave your ego at home. It is a grand event that every bowler should experience at least once in their life. It will help you understand just how good the PBA stars really are. The National Bowling Stadium is worth the trip to Reno to say you bowled there. At a 179 average you are at the top of the Classified Division and should score well, stay out of brackets.
    Good Luck in Vegas.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

I stay away from the brackets as well. I would have better luck putting $10 on hard eight.

Quote Originally Posted by playbowl View Post
    MH1313
    Having bowled in the Regular division I can assure you that any TEAM that prepares their equipment, practices the shot and works together with their "sister" team will do well at the USBC Nationals. Singles and Doubles is luck of the draw as far as who bowled before you. It is always a fair and playable shot. Is it a house shot - absolutely not. If you do not bowl at home on Sport or PBAX conditions you are in for a surprise. For your first year just take it all in and enjoy the experience, leave your ego at home. It is a grand event that every bowler should experience at least once in their life. It will help you understand just how good the PBA stars really are. The National Bowling Stadium is worth the trip to Reno to say you bowled there. At a 179 average you are at the top of the Classified Division and should score well, stay out of brackets.
    Good Luck in Vegas.
    Play,

Thanks for the advice, I've been practicing on the shot (as best as we can match it) at my home center with a group of guys who have all been going for 20+ years...they have helped me a lot with understanding what is going on with that level of shot.

I've been shocked at how little my ball reacts, fortunately I'm a fairly accurate shooter. I've been having to run up the 8 board with a slight angle towards the head pin, and its worked "alright" I don't think I'm going to bowl out of my mind there, but as you said, Ego is checked at the door! I'm a fairly humble person to begin with keeping in mind for every good series I have I very well may have a crappy one the next night.

Thanks for the advice on the brackets...I normally destroy the brackets at our State Tournament (this year won over $200 in brackets alone)...I'll definitely steer clear!

Cheers!

MH
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast