Thread: Good Layouts

Chats: 2315

Default Good Layouts

I'm wondering what layouts tend to work for you guys, and what type of layouts(if any specific ones) typically give a good reaction on sport patterns. What type of reaction is that for you?

My thinking is that very controllable reactions are typical for sport patterns, not exactly a true arc but definitely not skid/snap. That way you'd avoid over/under, at least that's what I think. I'm wondering how one would acheive a reaction like that through layouts.

I'm a slightly rev dominant bowler(~16 MPH off my hand, 275+ RPM, medium axis rotation, low tilt) that struggles on sport patterns because it's hard to open up the lane a little. I prefer to play straighter but most times it seems like that type of line just isn't there for me unless I don't come around the ball as much.

Chats: 0

On Sport shots a good rule of thumb is more roll and more stability. Lower drill angle
    Shorter patterns you would want slower transition off the end of the pattern to get down the lane > angle to VAL
    Longer patterns - faster transition < angle to VAL

Unfortunately there is no way to have one ball for all Sport or PBAX conditions soooo......

60 x 4 x 40 would make a good benchmark starting point and see how it reacts.
    Surface will be what determines your reaction for different patterns more than layout.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

Chats: 2315

Thanks for posting. I agree that stability is a safe bet on sport patterns. Now I have some ideas of what to do for layouts.

i like a skid flip reaction. I dont like anything that starts to turn before 30 feet it just doesnt get down the lane good enough.