Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: With or without thumb????

Bowling Black Belt
    Currently living in Utah, but I'm originally from Long Island, NY.
    Chats: 0

I bowl with my thumb in and can't say I've ever tried bowling without the thumb, though I knew a couple of kids in college that I bowled with that were pretty proficient at it. Overall though if the shot is difficult they really don't have much of a chance because they typically weren't very accurate. However with a really easy shot with some room for error at the breakpoint, you'd better take them seriously.

One other problem with bowling no thumb is that once the lanes are burned up, even with a plastic ball it can be difficult to control the hook on the ball. And lastly I've yet to see someone bowl with no thumb that can consistently pick up ball hand corner pins.
    Last edited by Coach 3G; 04-25-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by Coach 3G View Post
    I bowl with my thumb in and can't say I've ever tried bowling without the thumb, though I knew a couple of kids in college that I bowled with that were pretty proficient at it. Overall though if the shot is difficult they really don't have much of a chance because they typically weren't very accurate. However with a really easy shot with some room for error at the breakpoint, you'd better take them seriously.

One other problem with bowling no thumb is that once the lanes are burned up, even with a plastic ball it can be difficult to control the hook on the ball. And lastly I've yet to see someone bowl with no thumb that can consistently pick up ball hand corner pins.
    As stated before i am one that bowls without a thumb... As for the lanes when they get burned out i can agree that it makes it slightly more difficult BUTTTT with the right equipment anything is possible...lol ... I have a negative drilled ball that I had set up just for those broke down lanes after like 20 games have been shot on them... I bowl a monthly trny that runs 6 squads with no reoil and every now and then i get into that last squad sometimes not by choice.. (trying to make cut) but I cant say that I strugle any more than any1 else there.. I usually have one of the higher sets each month and this trny is conducted on sport conditions. ?Last month was the Viper pattern... On the flip side though i think that i am able to handle these conditions due to the training and practice i have put in.. As for the corner pins, the 7 pin is no problem as i am right handed.. and the 10 id say that im about 85-90% on that... Im really wanting to get a video or 2 of me bowling on here so that way everyone can see how i roll.. lol
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

With customers that do both it is necessary for me to know how to bowl with and without a thumb right handed and so far only with a thumb left handed. I need to know what they are experiencing on the lane. If you have not tried bowling without a thumb, easier if you use the 2 handed style, definitely try it. It is a whole different game from what you are used to with a thumb in. One of our local bowlers is very accomplished without a thumb in and a quote from one of our local HOF bowlers was "He has more revs in his backswing than most others have on the whole lane." Until you bowl right with him and see how effortlessly he throws strike after strike you can't realize how good he is. Ultimately, it is what is right for you. If you are happy with how you are bowling that is what is important.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

Bowling Black Belt
    Currently living in Utah, but I'm originally from Long Island, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    Im really wanting to get a video or 2 of me bowling on here so that way everyone can see how i roll.. lol
    I hope that is a promise you can keep as I bet we can all learn from your style, and heck I'm curious to see exactly how you roll it. Sounds like you've figured out how to deal with the shortcomings of the no thumb ball, while cashing in on the positives at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Coach 3G View Post

howdy yall, im new to the forums, i bowl with no thumb in the ball, ive been bowling for 5 years now and have never tried to bowl with my thumb in, when i first started it felt completely awkward to use my thumb so ive never tried it again!

we just finished winter league, i finished with a 191 average, 267 high game and a 729 series were my high lights! previous summer league i averaged 203 with 50% of my games being 200's! never got a 300 but ive had quite a few 288's and 289's, cant seem to get that 11th strike i guess!

it cracks me up when people who have never really tried to bowl 2 finger say it cant be done with any accuracy, my average has improved every season and i very rarely practice, im the only 2 finger guy on my team and i was the only one to hit his average at nationals this year!

but the key is i get most my spares, even the 10 pin, ive learned to spin the ball both to the left and the right, trowing righty, the ability to spin it both diirections with accuracy also allows me to pick up splits that i would normally have no chance at! i also use a plastic ball i can throw straight as an arrow!

as far as im concerned there is no right or wrong way to bowl, its all how ever you feel comfortable! naturally this is just my opinion, but as long as i continue to improve my average i will not change styles!

btw, most 300's rolled at the bowling center i bowl at, bowled by a 2 fiinger bowler!!!

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Super Moderator

Blog Entries

I really had to rev up a little more than usual due to playing a different line than everyone else.. I was throwing a Virtual Gravity in the vids... Had some bad breaks tonight with a few missed spares by rushing but with a 185 ave in this league went 234-226-210- 670
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

i started bowling with my thumb and still do today....i also practice 2 handed from time to time ,
    jason poe
    Personal Game Highs
    299 & 300 (Back 2 Back Weeks)
    Current average 209
    proud member of [U]bowlingboards.com

With thumb= less revs but more accuracy....

without-= less accuracy, more revs

There can be advantages with both styles, however the no thumb style is a individual thing depending on : Hand size, finger/wrist strength and endurance, tendon strength in the bicep and forearm.

Any one thinking of attempting, or currently bowling "no thumb", should be aware of the risks associated with that style. With long term and repeated stress on the wrist, bicep, forearm and fingers, without the benefit of "correctly applied leverage", can end your bowling career and enjoyment of the game. Just ask pba pro and champion mike miller.

Good bowling.

BY THE WAY I BOWL WITH MY THUMB IN THE BALL.
    bowls: right handed, average: 208 and rising, style: tweener
    ball company: Lane #1
    rev rate: 385 rpm

breakin' sucka's jaws with my saws

Lane #1 baby.......on the grind

U.S.B.C. CERTIFIED COACH

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast