Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: With or without thumb????

Being an ole school senior stroker, I've always had thumb in ball, but my younger son(age 24) has bowled with his thumb out for about 7 yrs, now he is working with thumb in..he is seeing that he losses too much control with the thumb out..
    I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

a lil update, still bowling with no thumb, just rolled 209-247-238 for a very nice 694, crashed the head pin on the first ball in league play and didnt convert the split, that was my only open of the night! as long as i can continue to improve throwing two fingers i will never put my thumb in the ball!

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

I bowl with a thumbtip (for added control) but have been a 2 finger bowler since I stumbled upon it, and enjoy it. Consistency is the hard part, you get the added revs, and its easier on your thumb. Spare shooting can be harder if you dont practice enough, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    I can't really comment on no-thumb because I've never bowled that way....but I would imagine a person might have less accuracy and control without using the thumb....but that's just my thought.
    thats exactly why i use my thumb, the no thumb can get some revs though.. its basically two handed without the second hand to keep the ball still.

What is Bowling?

How can anyone throw a bowling ball without using the thumb.

What is Bowling?

I guess it's like golf grips. If you do anything enough, you improve

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by Peit71 View Post
    How can anyone throw a bowling ball without using the thumb.
    just like anyone that uses a thumb... practice makes perfect.. :-)
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Chats: 2315

If I was to bowl no thumb, it would definitely be with two hands. At least that way there'd be some control.

I would probably hurt myself without the thumb. ( or someone else)
    There's a guy on my team that bowls without his thumb he does pretty good, but has a hard time picking up spares, because of the control problem... His dad is working with him on using the thumb to pick up spares.. I think if you can do it go for it.. But you have to do what is best for you..
    I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Balls in bag Cherry Vibe 12# and Onyx Vibe 14#

I never would bowl without using my thumb unless injury forced me to. I know there are good bowlers out there using thumbless technique but not one coach, pro, or really good bowler i have ever met recommends doing this. I think it is an unfortunate evolution of learning with house balls that dont fit and therefore in order to "hook" the ball people start bowling without their thumb.

I would say in GENERAL, 9 out of 10 bowlers i see bowl that way are very inconsistent and its strike or nothing. If you put a really good bowler who uses their thumb, say 210 average or so and pit them against a bowler who doesnt use their thumb but has say a 220 average even. I would always bet on the thumb using 210 average bowler. Safer bet.

Once the lane starts breaking down and all of that comes into play I just dont see that thumbless bowler beating them.
    Just one person's opinion.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast