Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mars Review

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Mars review

Mars

The shield line continues to add value in the best entry level balls on the market. For pro shop operators this series could easily be your best seller. Don’t be deceived by the picture as the ball is pretty cool looking especially going down the lane.

The Orbiter II core wrapped in one of my favorite coverstocks. The Hybrid Reactive coverstock provides more versatility than most balls especially at this price range. Definitely suited for shorter patterns, the Mars does very well on your typical house shot. Good heavy roll with not a lot of flare. It also does very well when lanes get ugly or burnt. The Mars can allow you to stay in your comfort zone longer or when others are lofting the gutter caps. Highly recommended for tournament bowlers.

Kelly O’Driscoll
    Roto Grip Staff

Default Roto Grip Mars

I drilled the box condition (1500 polished Hybrid cover) Mars with a 4 3/4 x 4 layout, pin 3/4" above the fingers on grip centerline, leaving approximately 1/2 ounce of static side and finger weight, no hole.

The Mars is definately a medium to dry lanes ball. The hybrid cover is great and the Orbiter II weight block matches up nicely with it. Because it is a high rg, low differential ball, medium to heavy oil volumes and the Mars will not work all that well together. On a fresh house shot (39') the Mars skidded down lane too long before making a move to the pocket.
    But, on a 37' PBA Viper pattern,on wood lanes, the Mars was right on. The ball went through the heads easily and made a nice move off the break point. Using surface/pin adjustments for synthetic surfaces should allow the ball driller to match up a Mars with the novice, intermediate, or advanced player with no problem depending on what the bowler is looking for.

As with all the balls in the Planet line, the Orbiter II core hits extremely hard, keeping the pins low, allowing for more carry on slightly off pocket hits. For bowler's looking for a late shift or tournament burn ball, the Mars will get the job done. For the less experienced bowler, buying their first reactive ball, the Mars will work just fine.

Brendan Bierch
    Roto Grip Pro Shop Staff
    SenorRotoGrip

What is Bowling?

Default Mars review

Drilling 5 3/4 x 3 1/2 pin under middle finger.
    I drilled the Mars with a longer pin to pap in hopes of getting great length and a little kick on the backend to use on true dry conditions. At the time of drilling we had 3 upcoming tournaments on wood lanes where I expected this to be a good remedy.

After initially throwing the ball on a medium volume THS on HPL's, this ball went even longer than expected. The backend movement was as expected, just too far down the lane. This ball definitely needed some dry boards to move. I decided to take some of the shine off and try it at 2000 grit to get it to pick up a little sooner.

On the wood lanes, this ball really shined. I wasn't able to use it initially but once the heads started to blow, this ball was the perfect match. While others were struggling getting any length, with balls hooking at their feet, the Mars still got through the heads with ease without sacrificing carry. Normally I would be in around 5th arrow, whereas the Mars allowed me to stay between 2nd and 3rd.

In summary, the Mars is a great ball for dry lane conditions or broken down shots. As always, don't be afraid to make surface adjustments as needed to fine tune your ball reaction.

What is Bowling?

Default Mars Review

I drilled the Mars to be used on short sport patterns. I drilled it 40x6x60. The tall that I drilled has a 2.5” pin. This layout put the pin just to the left of my middle finger. This Mars reacts just like I wanted and predicted it would. It does not hook immediately upon leaving the oiled part of the lanes. It makes a controlled move to the pocket and still hits with power. I threw the ball on the cheetah pattern. I played 4 board at the arrows and was standing on the 17th board with the center of my left foot. The ball made a predictable smooth motion to the pocket. The only drawback was the drilling. If I got lazy I did not get the ball to finish.
    The Mars in my opinion will be an excellent ball for the beginning bowler looking for an entry level performance ball or for the experience tournament bowler looking for a good ball for light oil.

Cory
    www.tenpincoaching.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rockteschel View Post
    I drilled the Mars to be used on short sport patterns. I drilled it 40x6x60. The tall that I drilled has a 2.5” pin. This layout put the pin just to the left of my middle finger. This Mars reacts just like I wanted and predicted it would. It does not hook immediately upon leaving the oiled part of the lanes. It makes a controlled move to the pocket and still hits with power. I threw the ball on the cheetah pattern. I played 4 board at the arrows and was standing on the 17th board with the center of my left foot. The ball made a predictable smooth motion to the pocket. The only drawback was the drilling. If I got lazy I did not get the ball to finish.
    The Mars in my opinion will be an excellent ball for the beginning bowler looking for an entry level performance ball or for the experience tournament bowler looking for a good ball for light oil.

Cory
    www.tenpincoaching.com
    That is almost identical to the ball I drilled up for short sport patterns from another company except your 60 was 30 for me. You must have a slower ball speed (15-16). Sounds like the Mars is just like the rest of the planet series. Great beginner to benchmark balls as well as light oil conditions. Great equipment for the price.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

What is Bowling?

Default Roto Grip Mars Review

My Mars is drilled with the pin about 3 1/2 inches from my PAP with the CG kicked to the right about a quarter of an inch. This drilling allows the ball to get through the fronts and start to react mid lane with strong back end and be very continuous through the break point and pins. This ball hits like a truck and is very consistent and predictable. This ball has the mid lane roll of the Pluto but the back end reaction of the Neptune. This ball will work on many different conditions.

Jimmy Crews
    Roto Grip Amateur Staff Member

What is Bowling?

Default Mars for the end of a long day.

The Mars is the answer when you need a ball to play in the dry area. I can use my normal hand position and turn and the ball and it reacts like my Cell's no matter how dry the lanes get. I use it in the dirt and when I want to ride the edge of the oil. The best part is that it Carry's like a ball that costs much more. This ball is excellent for tournament shots especially when the lanes dry out in the heads. Goes through the heads easily but finishes like a much more expensive ball. When you want to cut down on your swing but still need power at the pins this is the ball for you.

Default Mars !!

This ball is SO CLEAN and creates a SMOOTH/AGGRESIVE motion to the pocket with TREMENDOUS HITTING POWER!! The ball allows me to stay right when others start fighting the friction. I ALSO have been able to step in and get this HYBRID to cover some boards. Bowlers have asked me,"what is that?" My reply is, " the latest ENTRY LEVEL ball from Roto Grip!" This ball definetely fits between the Pluto (Early) and the Neptune (Late) very well.

There is NO company giving the bowler this much versatility at an ENTRY LEVEL than Roto Grip!!! GREAT JOB

Default Mars review

Drilled up a Mars to help out through some tough transitions. This ball is very predictable and gets to the pins with energy leftover. Drilled one up with a initial drilling angle of 45 degrees with a 3.75" pin to PAP and VAL angle of 55 degrees. Brought my game back to the right about 12 boards and was able to throw it to and through the "dirt" and leftovers on the right side of a wood lanes house that I am usually starting with my feet somewhere between 24 and 32 keeping the ball tight online to stay in the oil. Slight surface change will allow you to keep the speed up and start with this ball on a fresh shot. Ball will read the end and bank off of the dry boards with zero hesitation while still getting through the front half of the lane very clean.

Default Mars review

Drilling Rico, pin in the palm with CG at 45 deg angle.

This ball is very smooth throughout. Easy through the heads, good read through the mids, and does not jump when it hits dry. The pin action is good. I have had very good luck with the entry level Roto Grip balls, and this ball is no different. Great addition with the hybrid coverstock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast