A Thank You Letter From The Heart
from Mark and Denise Roth August 31, 2009

Dear Bowling Family,

First, an update : Mark is home, and working hard at rehab. He is holding his own, and on a good day can walk approximately 300 feet at a time. (with the assistance of a tripod walking device) He uses an ankle brace for his left ankle to hold his foot in place as he walks. (He still has little or no use of his left ankle- without the brace it is difficult to walk) Nothing more with his left arm/hand as yet...small movements at best; but every little movement - is a wonderful thing! It truly is the small things in life that count the most.

Time has passed by so quickly. It is almost Fall; just the other day (Mary 31st) it seemed we were waiting for Summer. Mark was still enjoying and talking about the ceremony in which he was inducted into the USBC Hall of Fame in Reno - the first part of May. We were all packed for the Vegas tournament - which we ultimately didn't make. It's a strange feeling to be seeing fall items in the stores because we can't really remember summer this year... It's a vague memory.

Every day & night the past few months were spent in the hospital or rehab with Mark - and for the life of me- thinking back - when I did go home during that time, I couldn't tell you what the weather was like on any given day. Summer 2009 has gotten away from us, but we look towards the up coming seasons with much hope of brighter tomorrows.

At certain times during this past few months we would wonder, ‘is this just a bad dream? or is this real?’ - then leaving that thought behind - because it was too mind-boggling to try and come to the harsh reality of what this would actually mean long term. We had enough to do with just getting through each day. We were going through the motions, but putting the emotions aside until we were in a better place to be able to face them. We had to do what we had to do at the time.

Mark was so physically weak, but trying so very hard to move his left side (with everything he had) for even the slightest of movements; being wheeled in and out for yet and still another test, and trying to find something he could eat as the stroke affected his swallowing. He could only eat mechanical soft foods for the first month. No fries! No burgers!... just thickened liquids. Everyone who knows Mark knows how much he loves his fries - and how difficult the "no fries" period had to have been for him. . .(lol).

Needless to say he lost 15 lbs. very quickly! (but has managed to regain a few pounds to date) As for me - I was tired - very hurt- and sad to see Mark in such a bad place, I had many conversations with God . . . still do. I stayed in “ shock mode,” and did what I could to support Mark and make him comfortable.

However, a couple of weeks ago, the shock of it all wore off, and reality hit! Mark was released from inpatient rehab and came home. Reality hit us square in the face... this is real! We were scared -what now? - Can we do this? Life as we knew it had forever changed; things will never be the same.

A few days into being home- the flood gates opened up -even to hear the guys were back out on the summer tour - and just knowing that Mark may never ever be able to be out there bowling again - was a very painful reality. It seemed unbearable. But moving forward - Mark continues with such determination, and moves through his difficult days like the Champ that he is. At 58, Mark is too young not to have a chance at continued rehab, and to try to make as much of a recovery as he possibly can. He is committed, and is amazingly determined as only Mark Roth would be. He'll need rehab for the rest of his life - Rehab he wouldn't be able to continue if it weren't for all of your help. Thank you for all of the tournaments that have already taken place, and for all of the up- coming tournaments. Thanks for coming together . . .to help give Mark a fighting chance.

Although we have many, many, many more miles in our journey, we are very thankful for the progress Mark has made. We are so very thankful for our friends, the entire Bowling community, (Mark's extended family for 40 years ) family, and fans . . .without them we wouldn't have the strength and help we need to carry on. The song "Carry on" by Kansas - Mark's song to help him get pumped up before bowling when he was out on Tour; the same song that was played for him at the USBC Hall of Fame Induction this past May. And every time his cell phone rings - it's sings out -"Carry on my way ward son -there will be peace when you are done." His song has taken on new meaning today."

We have So many thank you's to go out. . .we've sent many. . .but have so many people yet to thank. Some people we don't even know how to reach. And, how do you say thank you when thank you just doesn't seem like enough? We'd like to thank some CLOSE and very SPECIAL FRIENDS - Lifelong friends Johnny Petraglia, Parker Bohn, Judy Soutar, Kurt Harz, Bobby Rogers, Chris Monroy, Ray Shackelford, Jerry Francomano, Mark Wagoner, (Goober), Marshall Holman, Danny Wiseman, Hal Farber, Don Corcoine, Neil and Nicole Feincold, Dave Juric, Rose Johnson, Joan Gurney. . . I don't think you guys realize what great strength you've given to Mark and I through your prayers, calls, cards, flowers, raffles, tournaments, donations, "words of encouragement" and "just checking in with us every few days - just to let us know you are out there - and you care". You kept us going through the darkest of hours- and for that we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You held us up - and you probably don't even realize just how much your help has impacted our lives. You guys are all Angels.

Many, many thanks to a friend -Kurt Harz -from Brunswick for the donation of the Mark Roth image bowling balls to be raffled off at the various tournaments. Your generosity is over whelming..

Stan Kodish take a bow -and a Standing O to you our friend! Thank you, a million times - thank you. . .thank you. . .thank you. There will be a place for you in heaven..

A huge and heart felt thank you to Troy Greisen and everyone at The Bowling Foundation; All of our good friends at the PBA, USBC. . . Mark Sabintine- PBA Lane Man, Mike Tryniski at Lake View Lanes, Bob Johnson and Jim Dressel and everyone at Bowler's Journal, Bowling Writers, Friends - Jim and CJ Goodwin at Stars and Strikes, Senior Bowlers and Stops -Thanks to the Centers for helping Johnny P. with Mark Roth Ball raffles. Thank you to all of regular tour guys, Nick Melnikoff -Bowler's Paradise thank you.Thank you for all the Newspaper Articles, Press Releases, etc. Thank you to all of the centers that have run or will be running tournaments.

A big thank you to all of the Doctors at St Joseph's and University Hospital, Syracuse, NY, all of the rehab facilities, especially St. Luke's Heath Services in Oswego, NY. You guys are wonderful! Thanks for going the extra mile! Many thanks to Dan Markind for all of your kind help.

And Thank you to all of the Fans and for the fan mail! You are the greatest!

The outpouring to Mark from people all over the world has been amazingly touching. People felt a great loss in hearing the news of Mark's paralysis. Most of the fans have let Mark know that he has been a Hero and inspiration in their lives for many year s- and he always will be. Devastation is the word used by fans most often as they wrote. The news truly shook many people. I told Mark,"I feel for your fans". . . they are in pain...they are really feeling it.

A very special thank you to Kirk Von Krueger and Fred Schreyer of the PBA along with all of our friends at the PBA, for all of the prayers, well wishes, cards, flowers . . .it mean so much. Thank you for naming the up coming PBA Plastic Ball Tournament in March the Mark Roth Plastic Ball Championship. It is truly an honor- Mark is really proud, and happy he's here to enjoy it.

Thank you to our family... thanks for being there. We love you.

If there is anyone we've failed to mention . . .Please know we thank you.

You are ALL truly amazing people!

We Love You All,

Mark and Denise Roth