Thread: Help, Silly question

Thunder-Hammer!
    Chats: 0

Question Help, Silly question

Ok, as most of you know or have read from my introduction thread not too long ago, I am very new to the sport and enjoy it greatly...(even more when I hit my spares) Anyway, I bought my first ball, the Hotsauce straight off of the rack and honestly couldn't tell you what the pin placement or top weight is and since it sat for a while, unfortunately neither could they. I'll be honest, I'm not very goodand if I had to say my average is at best a lowsy 140. My issue is I have beaten the ball up with my earlier gutter experiences and I'm kind of saddened by the way my ball looks. I was looking over at buddies proshop and found a great deal on a clear black widow and hotsauce combo but the choices of pin and topweight "SERIOUSLY" overwhelmed me. I really like my current hotsauce as far as its reaction and the like so I would love to keep it the same. I'm basically just going to use my current hotsauce as my normal day ball in hopes as to when I get a little better in the future I won't have quite as much wear and tear on my equipment. So long story short, my question is this: For a newer bowler, does pin and weight have that great of an influence on me? Also, how would I go about finding out my current ball's stats as so I can match them?

(I apologize for sounding quite like the bowling newbie, but unfortunately I am a newbie.)
    I'm Donny!

Arsenal= all in 15# Hammer Black Widow Venom, BW Clear, Hot sauce, Hammer Clear hammer(my collectible), and Emerald Vibe.

Ebonite Magic , and an Ebonite Maxim spareball

I'm proud to be a member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

If your ball is beat up looking take it to the pro shop and have them resurface it. (See if they have a Haus Machine or a Storm Surface factory to do it, if not it can be done on the spinner) It would be like a new ball then.

You have a fair arsenal now Magic for oil, Hot Sauce for mediums and Vibe for the dry. Resurfacing would be cheaper than getting a new one.

As for your ball stat's they can tell you a lot at the pro shop. Like your grip, locate your PAP (which if they drilled it for you they should have that info on file all ready even starting top weight),gross/side/finger and thumb weight.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-06-2009 at 09:11 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thunder-Hammer!
    Chats: 0

Thank you, It seems like another trip to the local shop is in order I suppose.
    I'm Donny!

Arsenal= all in 15# Hammer Black Widow Venom, BW Clear, Hot sauce, Hammer Clear hammer(my collectible), and Emerald Vibe.

Ebonite Magic , and an Ebonite Maxim spareball

I'm proud to be a member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums!!!

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

as for the pin its a simple measurement from the pin to the CG marking.. Im not sure what the CG mark is on Hammer balls but it should be within 4 inches from the pin. So look for a random dot or marking thats not apart of the ball label. Top weight will be a little more difficult to measure since the ball has been drilled.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)