Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Dimension

Chats: 0

Default (updated) SECOND DIMENSION review by Storm staffer Jeff Richgels

SECOND DIMENSION

5 7/8 pin to PAP, 4 MB to PAP, 5 1/8 pin buffer

This drilling is a copy of my original VIRTUAL GRAVITY. Pin is above and left of my middle finger, CG about in grip center. It gives me a controlled move and usually enables me to stay to the right and not have to get way in and go around the pattern.

I drilled my first SECOND DIMENSION last Friday and had a chance to use it a bit in a tournament on a house condition over the weekend. I will update this and post more information as I get a chance to use it more but wanted to get my first impressions out there.

I think the SECOND DIMENSION is going to turn into my go-to first choice when it's time to put the VIRTUAL GRAVITYs away – or there simply is not enough oil for the VIRTUAL. (I am now up to three VIRTUALs and have retired all of my other oil balls such as the ATTITUDE SHIFT and SPECIAL AGENT.)

Scores were stratospheric in the tournament and with two of my VIRTUALs I had 783 the first three games of the four-game qualifying. For game four, I first pulled out a new HY-ROAD I had just drilled but it was skidding a bit long and then breaking a bit sharp for comfort.

So I went to the SECOND DIMENSION and it had no such problems. My last seven shots all were flush with a blower 10 and two rings 10s so it wasn't the perfect match for carry but it gave me tons of room to get flush. (I went back to a VIRTUAL for match play.)

What's of interest is how strong the SD was – I only moved about 1-1 back right off where I was with my strongest VIRTUAL and the SD did not have any problem rolling through the oil and making a strong move off the spot. Clearly the new mica in the SD is going to give it a much better profile in oil than, for example, the HY-ROAD or T-ROAD PEARL.

The SD clearly made a sharper and stronger move than the VIRTUAL with that drilling. I can hardly imagine how strong the move will be in an SD with a stronger drilling. Might be too much for my moderate ball speed but we're probably going to find out.

My first impression is that the SD reminds me of the PARADIGM, which I still have one of drilled very strong. I probably will end up trying a strong SD to match the PARADIGM and then retire that trusty old warrior if the SD works that way.

UPDATE 1/30/09 – I used the SD in our Sport league last night. We are bowling on Kegel's Highway to Hell pattern, which is the flattest Kegel pattern. For whatever reason, this center hooks more than any relatively new synthetic house I have ever bowled in and last night was no exception. Whereas on Highway to Hell in a tournament I have used the VIRTUAL GRAVITY, I have been using an old FIRED UP in our Sport league on it.
    On Thursday night I was able to use the SD the first game going maybe 12-10 at the start and 15-10 at the end of the game. I managed a 240-something with one nose dive strike and a flagged 10pin. I had a great reaction keeping it between 10 and 15 to around 10 at the break point. At the start of the second game, I went high three straight shots making small moves, then made a big move to about 19 going to 10ish and managed one flush strike before going high again. Simply put, the SD was too strong once the pattern started getting chewed up and I was forced to go to my FIRED UP and T-ROAD PEARL the rest of the night.
    I would agree with what my doubles partner Steve Richter has said that the SD reminds me of a PARTICLE PEARL reaction – it rolls much better in oil (and too much in dry) compared to a HY-ROAD or T-ROAD PEARL. I continue to see this ball as somewhat like a PARADIGM (drilling is very different from mine so it's hard to perfectly compare) and a great go-to ball when VIRTUALs begin going too early.

Also ...

VIRTUAL GRAVITY # 3

5 pin to PAP, 5 1/2 key to PAP, 5 1/8 pin buffer

(pin in palm)

This my third VIRTUAL GRAVITY.

First one was pin above and left of middle finger with CG in grip center and key just to the right of my thumb hole. (6 pin to PAP, 4 7/8 key to PAP, 5 1/2 pin buffer)

Second one was same drilling angle with pin moved over above ring finger.

First one has been my favorite ball for some time. Makes a controlled move and doesn't force me to get too deep and go around the pattern. Ball is so strong that it still has plenty even with the control drilling.

Second one is for house china when the puddle is huge and I want to get in and attack from the puddle. Don't use it that often but when I do it is very effective at that.

Third one with the pin in the palm saw its first action last weekend. I was a little leery of this drilling in a VIRTUAL but it surprised me.

In a Saturday tournament on house china it was good but not as good as the first and second VIRTUALs.

But in a 5-man team tournament on Sunday on a Sport pattern it totally amazed me. It was about a 40-foot 2.26-1 pattern with I think 25mls of oil that turned out to hook more than expected, probably due to the early Brunswick synthetic surface like they have in Vernon Hills, Ill., where the Tour bowls.

We opened the pattern up to the right of 10 in practice – it was our regular USBC team with Tom Hess replacing Mike Shady – and shot about 1,183. Not surprisingly, the PITP VIRTUAL rolled back nicely from out there. What did surprise me is that it didn't check early and I actually had a little hold.

The next game we flipped to 1-2, which was flying and we all were forced to jump in between 15 and 20. I didn't think I'd have any choice but to get away from the PITP VIRTUAL but it got down the lane very well. The next two pairs were similar with just a little more skid overall. I stayed with the ball all four games and ended up with 952 while we led with 4,545 – yes, it didn't play like a 2.26-1 sport shot.

They re-oiled for the Baker finals and I used the ball throughout starting between 5 and 10 and ending up just inside 10. They dropped qualifying pins and we ended up third out of six teams – way behind the Fox Bowl team that won USBC Team All-Events last year.

The moral of this story is that a PITP is NOT too strong of a drilling for a VIRTUAL. If I can use it with my moderate speed it should be fine for just about anyone. Thanks to Hank Boomershine for telling me it would be OK for me.

With these three virtuals, I have now officially retired all of my other "oil" balls, including ATTITUDE SHIFT and SPECIAL AGENT.
    Last edited by JaxBowlingGuy; 09-09-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Default Second Dimension

Hand: Left handed

Ball Speed: 16-17mph

Ball Weight: 15lbs 3oz

Top: 2.88oz

Pin: 2.5-3

Layout: Labled (pin next to ring finger with cg in the midline)

Well first off I would like to say that this ball is amazing! I drilled up the new Storm Second Dimension which is the newest ball from the Storm master line. It is a pearl version of the original Dimension. I drilled mines label drilling with the pin next to my ring finger and cg in the middle of my midline. The Second Dimension is really clean through the heads and reads the midlane consistently and has a medium backend reaction. Its not as flippy as the Storm Hyroad so if you want a ball for house shots this is the ball to have.

It is a really good compliment to the Dimension so when the heads dry up or the midlane is hooking up too early, you can go to the Second Dimension and it will go through the mess and keep the backend reaction the Dimension had.

I have used it during league and at my bowling center its been too dry to use so I haven't been able to see how it is on a typical house shot. I have bowled a tournament and the shot was where you couldn't really swing the ball. It was more of a straight up the boards or maybe swing 10 to 4 shot. I used the Second Dimension and the ball didn't care what was out there. I was able to swing it 16 to 5, more than everyone else even through the oil.

I have a picture of my Second Dimension drilled in my photo album! If you have any questions about the Second dimension email at grichardson7716@aol.com.

Garrett Richardson
    Storm Staff Member
    Al Louie's Pinole/Diablo Valley Pro Shop
    www.myspace.com/grstorm
    www.stormbowling.com

Default Second Dimension review by Storm Amatuer Staffer Justin Buford

Ball Weight 15lbs 3oz
    Top Weight 3.02oz
    Pin 3-3.5 inch (3 Ό to be exact)

Rev Rate 450 RPM with a ball speed of 17.5 (C.A.T.S. Measured)

Layout: 5 Ό inch pin to PAP by 3 7/8 inch CG to PAP with a 2 ½ inch Pin Buffer

Post Drilling left me with ½ oz of finger weight and 3/8 oz of side weight, so no hole needed.

Left the Ball at Box Finish (1500-grit Polished)

With the 2D I was looking for length and controlled back-end motion, and that is exactly what I got of it. On my league nights I feel there is not enough oil out there to really have a good look with the original Dimension. With the 2D I get the extra two-three feet that I need when going from my skid to hook phases on the lane. The motion of this ball is just amazing as all three transitions were as smooth as can be.,not a violent snap on the back . When it hits the pin deck, there truly is an explosion-like look on the pins, as they seem to get sucked into the center before they shoot back and away. Walked away from this night with 695 series for the three games thanks to some late adjustments in game three, I probably would've had a higher series. Operator error.

Yesterday I went back to the center to do my normal practice routine with a new ball and get some video work done for study. I start off playing the lanes in my normal zone 15 to 6, and I had the same look as I had in league. So I bailed on that line to really see what this ball is capable of doing. First, I made a 3 and 2 move right to get into the friction early. The 2D responded well to this “miss” shot by not jumping off the spot, but rather saving the energy and giving me a similar down lane motion. This opened my eyes because I've always had a problem hitting friction early with pearl covers. Although the hits weren't as clean as I would like them, the results were nearly the same as my “A” game line.

Next I moved in deep to 30 with a break point of 12 to see how the reaction to being in oil the longest amount of time would be. At first, not so well as my rev rate was over powering the back part of the lane. But after making some adjustments with hand I was able to get the ball to “fade” into the pocket while still getting the explosion-like hit on the deck.

In closing this is an A+++ from Storm. The apple pie fragrance and colors of this ball definitely give it some shelf appeal. I've already had a few hits on the ball from some of my customers and league bowlers at the center, but I had to play the teaser role this week for them. Should make them more hungry for it.

The video is posted on my myspace page. Enjoy, feel free to leave comments
    Last edited by JBuford300; 02-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Justin Buford
    Storm Amateur Staff
    Cliff Barnes Pro Shop- Strike Zone Brunswick, GA
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcat300

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Great review and we can add some pics of the ball if you like?

Also welcome aboard. Maybe we can help sponsor you too.
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Excellent review. I see by your profile you work at Boardwalk. That's a nice place and really big. Plus I love their selections of beers. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your reviews, you write well.

Default Thank you

Thank you very much for the comments guys. My goal is to inform and educate, not to boast about myself or brag about a product. I believe that honesty is the only way to successfully build relationships on and off the lanes. Rather in the shop, on the lanes, or on message boards such as this, I think it's important that we get bowlers into the RIGHT equipment, not just the latest and greatest. Thank you Christopher for building a forum like this that we in the bowling community (manufacturers, staffers, pro, amateurs, and even Johnny League Bowler) can share our thoughts.

Remember, we need to keep bowlers in the game/sport and not let them be disappointed with themselves in it. We all have a role in that, from the presidents of companies to the desk people at the centers.

On topic, I'll be posting my Virtual Gravity review on here in a little bit.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by JBuford300; 02-02-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Thought I made a spelling error
    Justin Buford
    Storm Amateur Staff
    Cliff Barnes Pro Shop- Strike Zone Brunswick, GA
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcat300

What is Bowling? oldschoollefty's Avatar

Default Storm Second Dimension review

Now... a look at the 2nd Dimension from the left side.

Got mine about a week ago, drilled 3-3/8 X 5, pin just left of ring finger, key about 8:00 to the thumb.

I was originally going to drill this one weaker since the pin was about 4" from CG but I decided at the last minute to go stronger.

First action was my home center, old wood lanes, toasted house shot. I was amazed how strong a pearl ball could react in the mid lane but the 2D didn't disappoint. Just to keep the ball left of the headpin, I had to move an arrow right of my "comfort zone" on the approach. (feel free to insert lefties having to move their feet joke anytime ) Normally, when I get that far right, I have trouble with the ball burning up in the mids and the plaque 7 pins begin to pile up. No problem for the Continuum weight block. Even with an earlier read, the ball had plenty of energy down the lane and carried well even on less than perfect hits. The 3-3/8 pin translated to between 5 and 6 inches of flare--not bad for a rev challenged guy like me. Three game set: 711

The next opportunity came two nights later, different center, ProLane surface (new). Shot was much tighter (about two arrows left for me) which gave me a chance to see how this ball would do in oil. Answer... impressive. I piped the ball straight up 7 most of the set, great length and while the ball didn't "explode" on the back end, the Continuum core earned its name with a smooth, very continuous move off the breakpoint. The only blemish on the night was two smash 10 pins and two smash 8 pins, all in the middle of strings. For someone without a lot of hand, that's unusual. Three game set: 739.

Overall observation... the 2nd Dimension performed as advertised, more length than the Virtual Gravity with more midlane read than the Hy-Road. In other words, a perfect addition to the arsenal. When I have a chance to hit a Sport/PBA pattern with it, I'll add that to my review.

Kurt Gengelbach
    Storm Regional Staff

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Great review and comments. Great work Storm Staffers
    Go Broncos!

What is Bowling?

Default 2nd Dimension Ball Review by Amateur Storm Staffer Casey Murphy

Name: Casey Murphy
    Style: Right handed, 425 rpm, 16 mph ball speed
    Axis: 4 13/16 over, 5/16 up

Ball: Second Dimension (1 of 2)
    Layout: Dual Angle Layout (35 degree drilling angle, 5 1/4 inch from axis, 35 degree angle to the val) Basically, the pin is above and between my fingers, cg is kicked out a little.

Ball: 2nd Dimension (2 of 2)
    Layout: Dual Angle Layout (30 degree drilling angle, 5 inches from the axis, 80 degree angle to the val). The pin is below and centered between my fingers, cg is kicked out quite a bit with a balance hole.

Playing around just after drilling the ball
    Lane Surface: Synthetic Heads, Wood Backends
    Condition: House Condition, High volume. A lot of oil from 10 to 10, just a little less oil from 9 out to the gutter
    Event: Practice
    This ball is amazing! I will elaborate. My first game out of the box with 2nd Dimension #1....299. I left a 2 pin because I threw it way too hard and missed it at the bottom. Overall very strong and smooth backend. Was standing on 25, crossing around 15 with breakpoint around 7. Had a lot of room left and right. The ball rolled excellent in the midlane and was responsive on the backend almost every time. 2nd Dimension #2 was very good, but not nearly as impressive as #1. With the pin lower the ball wasn't nearly as responsive on the backend which is a must for scoring at Sunshine.

Central Illinois Tournament
    Lane Surface: Believe it or not, same as Sunshine Lanes, Synthetic Heads, Wood Backends
    Condition: House/Tournament Condition, Medium-high volume in the middle. Pure 10 to 10 shot. You could have eaten off 9 to the gutter.
    Event: Central Illinois Mens Tournament, Team event
    We bowled the second team set of the day with no re-oil. Used 2nd Dimension #1. Was standing on 30, crossing 18, breakpoint around 9. There was quite a bit of carrydown and the outside was blended a little outside to about 7 so your ball didn't instantly hook when it went off the main oil pattern. I took advantage of it. 277, 238, 276 for 791. Had the front 9 the last game, needed the first one in the 10th for 800, but alias i threw it too hard and missed it at the bottom for a bucket. Very good day in the brackets.

Bowling Weekly Travel League
    Lane Surface: Original Anvillane. Lots of friction.
    Condition: House Condition. Actually very flat and very short. Pretty tough house overall.
    Event: League Night! Travel League, 2nd shift
    There was some carrydown, but overall the lanes were flying. Used 2nd Dimension #2 to control the backends. By the end of the night was sliding on 44, crossing 28, breakpoint around 12. Shot 247, 254, 289 for 790. Had the front 10 the last game, needed the 2nd one in the 10th for 800, but left a 9 pin. Smoked the other team!

Overall
    The 2nd Dimension rolls very smooth but has a very strong backend motion. I would call it the perfect mix of the Dimension and the HyRoad. For me the HyRoad has a very aggressive backend and i need a very high volume of oil or a lot of carrydown for it to be affective. The Dimension is very smooth for me and I prefer it on shorter oil patterns and fresher conditions. The 2nd Dimension is the best of both worlds with a smooth roll through the fronts and a controllable angular motion on the back. The only time you couldn't really pull this out of your bag is on a condition with SUPER clean backends and that's it. This is by far is the best 2nd shift ball I've ever thrown.

How would it compare with a Domination, layed out the exact same way?
    www.mrbowling300.net High Game: 300 High Series: 833 (266-267-300), High Average 231 Equipment: Storm Hy-Road, DV8 Brutal Nightmare, DV8 Diva, Columbia White Dot.
    http://mrbowling300.com/mrb300avatar.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast