Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding the Yin and the Yang on Rotation

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

Just got back from league. We won 5 out of 7 so thats good.
    I rolled a 179 186 167 I was tight and missed more spares then any one should.
    My ball lost traction in the 2nd game so some one let me use some kegel ball spray, it worked and my ball traction came back.
    That way of cleaning works very well doesnt it...lol and always keep the 91% handy with you... i keep a big bottle in my bag at all times for in between sets.. Make sure you have it at trnys that you bowl multiple squads
    I will from now on lol...

without seeing the video (im on a cell phone at that moment) i bet we throw a similar style ball... when im feeling low on revs /lift i tuck my pinky under my hand before i put my fingers in the ball it gets my wrist to cup tighter it seems .i only do it on a real oily lane when i cant see the ball snap and im standing very right and hitting second arrow big thing for me is i rev more when im loose and relaxed,and not thinking about it .some nights im a "tweener" most nights im a "stroker" dont know until i pitch my first ball down the lane good luck my friend keep us posted
    I will try tuckinh my pinky, heck I'll try anything hehe. I have a 8 year old ball too but this week i'm getting the JigSaw drilled 4x4
    If that don't work better then I know its me and if that happens its tredmill/workout time lol
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

Chats: 13

Ahh the jigsaw is nice, my team capt just got one and it is aggressive. have you tried a wrist support at all?
    i don't but thinking about it. that was a good night 5of 7 will work for me tonight we start our fall/winter (a 32 week marathon) weeeee

Future PBA Baller

Thumbs up Good Luck gparks

Quote Originally Posted by gparks View Post
    Ahh the jigsaw is nice, my team capt just got one and it is aggressive. have you tried a wrist support at all?
    i don't but thinking about it. that was a good night 5of 7 will work for me tonight we start our fall/winter (a 32 week marathon) weeeee
    Yeah I got a hand wrist support I use some times, I took the bar out though just to use the grip and wrist strap.
    Good Luck on the fall/winter league
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..

Chats: 0

Default Share this cleaning technique?

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    That way of cleaning works very well doesnt it...lol and always keep the 91% handy with you... i keep a big bottle in my bag at all times for in between sets.. Make sure you have it at trnys that you bowl multiple squads
    would you mind sharing this cleaning technique?

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by Evilash71 View Post
    would you mind sharing this cleaning technique?
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/showthr...light=cleaning

The video is on my youtube
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

What is Bowling?

I was having the same trouble, just returning to bowling after 20 years. Then I read to stay behind the ball until thumb comes out at ankle (do not turn hand early) and then as the ball is coming off the finger tips the hand will turn naturally while the arm continues the follow through have been throwing a nice smooth hook ever since.

What is Bowling?

Default I'd be putting up my videos too

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
    Wow Thanks for the insite and I will take it to heart be trying what you said Jacky.
    I have been working on putting together this short video of me on 070709 and in july at the florida bowlers classic.
    My ball movment is not what I would like and Now my aim seems to be off. Its like my brain is saying H00k and my body is saying noway lol
    Heres that Vid Robert, I hope I'm not a lost cause hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8HZT7v186A

If the link does not work please let me know, this is my first time trying to do it...
    Thanks Robert!
    I'd be putting up my Youtube videos as well, sometime next week (editing them now).

See you around!

Jacky

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I was having the same trouble, just returning to bowling after 20 years. Then I read to stay behind the ball until thumb comes out at ankle (do not turn hand early) and then as the ball is coming off the finger tips the hand will turn naturally while the arm continues the follow through have been throwing a nice smooth hook ever since.
    This is a good description in terms of when the thumb exits the ball in relation to the ankle. Staying "behind" the ball, however, is only one piece of the puzzle. Since it can mean different things to different people, I'll clarify.

At the time your thumb exits the ball, transferring the weight of the ball onto your fingers, if you are "behind" the ball, it means the entire ball is between your hand and the foul line. We probably refer to this as "behind" because the backs of the fingers are furthest from the foul line while the ball is going forward. You can stay "behind" the ball without being "under" the ball by breaking your wrist. The ball will hook little if at all.

The second piece of the puzzle is staying "under" the ball. Think of a ball resting on the lane and compare it to the earth with the south pole being where the ball is touching the lane. The equator is right around the middle. Staying "under" the ball means that at the time your thumb exits the ball, transferring the weight of the ball onto your fingers, your fingers are "under" the equator. The further under, the more potential to impart revolutions on the ball. Think of it as having the entire ball between your fingers and the ceiling at the point where your thumb exits the ball. This requires a cupped writs.

If you can achieve both of the above - staying "behind" the ball and staying "under" the ball - when the thumb exits next to the ankle, all that's left to do is relax the wrist.

(Now before the technical guys and gals jump all over me - if you do all of the above exactly, the ball will rev but will have nothing but forward roll unless the ball is rotated slightly. That's true, but most people will do that as they move through the release and follow-through.)

If none of this makes sense to you, go grab a football. Can you throw and under-handed spiral with a football? Have someone stand across from you about 10 feet away. Throw the football in and underhanded spiral to that person. Usually when I'm coaching someone and ask them to do that, they can do it with little effort BUT the nose of the football is pointed at the person to whom the student is throwing the ball.

Try it again, but this time, throw an underhanded spiral with the belly of the football pointed at the catcher (the nose of the football is pointed to the side). Can you do it? If you can, then you've learned to stay behind (the ball is completely between your hand and the person catching) and under (the hand starts at the bottom with the entire ball between you and the ceiling/sky) the ball while throwing it. The more the ball spins, the higher your rev rate.

The tighter the spiral, the more you're using your wrist and the less you're using your fingers. This is the modern release. If the ball wobbles, you're using more of your fingers and less of your wrist. That's old school.

BTW - practicing with a football in this fashion can help develop a good release.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

MrBill - thanks for posting the video. That takes guys and a willingness to improve that many bowlers simply don't have.

I was lucky to be able to freeze-frame your video and make a couple of scribbles on it to illustrate my previous post. If you take this as criticism, please understand that I'm trying to be constructive. If you take a look at the picture, the red line points to what looks like where your fingers are in the ball at the point where your thumb is exiting the ball, or at least where your fingers are as the ball is next to your leg in the forward swing. The yellow line points to the "equator" of the ball. I would classify you as being "on top" of the ball. Almost the entire ball is between your fingers and the floor (instead of between your fingers and the ceiling) at release. There just isn't much you can do from this position to hook a ball.

The following picture is one I scraped off youtube from a slow motion video of Tommy Jones' release.. I know it isn't a fair comparison, but I know he can do it right, so I looked for a video of Mr. Jones. I used the same color lines to denote the same things - yellow line for equator and red line for finger position. You can see that he is below the equator and the ball is almost 100% between his fingers and the foul line. There's a whole bunch you can do with a ball from here!

To be fair to Mr. Jones, his fingers start lower/more under the ball before he begins to un-cup his wrist. The video is blocky, but without very high-end video equipment that allows you to capture 300+ frames per minute, some parts of the actual action get missed. It looks like the maker of the video did a fine job with the equipment at hand.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Future PBA Baller

Thumbs up good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson View Post
    MrBill - thanks for posting the video. That takes guys and a willingness to improve that many bowlers simply don't have.

I was lucky to be able to freeze-frame your video and make a couple of scribbles on it to illustrate my previous post. If you take this as criticism, please understand that I'm trying to be constructive. If you take a look at the picture, the red line points to what looks like where your fingers are in the ball at the point where your thumb is exiting the ball, or at least where your fingers are as the ball is next to your leg in the forward swing. The yellow line points to the "equator" of the ball. I would classify you as being "on top" of the ball. Almost the entire ball is between your fingers and the floor (instead of between your fingers and the ceiling) at release. There just isn't much you can do from this position to hook a ball.

The following picture is one I scraped off youtube from a slow motion video of Tommy Jones' release.. I know it isn't a fair comparison, but I know he can do it right, so I looked for a video of Mr. Jones. I used the same color lines to denote the same things - yellow line for equator and red line for finger position. You can see that he is below the equator and the ball is almost 100% between his fingers and the foul line. There's a whole bunch you can do with a ball from here!

To be fair to Mr. Jones, his fingers start lower/more under the ball before he begins to un-cup his wrist. The video is blocky, but without very high-end video equipment that allows you to capture 300+ frames per minute, some parts of the actual action get missed. It looks like the maker of the video did a fine job with the equipment at hand.
    This is great! JAnderson thanks for this, I did not catch that I was that much on top of the ball>
    I will heed this great advice and implement it today... I am happy to be here on these boards with all the great minds
    High Game/Series 263/637

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast