Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To League or NOT To League?

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default To League or NOT To League?

I've been bowling for a few months now. All the people at the lanes push you to join a league. Most of the leagues are anywhere from $15 to $20 a week. My location charges $5.75 a game for normal play. I usually bowl 2 to 3 games a night (once a week). I guess my real question is, what are the advantages of being in a league?

Mack Daddy
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

To League or Not to League, that is the question-
    If you're bowling just to practice or for fun, open bowling is great. But league bowling holds a number of advantages:
    1-Social networking. As stated in this forum before, nothing beats facebook better than a bowling center. It doesnt matter if you average 110 or 210, its a place to relax and have fun.
    2-Competition-this is where the practice pays off. Even in singles competition, nothing beats a team environment.
    3-Learning-Where else is the best place to learn how to make your game better? Books are great, but actually seeing someone do what is described in that book is better. Every league has a know-it-all, but for every know-it-all, there are 5 guys who actually know what they're talking about and willing to help with your game.

Talk to your center manager about league openings and when the meetings are held. The managers and owners I've talked to over the summer have bent over backwards to help find a league that fits, and I'm sure they'll do the same for you.
    There's always one off center in the rack

Info: AVG 206, Stroker, Righty, Gladiator Pearl, Track The Rising, Hammer Rayzr, Storm Virtual Gravity, Storm Reign, PBA Platinum

Wish List-Hammer Jigsaw

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

There is probably one more advantage that some league bowlers have too, and that is "a league discount card". My league and bowling center offer a discount card just for being a league member. I practiced a few weeks ago because I bought a new ball. It only costs 80 cents a game to practice. My league's fees are $16.00 a night with the usual costs for lineage, prize fund, and secretary fees.
    Mike Manning

Blog Entries

Playing league brought my game on and it is good fun and its a night out doing what you like doing, and ther is always someone there that will help you if you need it.

And I am sure you are like everone you will want to win, and that brings on your game.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

by joining a league you would be sanctioned through usbc and also be able to bow in tournaments if you choose.. without a league you wouldnt have a average and wouldnt be able to.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Chats: 3

A league will recognize your achievements as well. If you're bowling regularly and enjoying it, a league will really benefit your game. Plus, a lot of centers offer discounts for league bowlers. My center offers $1 a game and free locker rental, so practicing is cheaper!
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

SandBagger
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 52

Plus, as far as practice goes, the centers I visit will actually give preference to league bowlers vs. open bowlers when the lanes are crowded. Can't say thats true across the board, or just around here.

Lots of reasons for, only reason I can think of against is that in every league there are people who are . . . "interesting" to bowl with, which can enable you to practice your personal restraint towards your fellow (supposed) human beings.

Chats: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Graaille View Post
    Lots of reasons for, only reason I can think of against is that in every league there are people who are . . . "interesting" to bowl with, which can enable you to practice your personal restraint towards your fellow (supposed) human beings.
    interesting, yeah....that's the word. lol
    In my experiences with leagues...I've only come across 3-4 people per league that are "interesting". Other than that, the number of ""nice, fun" people definitely outnumbers the "interesting" ones.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    interesting, yeah....that's the word. lol
    In my experiences with leagues...I've only come across 3-4 people per league that are "interesting". Other than that, the number of ""nice, fun" people definitely outnumbers the "interesting" ones.
    Yes I think that is the same here in the UK the nice / fun out number the interesting ones but even with the interesting it is nice to stand back and watch them make fools of themself.

I'm joining a league three weeks from thursday. My center offers $1.29 per game for league bowlers and on certain days they open a few lanes so league players can play for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast