Thread: Detroit Bowling Community Mourns Loss of Veteran writer Doug Bradford

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Default Detroit Bowling Community Mourns Loss of Veteran writer Doug Bradford

Detroit Bowling Community Mourns Loss of Veteran Writer Doug Bradford
    Award-winning Detroit News bowling writer dies at age 81

DETROIT, Mich. (Aug. 30, 2009) – Doug Bradford, who kept the Detroit bowling community informed about the sport for years as bowling writer for the Detroit News, died Friday after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes. He was 81.

Bradford, a Toledo, Ohio, native graduated from the University of Toledo with a journalism degree in 1959. After stints with the Monroe Evening News and Toledo Blade in his home state, he joined the Detroit News staff in 1965 as a Metro West columnist. He later covered the Detroit Tigers, but when the opportunity presented itself to produce a weekly bowling page, he jumped at the chance.

Over the course of his career, Bradford was a regular winner in the annual Bowling Magazine Writing Competition and after retiring from the Detroit News, he served as a contest judge for more than a decade. He also won the Detroit Press Club's top award for featuring writing in 1967.

A skilled competitor on the lanes as well as behind his typewriter keyboard, Bradford “had his share of 300 games,” his wife of nearly 60 years, Clara, told Detroit News reporter Valeria Olander. “At one time he had close to 40 bowling balls in the rec room.”

Bradford is survived by his wife Clara, son Mark, daughters Ann Marie Lee and Fay Ellen Bray, five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Funeral services are pending at Howe-Petersen Funeral Home, 22546 Michigan Ave., Dearborn, Mich. (www.howepeterson.com<http://www.howepeterson.com/>).
    Go Broncos!

I hadn't heard that Mr. Bradford died. I followed his columns in the 70s and 80s
    www.mrbowling300.net High Game: 300 High Series: 833 (266-267-300), High Average 231 Equipment: Storm Hy-Road, DV8 Brutal Nightmare, DV8 Diva, Columbia White Dot.
    http://mrbowling300.com/mrb300avatar.gif

I am sorry to hear about him. I will pray for him. But I found that its a new section on this forum. Its good here we can remember them who are passed away.