Chats: 554

Default Ball Cleaner Showdown #3 Kegel Revive

Ball Cleaner Showdown #3
    by Al Loar

Kegel Revive Ball Cleaner
    -VS-
    Brunswick/Neo-Tac Hook-It

Ball used in test-
    Ebonite Striking Motion with the coverstock freshly cleaned and polished.

Ball condition at time of test-
    #1-The ball was thrown once on a freshly oiled house shot. Then allowed to sit for 30 minutes before cleaning.
    #2-The ball was also thrown once on a freshly oiled house shot. Then allowed to sit for several days before cleaning.
    Both times the ball was shiny with oil and no visible dirt or grime.

Cleaning procedure used-(This was done by hand without a ball spinner.)
    Kegel Rvive Cleaner was applied to half the ball and allowed to soak in 30 sec. Then rubbed in by hand with a microfiber towel until dry.
    Hook-It Cleaner was applied to the other half of the ball and allowed to soak in 30 sec. Then rubbed in by hand with a microfiber towel until dry.

What was looked for from product-
    The products cleaning ability and the amount of tacky feel (on a smooth finish ball) as compared to the fresh surface of the ball. Tacky feel is rated "No tack 1"-"5 Most tack"

The Results-
    Kegel Revive Ball Cleaner (which smells like 409) was applied to the 1st half of ball #1 and it removed from the surface all of the visible surface oil. The coverstock was clean, but oil lines could still be seen in the track area. Tacky feel rated at "2", but as the ball sat tackiness increased to about a "3". No noticable change with a second application.

Brunswick/Neo-Tac Hook-It was applied to the 2nd half of ball #1 and it removed from the surface all of the visible surface oil. The coverstock was clean and all oil lines were gone from the track area. Tacky feel rated at "5".

Results for ball #2 were the same.

Conclusion-
    After trying Kegel Revive Ball Cleaner for several sessions, I've found that it is a average ball cleaner. It will remove surface oil and about 85-90% of the grit & grime. If you apply more "elbow grease" and a second application, you can remove more stubborn surface grime. But does not draw out oil from the coverstock well (The visible oil lines left). Also the shrink wrap label tends to slip on the bottle as you try to pump the spray, just rip it off.

In the ads for Revive it says it lower's the ball's surface "energy" to slow dirt build up and oil aborption. I believe this accounts for the lower "tacky" feel, but I found if you keep rubbing for a longer time that the tackiness rating will go up some. As for the balls not building up dirt as fast, hard to say balls here have been staying pretty clean anyway.

"A thought if something is lowering the ball's friction (energy??) which is what picks up the dirt and also doesn't let the cover absorb oil. Might let the ball go longer a little. I haven't really seen this, it's just a thought."

Overall Revive is a alright general purpose ball cleaner, a little better than Ebonite Powerhouse Energizer Cleaner. But not as strong as Hook-It (My favorite).
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-15-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker