Thread: Ball Cleaner Showdown #2 Hook-It

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Ball Cleaner Showdown #2 Hook-It

Ball Cleaner Showdown #2
    by Al Loar

Product tested: HOOK-IT by Neo-Tac
    Claims to increase "Tac". Remove Oil,Dirt and Beltmarks. Leave dull balls dull and shiney balls shiney.

Ball used in test: Ebonite NitroR2 Classic with the coverstock (Reactive Resin) freshly Dulled to 600grit.

Ball condition at time of test-
    Ball was used for 3 games in a night Men's league. A medium oil pattern with a overall length of pattern was 41"
    After the league the ball was shiny with oil and a small amount of grime & dirt. The ball sat for 24 hours before cleaning.

Cleaning procedure used-(This was done without a ball spinner.)
    Cleaner was applied to half the ball and allowed to soak in 30-45 sec. Then rubbed in by hand with a papertowel until cleaned and then allowed to dry. Then repeated on other half of ball.

What was looked for from product-
    Cleaning ability,Ball dullness and amount of tacky feel as compared to the fresh surface of the ball. Tacky feel is rated "No tack 1"-"5 Most tack"

The Results-
    HOOK-IT returned all the coverstock dullness and removed all surface oil and grime. Of the visible oil lines at the start of test on the ball. About 33% of the lines remained visible.
    As for the Tacky feel HOOK-IT gave the ball a incredible tacky feel it rates a "5+"
    As a side test Clean'N Dull was applied to the ball. Just little more grime was removed and most of the visible track lines that were left.

Conlusion-
    Neo-Tac HOOK-IT is a excellent spray on ball surface cleaner. It removes all the surface oil and grime.It also removes some oil out of the coverstock. It does increase tac also.
    HOOK-IT is a good strong cleaner to use just after bowling and can be used during bowling as well.
    The results on particle balls are similar to these results. I wouldn't use it on a plastic ball, unless it had a real bad beltmark maybe.

(A caveat try to keep the product off of vinyl inserts, it can make them sticky. Also HOOK-IT has a strong odor, to some who are sensitive to strong odors this maybe a problem.)

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Excellent review.

I must ask, you mentioned using while bowling, will it help clean a ball, but not dry it out? Or make it feel too sticky like some brands?

You mentioned the odor, is it very strong where league members may complain?
    Go Broncos!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The KingPin View Post
    Excellent review.

I must ask, you mentioned using while bowling, will it help clean a ball, but not dry it out? Or make it feel too sticky like some brands?

You mentioned the odor, is it very strong where league members may complain?
    No the smell is not that bad that people would complain. The thing about the smell was mainly from those using it. Because you are in close proximity to it, plus it was the original formula. The one now is not as strong and is a little different.

What do you mean by "Dry it out" or "too sticky" ?

I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner make a ball "sticky", now if you mean "Tacky" where you can make your fingers squeak on the clean ball surface yes that's the whole point.
    or if you mean sticky because it left a residue, no it doesn't.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Yes I guess I mean more sticky like the residue left from using the product?

I made the mistake of buying some so called cleaner from ebay a while back and it left junk all over my ball. It was a horrible residue that every time I tried to wipe off my ball it just kept spreading and getting all over everything else. It got too sticky in some parts like sap from a tree.

I had to finally put my ball in a machine to clean it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Chris
    Go Broncos!

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

In your opinion, is HOOK-IT the best ball cleaner out there?

I have a Rouge Cell (got it a month ago) and need to start keeping ontop of it. It has a lot of oil marks that I want to remove.

Thanks!

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

Post H00k-it

All I use is H00K-IT and 91% alcohol
    I think they are the best Combo out there to keep your bowling balls clean.

Ooh and Roberts wash technique every few months..
    Last edited by mrbill; 09-17-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: more info
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheEricHarris View Post
    In your opinion, is HOOK-IT the best ball cleaner out there?

I have a Rouge Cell (got it a month ago) and need to start keeping ontop of it. It has a lot of oil marks that I want to remove.

Thanks!
    It's the best one I've used so far, I haven't tried all of them. I like it for general clean up at the lanes. I also recommend Clean N' Dull for a deeper cleaning after every so many games.

Hey 1820................good review. One thing lacking..........how did your ball react after the cleaning? I'm on the edge of buying this, but want to make sure I'm going to get the desired result.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tj4ndirish View Post
    Hey 1820................good review. One thing lacking..........how did your ball react after the cleaning? I'm on the edge of buying this, but want to make sure I'm going to get the desired result.

Thanks.
    The will have a good tacky feel and it regained the hook it had before it got dirty.

Ok, stupid question. Is Neo Tac Hook It, the same thing as Brunswick Hook It?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast