Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does buying from online bowling stores kill pro shops?

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by BowlnBrat View Post
    Not all pro shops would go for free drilling, but I have had 2 of my balls drilled free at my pro shop...not b/c of any returns or anything like that. But it was thrown in. Usually they charge just a small fee for drilling b/c they don't tack it onto the price of the ball...but I have talked them into free drilling on 2 occasions. And Dom is really good with cutting all kinds of deals on anything with his repeat customers and those that spend alot in his shop. He's thrown in plugs and grips for free, taken 25% off prices, etc. Dom's excellent when it comes to keeping his customers happy and keeping them returning to his shop. Some of the other shops in Greensboro don't treat their customers that well.
    do you get exotic layouts on your balls or just a generic drilling? reason I ask is that I see you throw 10lb. usually the companies dont start putting the actual weight blocks in the ball until 14lb and some 12lb like the tropical for example. you could maybe save some $$ with a generic layout since they will not have to completly map the ball out.
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Stunning
    Chats: 7

haha, don't get me wrong, i used to work in the proshop and i get heavily discounted as well. so does robert for a matter of fact, but thats just because hes good at talking people into/out of things. lol
    Jennifer
    19 years old
    bowling for 13 years
    current equipment:
    storm: hyroad, virtual gravity, ace
    ebonite: NVS, showtime, clash
    brunswick: twisted fury

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by BowlnBrat View Post
    I find that regardless of whether you buy the equipment online or in the pro shop...the price tends to come out close to the same. IE you buy a ball online for 199.99 but the pro shop charges 229.99 for that ball. Well, think about this...by the time you pay the shipping and handling and taxes for the online ball, it roughly comes out to be the same as if you bought that ball at the pro shop. Granted, alot of pro shops cut deals to those that buy in store on drilling, some may even throw in free drilling or reduced drilling. But to me, it just seems they are about the same whether you buy online or in the shop.

Personally, I prefer to buy from my pro shop. Like many of you have stated, they are there for the expertise in assuring you the proper fit, equipment and advice in what will work best for you. I am always running into the pro shop to ask them questions or get advice about something. I have become rather close with the owner, his wife as well as the driller in gaining very insightful advice and tips and majorly improving my game! ANd I would recommend his pro shop to anyone!

And that pro shop is D & J Pro Shop located at Triad Lanes in Greensboro, NC! Dom is the best one to go to for ensuring the proper fit and advice, while Clarence does the best drill work I have ever seen!
    So I called Dom today just to chit chat. No names were mentioned or anything, but I did ask if people buy balls online and then bring it to them if it hurts their business compared to buying from them directly?

After we got past the why are you calling and who am I, he started talking.

He said "We are the top dog around here." So being that everyone buys from them, who cares really. But then I asked about BowlingBoards.com, I mentioned that if I were to send a letter to them offering to advertise their specials for free if it would help them? He explained that he has his own website. So I asked if he would just throw my letter in the trash? Again he said they have their own site and there are the best around.

So what did I learn today?

Well if you are to be the top dog, location helps, but I also realize that not everyone starts on the top rung of the ladder.

So what were pro shops like when they first started out?

Did people matter then?

What about manners and respect once you made it?

So then I called pro shops in Colorado. I got the same attitude that who cares they will charge for drilling and that is where the money comes from.

I also had one pro shop guy pretend that he was listening when really he was busy talking.

I am very lost now
    Go Broncos!

Chats: 221

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    do you get exotic layouts on your balls or just a generic drilling? reason I ask is that I see you throw 10lb. usually the companies dont start putting the actual weight blocks in the ball until 14lb and some 12lb like the tropical for example. you could maybe save some $$ with a generic layout since they will not have to completly map the ball out.
    Just an FYI Storm/Roto and Brunswick use "real" although sometimes generic (Brunswick) cores down to 12lbs on all their equipment
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Not sure if it "kills" the pro shops....but it does keep them in check by bringing in competition (economics 101: Law of supply and demand)....Pro shops must be competitive and keep their prices competitive to compete with online stores. I don't have a problem with paying a little more in pro shops for supplies as you are paying for convenience vs. the days of shipping by buying online...but when they charge prices by thinking there is a monopoly in their immediate market...thats when they will notice a decline in sales.

What is Bowling? HammerOfJustice's Avatar
    Chats: 0

Default pro shops

I just recently bought a Venom and I had contemplated buying online vs pro shop. It was actually cheaper for me to buy from the pro shop due to "free drilling", discounted inserts and slugs. Most pro shops will charge quite a bit for drilling on a ball you did not purchase for them to create an incentive to buy the whole package from them.

Plus you get personal service (provided your pro shop employs good people) and advice that an online shop just can't offer.

As far as drilling charges at all the seminars i've attended the ball manufaturers recomend a minimum of $50.00 to drill a ball brought in to them. One shop i help out at has gone to ala carte pricing. So for examplee he sells a VG or VE for 149.95 + drilling, grips etc. slightly higher than the internet but not too bad. He's able to do that because he cut a deal with the center on his rent so his overhead is a little cheaper. The internet is not going away so pro shops beed to adapt to survive.

Chats: 64

I spent a few extra bucks and got the extended warranty plus which covers everything. I have the website copy my specs and they do a great job of drilling. I only do it all online because the closest decent pro shop is 2 hours away and the last time I went the guy went golfing, I had an appointment. I take my bowling seriously and love the game. I don't know about the pro shop online thing but I do like doing the research online and being able to order any hour of the night. What can I say, I'm an Internet junky.

Chats: 60

Default Proshop Wins imo

I purchase balls from my local proshop and accessories online. Seems to even out both parties. I prefer a face rather than a keyboard to do my communication.

Owl

In my case at the 2 shops i drll at we really don't care if the customer buys from us or brings it in. For our pricing we take our cost on the ball and add the drilling charge. The total is what we sell it for. The big difference is that if you buy the ball from us we and there is a problem with it we get the replacement for you and drill it for free. If you bought it online you have to send it back to them and hope they replace it. Once you get the replacement you have to pay to have it drilled.

All that being said it's sad that someone who buys 1 ball every 10 years can many times buy the ball for the same or less than the pro shop who buys hundreds a year. A couple of the manufacturers have put price floors in effect which set a minimum price for the internet to sell which helps the brick and mortar shops.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast