Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does buying from online bowling stores kill pro shops?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by PinCup View Post
    No matter if the pro-shop is leased or owner operated. Part of a pro-shop's lease (in most centers) is the repair of ANY damaged ball (including house balls).

Let's face facts, your ball will get marked up. The only way to keep it new is to keep it home. We do our absolute best to keep 'sharps' out of the machine, but with the amount of vibration these machine endure, it' surprising they stay together at all. Having an in-house Pro-shop saves us money in repairs.

Pro-shops leased also have an agreement to act as ambassador for the center, and to help with learn-to-bowl and coaching. Yes, some shops are better than others. If you are unhappy with who runs your in-house pro-shop, SPEAK UP!!! His lease may not be renewed.

Customers make our paychecks possible, we want you to be satisfied after each visit.

As a Mechanic, I have a call sheet at the desk where desk workers are supposed to write down every call. You as the league bowler have a duty to make sure any problems you experience during you shift gets written down on that sheet. I don't want to hear "Is 5 still dropping pins" if you didn't bother to tell anyone last week.
    If it isn't on the call sheet, it didn't happen.

If I didn't know the guy in the Pro-shop sucks, I won't replace him.

Good luck and Good bowling,
    PinCup
    Okay now I have to ask just how does that address the question about buying bowling equipment online and if it kills pro shops? Thats just talking about the relationship between the house and the proshop.

Now all this info about house operations and its relationship with the proshop and customers is good stuff, really it should have its own thread.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-15-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Now just a thought about online purchasing. I think who it hurts more are the distributors, if your not buying from the proshop. Then the proshop is not buying from the distributor.

I also have thought on a off shoot of the original question. How much business have proshops lost, do to all the bowlers who are buying spinners and doing theirs and friends equipment? You have the loss of resurfacing jobs, coverstock changes, polishing jobs. Those little jobs add up.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-16-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

For me, it all related to the economics of the bowling business. If the Pro-shop guy isn't making enough, he'll pull out. Then who knows what kind of skills (drilling and people) the next guy will have.

Your shoot off question,... Not too much loss due to guys that shop their own equipment. All the tools of the trade can be purchase new and used. Our forum has a classified section, and a pro-shop section where all the latest tech is discussed. It's a small slice of our customer base that has the desire and the funds the do the work themselves.

PinCup

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Now just a thought about online purchasing. I think who it hurts more are the distributors, if your not buying from the proshop. Then the proshop is not buying from the distributor.
    Online retailers purchase through distributors as well, so they make money no matter who you buy from.

Back to the original question, it's survival of the fittest.. the good pro shops will survive, the weak will die. That's the way everything in life works. If I ran a pro shop I would have a web site and I'd advertise online telling people to bring in their undrilled balls... then I'd work to make them my customer next time. I used to bowl at a house where the pro shop guy never had any training as far as drilling is concerned. He Would use a tape measure to mark the span and would put three holes somewhere close to the lines he drew. He also told everyone that came in there that the tornado was the highest performance ball at the time. So almost everyone had a Tornado. Needless to say, he's retired now... but he lasted 2YEARS!!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

My local pro shop charges $50 for drilling BUT it is included in the price of a ball purchased there. The pro shop I use, 40 miles away, has a sign that says $50 for drilling but when compared to what the same ball is on-line, he doesn't when purchased there. I'm not sure but I think he cuts me a deal. I called in February, ordered a Critical Theory (for my teammate/doubles partner), Misfit, Reckless, Revenge pin up and Revenge pin down. I offered to pay up front, knowing how bad the economy is but was told no as the Revenge had not been released yet (therefore price unknown). I was totally satisfied to spend under $900 for 5 balls properly fitted, grips and interchangeable thumbs. The service and advice I get from Matt at The Bowlers Store in Huber Heights, OH can not be matched by any on-line company.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345