Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does buying from online bowling stores kill pro shops?

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Question Does buying from online bowling stores kill pro shops?

Hello to all,

I am wondering if people buy bowling balls from online bowling stores, does this kill their sales, or is where the money really comes in from drilling?
    Last edited by The KingPin; 09-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    Go Broncos!

Bowling Black Belt
    Currently living in Utah, but I'm originally from Long Island, NY.
    Chats: 0

I know that most pro shops just charge an arm and a leg for drilling when you don't buy the ball from them. I personally would go to the pro shop owner first and see if you could work out a deal before ordering something online. Often times they will work with you as they are able to make the situation win-win for the both of you.

I also think it's the pro shop owners responsibility to provide the expertise a bowler needs, so that the customer will feel obliged to purchase their equipment from them in the future. I think some pro shop operators like to blame the internet for hurting their business, but the reality often is they aren't great marketers, and that is something they all need to work on.
    USBC Silver Certified Coach
    GSLBA Youth Committee
    The Bowling Approach - 'Improve Your Game, Frame By Frame'

Chats: 221

The problem from the pro shop starts by the fact that a person who buys one ball every 10 years can most times buy the ball for the same price or in some cases cheaper than the pro shop can buying obviosly a loy more balls than a single bowler. People complain about the cost of drilling a ball that is brought in. There is a lot more than just throwing 3 holes in it to do a proper job. From start to finish you will spend an hour or more and that's if you don't have to fit them. You pay for their expertise. A good driller can make huge gains in your game with proper fit and layout.

Yes, online sites have hurt Pro Shop sales. Those that are smart have adapted to this and are still in business.

For me I always buy from my Pro Shop because I know he gives me the best deal he can find and he takes care of many other things either at a discount or sometimes for free because I am such a good and regular customer. I also send many, many people his way and "word of mouth" advertising goes a long way towards helping Pro Shop sales.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    USBC Bronze Level Coach
    http://bowling.psaunders.net

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

I guess that is what I am leaning to, if bowlingboards.com were to work with some online bowling stores is that bad for business? I want pro shops to want to send people here to talk to, not put us down
    Go Broncos!

I find that regardless of whether you buy the equipment online or in the pro shop...the price tends to come out close to the same. IE you buy a ball online for 199.99 but the pro shop charges 229.99 for that ball. Well, think about this...by the time you pay the shipping and handling and taxes for the online ball, it roughly comes out to be the same as if you bought that ball at the pro shop. Granted, alot of pro shops cut deals to those that buy in store on drilling, some may even throw in free drilling or reduced drilling. But to me, it just seems they are about the same whether you buy online or in the shop.

Personally, I prefer to buy from my pro shop. Like many of you have stated, they are there for the expertise in assuring you the proper fit, equipment and advice in what will work best for you. I am always running into the pro shop to ask them questions or get advice about something. I have become rather close with the owner, his wife as well as the driller in gaining very insightful advice and tips and majorly improving my game! ANd I would recommend his pro shop to anyone!

And that pro shop is D & J Pro Shop located at Triad Lanes in Greensboro, NC! Dom is the best one to go to for ensuring the proper fit and advice, while Clarence does the best drill work I have ever seen!

~BowlnBrat~

Visit my FaceBook here!
    Equipment: 10# Brunswick Rattler, 10# Storm Tropical Storm (blue & orange) & 10# Ebonite Maxim (hot pink)

Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com!!

Stunning
    Chats: 7

im not too sure about throwing in a free drilling, but cutting deals as in throwing in grips and half price on a slug happens 9 times out of ten. it really all depends on the proshop you go to. some charge HIGH price if you order offline and bring in a ball such as one of our proshops in Jacksonville. they charge $50 to drill, plus $10 for grips, and $15 for a slug. now for those who dont like math here, thats $75...JUST FOR DRILLING. So in that case it would greatly benefit you to buy from the proshop. i do also know that most of the proshops here just take the price they got the ball for which the owners do get discounts, just add the price of drilling onto it, therefore making it cheaper to buy from there, also throwing in grips, but still charging for a slug. i think the only thing i would probably benefit from buying off a online store would be a bag of thumb slugs and grips.
    Jennifer
    19 years old
    bowling for 13 years
    current equipment:
    storm: hyroad, virtual gravity, ace
    ebonite: NVS, showtime, clash
    brunswick: twisted fury

Chats: 221

Keep in mind too that if there is a warranty issue . When buying online you have to ship thee ball back o them and then pay shipping for the replacement. And then pay to have the replacement drilled. Buy from the pro shop and they handle all that for you. If it's a ball bought from us we don't charge to drill the replacement. We even eat the slug and grips

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    Keep in mind too that if there is a warranty issue . When buying online you have to ship thee ball back o them and then pay shipping for the replacement. And then pay to have the replacement drilled. Buy from the pro shop and they handle all that for you. If it's a ball bought from us we don't charge to drill the replacement. We even eat the slug and grips
    i bet those dont taste very good..lol all that rubber and urethane... yuck! jkjk...
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Not all pro shops would go for free drilling, but I have had 2 of my balls drilled free at my pro shop...not b/c of any returns or anything like that. But it was thrown in. Usually they charge just a small fee for drilling b/c they don't tack it onto the price of the ball...but I have talked them into free drilling on 2 occasions. And Dom is really good with cutting all kinds of deals on anything with his repeat customers and those that spend alot in his shop. He's thrown in plugs and grips for free, taken 25% off prices, etc. Dom's excellent when it comes to keeping his customers happy and keeping them returning to his shop. Some of the other shops in Greensboro don't treat their customers that well.

~BowlnBrat~

Visit my FaceBook here!
    Equipment: 10# Brunswick Rattler, 10# Storm Tropical Storm (blue & orange) & 10# Ebonite Maxim (hot pink)

Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast