Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long did it take you to reach a 200+ average?

Chats: 0

Default The new 200 average

You need to set a new goal. Having a 200 average this day and age is like having a 170 average 20 years ago. I think the 200 average bar is pretty meaningless. Now if you can pull a 200 average on a sport shot or PBA pattern you are doing something. I had a rude awakening on my first PBA event when I was younger. I was a 230 plus average bowler at that time and my first PBA I averaged just 189 and was humbled. Dont worry about the 200 mark set it at 220. That is a little more meaningful. If you truly want to test yourself and see where you are at join a PBA experience league. Bowling in that type of condition will make you much much better and you will truly be able to see where your skills are at. By the way I hit my first 200 average at age 13 which was in 1985. I started bowling when I was 6 years old.

Chats: 221

It took me 6 years but that was back in the late 70's with plastic and rubber as your choices and some houses still using a laquer based oil. I carried 200 plus for the next 24 years till my foot injury. since then have had a high average of 184. However the recent surgery should allow me out of the cast to bowl and the average should return to 200+
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 1

It's taken me 2 years to finally get a 202 average, now I just have to keep it. I can relate to what Graaille said about lessons 'cause I did the same, went from 167 and dropped like a rock to come back in about 12 weeks to a 202. And I got to say it really feels good to be able to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Good luck and good bowling.

Mack Daddy
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

When I left bowling in 1994 I was averaging about 185. When I returned to the sport in 2006, I started out about where I left off, granted, I was just a sub. When I was able to return to a full schedule in 2008-09, with all new (used) equipment, my final average for the season was 206. So far this season, the averages are 195 and 201.
    There's always one off center in the rack

Info: AVG 206, Stroker, Righty, Gladiator Pearl, Track The Rising, Hammer Rayzr, Storm Virtual Gravity, Storm Reign, PBA Platinum

Wish List-Hammer Jigsaw

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 106

Quote Originally Posted by pvellenga View Post
    You need to set a new goal. Having a 200 average this day and age is like having a 170 average 20 years ago. I think the 200 average bar is pretty meaningless. Now if you can pull a 200 average on a sport shot or PBA pattern you are doing something. I had a rude awakening on my first PBA event when I was younger. I was a 230 plus average bowler at that time and my first PBA I averaged just 189 and was humbled. Dont worry about the 200 mark set it at 220. That is a little more meaningful. If you truly want to test yourself and see where you are at join a PBA experience league. Bowling in that type of condition will make you much much better and you will truly be able to see where your skills are at. By the way I hit my first 200 average at age 13 which was in 1985. I started bowling when I was 6 years old.
    I'm well aware that 200 average isn't much, don't worry I'm not stopping at 200 and I plan to join a PBA experience league next season, and my current average goal is 210 maintained through my 3 leagues this season, then 220 maintained through 2 leagues next season, and 190+ in the PBAX league, I'm already bowling on some sport patterns, and not doing too well I'll admit.

My average last season was 156, this was a big jump for me, 2/3 of my leagues are around 210 average right now through a month, and one is under 200.
    Last edited by Drano; 09-19-2009 at 11:03 PM.

It has taken me 10 moths to go from a 160 to a 202 on THS. I just joined a PBAX league, 2 weeks now, and I'm basically starting over. My goal is to hold a 180-190 average on PBA patterns at the end of the 36 week league.
    Talk To Your Ball, Listen To The Lane!

RH, HG 299, HS 714

In The Bag
    Energy - Gravity - Bite - Maxim

I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 13

I was low 200's in 93' when i quit due to marriage/ babies and all that. im back now bowled a trio league end season average of 190. now in the fall mens in week 6 im at 196,my problem is i have one junk game each week.no ryhme or reason to it one night it'll be 1st game next the 3rd etc.im working on it with my new found teamates/buddies. main thing is im having a blast and my team is tied for first. if it wasnt for my mysterious bad game a night id be pushing 210 or better,but no excuses coming from me ill get it sorted out.

Bowler
    Chats: 290

Umm i started bowling back in 2002 so this is my 7th year i think back than my avg was 57 my avg todate is 163 only bowled once in my leauge tho. I've also only been bowling a hook for 3 years now and when i started to do that my avg went from 110's - 160's its a huge diffrence, i also got a new bowling ball today and cant wait to roll it at my leauge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12