Thread: Inserts to no Inserts

Default Inserts to no Inserts

I am having trouble with my current ball that has fingertip inserts. I feel as if I have to squeeze the ball to get control/spin. I have bowled with balls that my fingers would go almost to the 2nd knuckle and I was able to generate more spin and speed without the loss of accuracy and control. Has anyone else done the same or know why I might get better results with no fingertips?

Chats: 2315

It sounds like you were using a semi fingertip or nearly conventional span. That's quite a bit different than "no inserts" which(just by the title) I thought still meant fingertip grip without the inserts. As for your question, I'm not really sure. Maybe there's something about having more of your fingers in the ball that gives you a greater sense of control.

It sounds as if there's a problem with your grip using fingertip, but I can only take a wild guess at what it might be. Maybe you're losing the ball in your downswing early so you're not able to generate any type of good release without squeezing the ball to get it to stay on your hand. Other than that, I'd be interested in what others have to say about this.
    Last edited by Strike Domination; 09-28-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Taking a guess I'd say the span is too short.

If you just took one of the balls that your fingers would go almost to the 2nd knuckle. Then added finger inserts without changing the span (or drilled a new ball using that span measurement.), then the span would be to short and you'd have to squeeze the ball to hang on to it.

A conventional grip span is shorter than a Semi-fingertip span and the Semi-fingertip span is shorter than Fingertip. So if the Semi-fingertip span measurement was used for your span with fingertips grips. It will be too short and you'll have a hard time hanging on
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-28-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 221

Definatly a fit issue. Span too short / grips too big etc. I recomewnd seeing your local pro shop for a refit. As far as grips/no grips goes it's personal preference.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I went to my proshop yesterday and had a refit done. My fingertip grips were too small for my fingers thus making the span too short. After properly putting the correct size grips in my hand was able to fit properly on the bowling ball and I got much better control. I also picked up the virtual energy last nite too...sweet ball. Thanks for your help

Bowler
    Chats: 290

I almost had the same problem but my thumb hole was drilled way off. I had the choice to get the virtual engergy but chose the black widow sting instead but that does look like a sweet ball.