Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball weight.

Default Ball weight.

How to choose the right weight for your ball?

Well, I've been sometimes having trouble with hitting the seven pin. I'm a right handed bowler. Sometimes the ball would fly out to the gutter or it will miss it's mark and go towards the middle. I was wondering if using a lighter ball would help me?

I am about 180 lbs and currently bowling a 15 lbs ball. I was thinking of going down one, to a 14 lbs.

Does your arm feel like its going to fall off at the end of the night?
    Does your wrist hurt at the end of the night? If neither of these are issues I would suggest staying with a 15lb bowl...you can also get a gripmaster or squeeze ball to help build forearm and wrist strength.

Chats: 221

You want to throw the heaviest ball you can comfortably throw. Lighter balls allow you to "muscle" the ball easier aand not be as consistant in hitting your target
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 2315

You most likely want to stay with the same weight as your strike ball. Or are you using the same ball for strikes and spares? If that's the case then you definitely want to throw the heaviest ball you can handle physically.

It defiinitely sounds like more of an approach/release problem than a ball weight problem...you need to be comfortable with all your mechanics before you start playing with ball reactions and weights

Quote Originally Posted by screwball633 View Post
    Does your wrist hurt at the end of the night? If neither of these are issues I would suggest staying with a 15lb bowl...you can also get a gripmaster or squeeze ball to help build forearm and wrist strength.
    My arm feel okay after bowling several games, but my wrist and hand does hurt a bit and get sore. I do have one of them exercise gripping thing. I will try to use it often to help with the hand and wrist strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike Domination View Post
    You most likely want to stay with the same weight as your strike ball. Or are you using the same ball for strikes and spares? If that's the case then you definitely want to throw the heaviest ball you can handle physically.
    Yes I am using the same ball for strikes and spares. As I don't have a spare ball.

Oh yeah, my lower back also get sore sometimes by the end of the night.

It defiinitely sounds like more of an approach/release problem than a ball weight problem...you need to be comfortable with all your mechanics before you start playing with ball reactions and weights
    That might be true. As I just started bowling with the ball I have for only a few weeks. About a game per week.

If the hole on the ball is drill slightly far apart for your hand. Would that effect your bowling and hand? This is the first ball I got drill for myself and want to get everything right, before I drill my next ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast