Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive 10 pin leaves

Question Excessive 10 pin leaves

Our house shot has slightly moved away from the THS, and spread the oil more outside, it's apparent across all the leagues - avg's are down 10 pins atleast.

I've really gained a lot of confidence in my rolling - I'm more consistent overall. I still have the bad shots every now and then, but that is work in progress, mostly from a mental break.

The question is, consistently being in the pocket and wrapping the 10 strong - seldom is weak 10. What should I focus on to reduce this - breakpoint?

Looking closer/farther doesn't seem to make a difference, speed related? I've tried different balls with different RG and still same instance, only been shooting 60's - very hard to string them together.

I have noticed that the high pocket shots are even wrapping 10 strong, not many 4 pin leaves unless it's a very high shot, the outside shot with strong roll to the pocket typical 10 pin leave, but different weak/strong. I've moved inside with little swing, as I am a stroker, and sometimes over under reactions with a pearl - with the solid's are where I'm getting a lot of wrapped 10's. I know this is part of the game and I'm still very positive about my game getting to the pocket consistently.

I'm just trying to see adjustment concepts I can do to help with this - in the last 2 fresh shot nights, I've left 29 10 pins , 15 the first week, and 14 the second week. On the evening that I bowl that has a mixed couple league before us, I carry well playing the same line. This makes me think breakpoint or strength into the pocket is the difference. Is this correct or should I focus elsewhere?
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 13

sounds like you've covered all the bases..

this is a simple trick my mom taught me last year..... if your good in pocket and leaving corners take a half step back if your light,half step up if your heavy.

it's not 100% fix for me but it has worked for me rather good. i feel your pain of having a good look at the pocket and not bury 10 in the pit.my ten pins have dropped alot since i got my virtual gravity it really carries well for my low rev/stroker style,but it's a fine line with it .i can get into big trouble with it.i'm thinking of getting a 2nd one with a little weaker drill and get it polished,heh what am i thinking i should just get the virtual energy

good luck ,im shure you'll find and fix the problem

Chats: 0

First,how is the ball supposed to hit the pins?The ball should enter the pocket
    so that it strikes the 3 on its left-hand third(for right-handers).This forces
    the 3 into the 6 at an angle so the 6 comes off the side-board into the 10.
    If you are hitting too much of the 3(closer to the center of the pin),the 3 sends
    the 6 into the side-board at an angle that sends it around the 10.This is a
    "half-pocket 10 pin." The half-pocket 10 is when the ball looks like makes
    contact with the headpin and 3 at the same time.It doesn't,but it will look that
    way because of the angle at which it enters the pocket.You are getting to much
    of the 3 with the ball,so you will need to make a slight adjustment to carry it out.
    You can tighten your line,adjust everything about a board-either right with
    your feet or left with your target,increase your hook slightly.The correct move
    will be the one to get the ball to strike the 3 on the left third of the pin.

The ringing tens.
    First there is one where the 6 shoots up and wraps around the neck of the 10.
    This usually says,that there is an entry angle problem.The ball is entering the
    pocket at an angle that causes the 6 to fly out and up toward the neck of the 10.This happens because the ball is pushing the 3 too far back so the chain
    reaction causes this result.
    The fixes are easy.Either soften up the entry angle with your hand or by
    tightening your line and firming up your speed,moving left and softening up
    your speed,or change to a ball that has a similar front end movement but
    less aggressive on the backend.

Second ringing 10.When the 6 shoots around the middle of the 10,it is still
    called a ringing 10,but the cause and solution are different.The cause is
    similar and the solutions are also,but in this case,the preferable option
    is to slow the ball down.You just need give it a split second more reaction
    time and a softer hit.

Third ringing 10.There is an occasional 10 leave where the 6 shoots around
    the base of the 10.There is nothing you can do about it.Normally,this is telling
    you the 3 may be of spot,so check the pin placements.

The soft 10. The ball enters the pocket either fairly flush or half-pocket and the 6 just falls falls in the gutter next to the 10.Generally,this tells you that you
    have hold in the middle part of the lane and you are either too fast or too deep
    with the ball you have to use it.Since this hold always creates high scores
    you want to be able to take advantage of it.
    There are at least three adjustments you can make.If you are a hard thrower,
    slow the ball down and send it a little right to open up the lane.You want
    your feet to be far enough outside so you have "tug" area inside.Second:make
    sure that the ball doesn't start on the oil and stay on the oil.Hold only helps
    if you are in a position to use it to set up your shot when needed.
    Third:Check the equipment you are using.This is the time to use larger flaring balls.The swing area outside and hold area inside means the lanes are wide
    open so you will want the ball that can produce the most strikes.Always make
    physical adjustments first.Changing balls should always be last.

The first rule of good scoring is "Keep the pins low on the deck"When pins fly,
    you want them flying around at the height that is equal to the fattest part of
    the pins when they are standing.
    When a pin flies around mid-pin high,you have a better chance of that pin hitting something else.If the pins you have knocked down are rolling around on the pindeck,they have a better chance to hit something.
    When all of the pin action is up toward the neck of pins or higher your chances
    of carrying are less.

One last word.The "messenger strike".This may look cool,and you may carry
    one of these hits,we don't play for these.It is the sign of a mistake that went right.In order to get a messenger(the head pin)to go back across the lane to the 10,you have the ball coming in late (light).
    Unless you are a cranker who plays for light pocket hits"and is going to pay
    the price in a split combo".You need to slow your ball speed down a little to
    get the shot into the strike area.
    Last edited by Motiv Girl; 04-21-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

Thumbs up Motiv Girl Gold level coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Motiv Girl View Post
    First,how is the ball supposed to hit the pins?The ball should enter the pocket
    so that it strikes the 3 on its left-hand third(for right-handers).This forces
    the 3 into the 6 at an angle so the 6 comes off the side-board into the 10.
    If you are hitting too much of the 3(closer to the center of the pin),the 3 sends
    the 6 into the side-board at an angle that sends it around the 10.This is a
    "half-pocket 10 pin." The half-pocket 10 is when the ball looks like makes
    contact with the headpin and 3 at the same time.It doesn't,but it will look that
    way because of the angle at which it enters the pocket.You are getting to much
    of the 3 with the ball,so you will need to make a slight adjustment to carry it out.
    You can tighten your line,adjust everything about a board-either right with
    your feet or left with your target,increase your hook slightly.The correct move
    will be the one to get the ball to strike the 3 on the left third of the pin.

The ringing tens.
    First there is one where the 6 shoots up and wraps around the neck of the 10.
    This usually says,that there is an entry angle problem.The ball is entering the
    pocket at an angle that causes the 6 to fly out and up toward the neck of the 10.This happens because the ball is pushing the 3 too far back so the chain
    reaction causes this result.
    The fixes are easy.Either soften up the entry angle with your hand or by
    tightening your line and firming up your speed,moving left and softening up
    your speed,or change to a ball that has a similar front end movement but
    less aggressive on the backend.

Second ringing 10.When the 6 shoots around the middle of the 10,it is still
    called a ringing 10,but the cause and solution are different.The cause is
    similar and the solutions are also,but in this case,the preferable option
    is to slow the ball down.You just need give it a split second more reaction
    time and a softer hit.

Third ringing 10.There is an occasional 10 leave where the 6 shoots around
    the base of the 10.There is nothing you can do about it.Normally,this is telling
    you the 3 may be of spot,so check the pin placements.

The soft 10. The ball enters the pocket either fairly flush or half-pocket and the 6 just falls falls in the gutter next to the 10.Generally,this tells you that you
    have hold in the middle part of the lane and you are either too fast or too deep
    with the ball you have to use it.Since this hold always creates high scores
    you want to be able to take advantage of it.
    There are at least three adjustments you can make.If you are a hard thrower,
    slow the ball down and send it a little right to open up the lane.You want
    your feet to be far enough outside so you have "tug" area inside.Second:make
    sure that the ball doesn't start on the oil and stay on the oil.Hold only helps
    if you are in a position to use it to set up your shot when needed.
    Third:Check the equipment you are using.This is the time to use larger flaring balls.The swing area outside and hold area inside means the lanes are wide
    open so you will want the ball that can produce the most strikes.Always make
    physical adjustments first.Changing balls should always be last.

The first rule of good scoring is "Keep the pins low on the deck"When pins fly,
    you want them flying around at the height that is equal to the fattest part of
    the pins when they are standing.
    When a pin flies around mid-pin high,you have a better chance of that pin hitting something else.If the pins you have knocked down are rolling around on the pindeck,they have a better chance to hit something.
    When all of the pin action is up toward the neck of pins or higher your chances
    of carrying are less.

One last word.The "messenger strike".This may look cool,and you may carry
    one of these hits,we don't play for these.It is the sign of a mistake that went right.In order to get a messenger(the head pin)to go back across the lane to the 10,you have the ball coming in late (light).
    Unless you are a cranker who plays for light pocket hits"and is going to pay
    the price in a split combo".You need to slow your ball speed down a little to
    get the shot into the strike area.

This was posted by Coolerman on BBE.He is my coach and mentor.
    Motiv Girl you are so lucky to have a coach that gives such great advice and insite.
    I hope you dont mind if I ride your info coat tails into the PBA
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

mrbill, please do. We need more stars in today's PBA.
    Bowl well my friend! Good Luck!

Bowler

This is great advice, thanks for posting. I left about7-8 ten pins yesterday on perfect pocket shots. I had always heard to move right one board or move back a half-step on the approach. I got my ball speed up, which after reading this I now know was the exact wrong thing to do!

Thanks again.

Let's work on the four pin.The "solid" four is telling us that our ball is finishing too hard
    (too much angle and drive).With balls in the old school days (plastic,rubber,urethane) the
    adjustment was easy,move feet one or two boards left and keep same target and execution.
    With the nuclear powered balls today this is not enough.Especially when the backends are
    always so fresh.Now we should move three to five boards left and two to three boards on
    the lanes to make the ball deflect enough to carry the four pin.You may try a one to two
    board move,and it might work for one frame,but you may leave a four-six split.You have
    to adjust ahead of the need,not a frame or to late.

The blower seven pin.The five pin is supposed to take out the seven pin,but it just misses
    and goes to the side board.This is because of too much deflection.Solution should bejust
    keep the same ball speed,rev rate,etc.) and move your feet one board right.This will
    get your shot into the pocket at the right angle so the deflection will not only carry
    the seven but also give you better deflection angle for flush pocket hits as well.

Chats: 221

In most cases on todays shots and todays equipment it's entry angle. s MotivGirl said the adjustments are not as simple as the old days. Most time i find a 3 and 2 or a 4 and 3 left will lessen the angle and help carry by catching less of the dry. The other common thing is excessive speed not giving the pins enough time to "mix" and causing the to "fly". Keep in mind that there is much more area at the bottom half of the pin to contact rather than the neck
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

What is Bowling?

RESURFACE YOUR BALL! go down ONE grit...if your ball is at 2000grit, resand with 1000grit, etc. this will give you a little sharper angle entry into the pocket for more carry and pin action

Chats: 221

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetball View Post
    RESURFACE YOUR BALL! go down ONE grit...if your ball is at 2000grit, resand with 1000grit, etc. this will give you a little sharper angle entry into the pocket for more carry and pin action
    Exactly oposite as far as a sharper angle goes. Lowering the grit will cause the ball to read earlier and smooth out the reaction. That being said a slightly duller ball is a good option as it does decrease entry angle
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast