Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiences getting ball drilled online?

Chats: 0

Default Experiences getting ball drilled online?

Now first off let me say that i have had all my equipment drilled at pro shops. Two different ones to be exact. One guy is very clear that he will discount nothing and so you pay a premium. He does however drill an excellent ball.

The other is hit or miss. If you buy enough he'll discount, throw in some grips or a slug etc. Pretty nice guy. I dont' think he's quite up to par with the other guy in terms of the final job. Only issue there is sometimes he's a bit pre-occupied or overly busy so he'll tend to hurry to get your ball done unless you are right there when he does it.

Having said all of this i have purchased shoes and accessories but never a ball online. I notice one of the sites lets you send your measurements in or a ball with a drilling you like, they copy that, and they will drill it for you. I was wondering if anyone had used this service and if so what your experience was with it.

I am big on going to the pro shop but as of late have become a bit tired of the hit or miss feel to it all. Sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes not, sometimes a great drilling, sometimes just ok.

Any input on this?

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

I was always wondering, "what if" on getting new drilled bowling balls online. Now I'm less likely to do it me thinks.
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

Chats: 106

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
    I was always wondering, "what if" on getting new drilled bowling balls online. Now I'm less likely to do it me thinks.
    Whys that?

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

Because of the "hit and miss aspect" I dont wanna keep sending it back to get redrilled.
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"

Chats: 106

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
    Because of the "hit and miss aspect" I dont wanna keep sending it back to get redrilled.
    Where do you get that from? The OP says one of his local pro-shops is hit and miss. He's never tried online drilling

Chats: 221

I'm thinking he is refering to the possible hit or miss that online drilling would be just like at a lot of pro shops. You don't know who's drilling your ball at the online store. It could be a veteran of drilling or a kid that's just learning. I know someone who has Buddies Pro Shop do his stuff and he's been very satsfied.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Now first off let me say that i have had all my equipment drilled at pro shops. Two different ones to be exact. One guy is very clear that he will discount nothing and so you pay a premium. He does however drill an excellent ball.
    What pro shops have you gone to? I have nothing but good experience with the pro shop inside of Bowl El Paso (sorry can't remember the name) on the Eastside. I personally have purchased 2 balls from him, and my family has purchased 4 others. His prices are fairly reasonable (more than online, but he includes fitting and drilling.)

Chats: 1

I've never ordered a ball on line, and don't plan to. Although I can see where it becomes an option when you don't have a good pro shop to go to. A few reasons why I don't think I could do it is I would always wonder what if, and could you trust some one to measure your hand to send in, and I've gotten to know the guys at the pro shop and I've never gotten bad service or bad balls from them, not to mention the prices are with in about 10.00 of on line sales when you ad in the drilling fees. Good luck and good bowling Bill

Chats: 221

Another aspect to consider is that while most shops will open your thumbhole if needed for free There are others that will charge you. Factor in the cost of shipping the ball back if there is a problem with the fit or drilling and you ned to question if it's worth it.
    The bottom line is you have to decide quality or price, which is more important to you. How does the guy who does a great drill feel about you bringing in a ball to him? Do you save enough to make it worthwhile?nly you can answer that.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

What you have to consider when getting a ball drilled online is that the person that is drilling doesn't know you or how you throw the ball. If you are able to send videos to the website as well as you specs including you PAP they can being somewhat more accurate. But still they have no idea what type of pattern you bowl league on where if you have a "good " pro shop operator they know all these variables and should be able to match your equipment up to you. Most of the time spending a few extra dollars in a pro shop is going to benefit you more.

Jimmy Martin
    Roto-Grip Staff
    Striking Advantage Pro Shop
    Titusville FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast