Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need revs!

Default I need revs!

This is a video I made of my release. I am looking to cover more boards. I feel like my muscle memory has made it very difficult to change my release. I am looking for drills to help me increase revs on my ball. Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8Al2gwxOM

Chats: 106

It's hard to see what you're doing from a restricted back-view of just the release itself, your footwork looks a little fast, it looks like you're taking 5 steps and starting your push-away on the very first step, while a normal 5-step approach's pushaway should start on the 2nd step.

I'd also suggest experimenting with different release positions, the tip that helped me get my revs was from a PBA telecast where randy pedersen mentioned that the pros play the inside of the ball to get revs, while amateurs play the outside of the ball.

A bigger help would be to get a local certified USBC coach to help you out

Thanks Drano. I agree with you on the playing outside the ball. I am trying to get working with a coach in my area. He said we just have to adjust my hand position. When I slowed the video down, I noticed that I was coming above the equator of the ball. I'll post videos as I work on things too. Thanks again!

Watching the video I seem to see these things,

1. Dropping of the shoulder. Indication of not enough Knee bend usually.
    2. Drift of 3 to 4 boards left in approach from stance to slide. We should walk at our target.
    3. Slide foot turning at foul line, sometimes parallel to it. Common for bowlers that like to kick that other leg clear to the side instead of it following behind them as they slide . This also causes the hips to open which causes the shoulders to open then as well.

While these things do not answer the question directly, they can all impact our release and any of these are easy adjustments.

Looking good

Chats: 106

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo Kid View Post

2. Drift of 3 to 4 boards left in approach from stance to slide. We should walk at our target.
    3. Slide foot turning at foul line, sometimes parallel to it. Common for bowlers that like to kick that other leg clear to the side instead of it following behind them as they slide . This also causes the hips to open which causes the shoulders to open then as well.

While these things do not answer the question directly, they can all impact our release and any of these are easy adjustments.

Looking good
    Robert smith does pretty much all those things you said and he has the highest revs of thumb-users on tour

the advice you gave would be good for someone looking to decrease revs i think

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo Kid View Post

Looking good
    I second these comments - this was MY ISSUE major, and they are tendencies that are hard to break - I've since removed my wrist band and roll free form now - a little more revs but it clearly helps me get through the shot (but I still don't bend enough) - I don't drift, but the foot turning at the foul line and dropping shoulder is a big NO NO for me. I work so hard to stay down and a little open at the foul line, to stay inside the ball rev's.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Iceman, so how did you fix these problems. Obviously I have video taped myself, but I don't know how to fix these problems. When I start bowling my muscle memory takes over. I love the way Chris Barnes delivers the ball and I would love to look like him some day. I understand he is a professional, but with enough hard work I should be able to get close.

Quote Originally Posted by Clearym25 View Post
    This is a video I made of my release. I am looking to cover more boards. I feel like my muscle memory has made it very difficult to change my release. I am looking for drills to help me increase revs on my ball. Any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8Al2gwxOM

Your Cousin Dave can't help ya out?
    Brent Dolan www.alltenback.com
    USBC average to date 201, USBC High Game 278,USBC High Series 713, Newest Video Post

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Robert smith does pretty much all those things you said and he has the highest revs of thumb-users on tour

the advice you gave would be good for someone looking to decrease revs i think
    Thanks Drano! I should have put an asterisk for "some exceptions may apply"

Here is a video I quickly found on you tube of a bowler that I believe nicely exhibits my observations. Utilizing some of these techniques if the o/p so desired, he could possibly achieve his goal in his original post to "cover more boards"

In the very first frame of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAhobUSyJOQ PBA player Forkel's natural and non mechanical style nicely demonstrates how to obtain lift threw leverage to generate more than adequate "quality" revolutions.

Don't listen to me, last time I bowled in a league was 1992

Revs come from your wrist going from cupped to uncupped. You do not need to have an excessively cupped wrist position. An underhand pass of a football will give you the feeling of going from cupped to uncupped.
    Revs also come from an acceleration of the arm swing. Most bowlers will cause a deceleration of the arm swing by trying to grab and lift the ball. The proper feel would be accelerating the swing as it passes your right leg on the downward swing. Not a grabbing pulling of the swing, just an acceleration of the swing toward the target.

Learn the feel of going from cupped to uncupped. Think about backing up your release and accelerating the swing. Your rev rate, balance and scores will all be much better.
    Last edited by coach_x; 01-19-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast