Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drilling styles and pap

Default drilling styles and pap

ok what are different drilling styles and how do they affect you and the ball second what is pap

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by wes909 View Post
    what is pap
    P.A.P. (POSITIVE AXIS POINT) The axis of the ball during the first few revolutions that is created totally by the bowlers release style.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Entire books have been written on the subject of ball dynamics and layout. For example "Revolutions II" by Chip Zielke. http://www.bowlersparadise.com/shop/..._ii_book.shtml It has been accused of being Brunswick-centric, but it will give you the basics.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

so when i have them drill my ball how should i tell them to do it

SandBagger
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 52

Ok, let's give you the quick-n-dirty. As I don't know your level of expertise - forgive me if it starts too basically.

As was previously said, PAP (positive axis point) is the line (axis) that the ball spins around when it comes off of the bowler's hand. If you're consistant in your release you have a better chance of saying "My PAP is X across by X up/down", if you're not yet consistant in your release - it's a relatively moot point.

Two main types of grips - Conventional where the fingers and thumb both enter up to the 2nd knuckle, and fingertip where the thumb goes all the way in, but the middle and ring finger goes in only to the first knuckle. Most house balls are drilled conventional - most people who own their own ball have it drilled fingertip for more hook potential. I find I can bowl longer w/a fingertip grip because the ball lays in my hand more and I'm not having to use hand strength to control the ball.

As far as drilling (as far as pin placement in relation to the CG (Center of Gravity)), the best thing I can do is give you this link http://marketing.lanemasters.com/LM_...uctions_09.pdf and have you look at it - it tells (and shows) the basics far better than I can explain. The info there is based on "typical" reactions for an "average" bowler. Of course, it all depends on your style, your ball, your house, the time of day, season of the year, # of days in the month, etc.....
    Last edited by Graaille; 01-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.

what program do i open that with adobe?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Graaille View Post
    As far as drilling (as far as pin placement in relation to the CG (Center of Gravity)), the best thing I can do is give you this link http://marketing.lanemasters.com/LM_...uctions_09.pdf and have you look at it - it tells (and shows) the basics far better than I can explain. The info there is based on "typical" reactions for an "average" bowler. Of course, it all depends on your style, your ball, your house, the time of day, season of the year, # of days in the month, etc.....
    Great info Graaille. Very useful link. Do those guidelines apply to any brand bowling ball or just Lane Masters?

Chats: 221

In general they apply to all. However when you get into an asymetrical ball the only things that matter are the pin and Mb(mass bias). The only factor the cg has is on whether it will require a weigh t hole or not. If you go to http://www.morichbowling.com/Drillin...gleSeminar.htm it explains layout options for asymetrical balls
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

SandBagger
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 52

It pertains to symmetric balls in general, but as Stormed1 says - asymmetric balls are another can o'worms, and Mo Pinel at Morich (see the link) is probably one of the 4 best people out there on drilling asymmetrics.

Chats: 221

That man's knowledge will just blow you away. A couple years ago at a seminar on the Awesome Revs one of the pro shop operators asked Mo about a ball he drilled that did nothing for his customer. Mo took the ball and went into the pro shop. He located the customers PAP and checked the layout. He scaled the ball to see where it was statically and then told the pro shop guy where to put the hole, what size and depth. No chart, all out of his head. He then looked at the drill the shop had and said , oh you cant do that on your machine so do this. Out of curiosity we asked the guy to let us know how the change worked. End result was 7-10 boards more hook. Apart from that Mo's a trip as a speaker
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast