Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't bowling in the Olympics?

Default Why isn't bowling in the Olympics?

I'm inviting anyone and everyone to share their thoughts on why bowling is not an Olympic event? Save for a few years it was an "exhibition" sport, bowling just never made it to the "Bigs". Yet it is the largest participating sport in the U.S. boasting over 60 million people bowling last year. As if that wasn't enough, over 2 million people across the country were involved in regular league bowling! So, clearly the numbers are there for it to be a big league sport... but why doesn't the Olympic Committee see it the same way? The fact that it is a sport enjoyed the world over, you'd think it would have been an Olympic event already.
    So what's your take? Politics? Money? Old grudges? I've heard them all.

I think they explained this on the pepsi red,white and blue telecast. The usbc is making attempts to get bowling considered by the oly usoc. In order for that to happen, every bowling center across...

the nation and worldwide must have the same oil patterns, to make it fair, so no one has a advantage or disadvantage. Hence the red,white and blue oil patterns. This way, there would be a worldwide...

standard oil pattern used by all with three tiers. beginner, intermediate and expert or professional. It's really an awesome idea, and I hope it works out! Hope all our centers participate!

Then we can see the sport we all love get it's rightful recognition in the Olympics, and see the best bowlers in the world compete for the title of best bowler in the world!
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-25-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Chats: 3

It really should be an olympic sport. I mean seriously...curling? How can you tell me curling is a sport worthy of the olympics while bowling, the largest recreational sport in the world, is not? It doesn't make sense. I expect bowling will get its recognition someday.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

I have heard that one reason bowling is not an Olympic sport is that there is a controversy over whether it is a "sport" or not. But when you look at some of the so called "sports" already in the Olympics you become baffled as to why there is any doubt. I agree with you Jord_84 about the Olympics accepting Curling as a sport, but not yet accepting bowling. I'm also baffled by Synchronized swimming, rythmatic tumbling, and Olympic facepainting. Just kidding about that last one, but you get my meaning.

pdx_magic,

I am curious if you are going to write an article about this?

Some of the things I have read and unfortunately can't further clarify or give proper references:

1. There are a limited number of sports in the olympics. For a new sport to start, an existing sport must end its participation in the olympics.

2. Most countries do not have a single governing body behind bowling. That is part of what lead to the creation of the USBC.

3. Politics of the olympics sports governing body.

4. Money - bowling doesn't lend itself well to large stadiums with lots of seats with their associated price tags.

5. Credibility - whether we want to admit it or not, bowling is one of the few sports where you can go down to the local bowling center and see local hacks outscoring the best in the world on TV.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

I know I'm new here and this will ruffle a bunch of feathers, but I feel the same way about golf as I do about bowling.(and I'm a PGA teaching professional)

It's not really a sport, any game you can play when you're 50 yrs old with a beer in one hand and a corn dog in the other is not a sport to me. sorry

but then again neither is curling as listed above. don't know what to say except that it will be someday, when there is a Tiger Woods of bowling and can push it through whether it's a dumb idea or not.

Chats: 106

Quote Originally Posted by mattro View Post
    any game you can play when you're 50 yrs old with a beer in one hand and a corn dog in the other is not a sport to me
    TBH not sure how one would do this in bowling. Or golfing for that matter, don't you need to like, swing a club?

lol. u tell em drano! According to websters, sport is defined as recreation, physical activity engaged in for pleasure, fun. I think bowling fits that description, don't you??? :P

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

I"m pretty sure you know what I meant when I said that. Like I said, not trying to ruffle any feathers, just the way I feel about it. I"m well aware that if you have a beer in one hand and a corn dog in the other you can't bowl, or swing a golf club for that matter. but I can bowl with a beer in one hand and a corn dog in my mouth. lol I've personally both seen and done it.

I do however after further thought feel that bowling deserves to be an Olympic sport more than golf. After all the PGA tour is already pretty much a world wide tour, in the fact that all the best players in the world play there. As far as the PBA goes, I'm not so sure. The idea of the Red. White, & Blue oil pattern is very interesting and think it will make strides to elevate bowling i international competition. Next stop is Olympics.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast